Code:
    NL Central	W	L	WPct	RS	RA	AVG	OBP	SLG
    St. Louis	88	74	0.543	763	695	0.271	0.347	0.409
    Milwaukee 	85	77	0.525	767	730	0.262	0.332	0.428
    Cincinnati 	81	81	0.500	740	740	0.263	0.331	0.415
    Chicago 	         80	82	0.494	768	780	0.264	0.332	0.425
    Pittsburgh 	71	91	0.438	706	810	0.258	0.322	0.406
    Houston 	         68	94	0.420	628	755	0.252	0.305	0.389
    According to one prominent baseball website they are.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds a .500 team???

WOW!?
    Only one game better than the Cubs? This team is closer to 4th than 1st?
    Let the season begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    WOW!?
    Only one game better than the Cubs? This team is closer to 4th than 1st?
    Let the season begin.
    If we're going off last year, I don't see how it's that incredulous the team could end up there. We feasted off some really bad teams. The NL Central will end up being better than last year which means we have to be better. Scott Rolen has to stay healthy. CoCo has to save games. Bailey has to step up. Leake can't have 1 good half of a season. Jonny Gomes needs to play well more than 1 month this year. We have a lot of questions to answer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    If we're going off last year, I don't see how it's that incredulous the team could end up there. We feasted off some really bad teams. The NL Central will end up being better than last year which means we have to be better. Scott Rolen has to stay healthy. CoCo has to save games. Bailey has to step up. Leake can't have 1 good half of a season. Jonny Gomes needs to play well more than 1 month this year. We have a lot of questions to answer too.

I agree. I don't think the projection is that outlandish. But hey, they play the games for a reason, so we shall see.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I think Scott Rolen is a big question mark. He was a subpar cleanup hitter last year in my opinion, and seemed to be less effective later in the year. I liked him, and think he was solid, but I'm talking about him in terms of a cleanup hitter to protect Votto which will most likely be his role. I would feel so much better about this team going into the year if they would've dropped 2-3 million on Manny, and had Votto, Manny, Bruce, Rolen in the order instead of Votto, Rolen, Bruce. They also lose Arthur Rhodes, who was a staple in the late innings in the bullpen. Even if he wouldn't have been as good resigned, its hard to imagine them having someone as effective as he was last year. You have to hope for Stubbs, and Bruce getting better along with the young rotation of Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Leake, Wood, etc.
    Last edited by mroby85; 02-16-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Anything is possible in a season...predictions are like well you know...everyone has one..

No chance this team, with so much young talent and the playoff chase experience of a year ago, goes backward. No way.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    No chance this team, with so much young talent and the playoff chase experience of a year ago, goes backward. No way.
    You can't say that, injuries can ruin and team and with that you never know whom will get struck down or for how long.....

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    You can't say that, injuries can ruin and team and with that you never know whom will get struck down or for how long.....
    But that is true with all the teams, and has to be considered when making projections. To be honest, if the writer did include the possibility of injury, he would have ranked the Reds in first, as they have by far the best depth of any team in the division.

Sure the Reds could finish below .500 in last place. The point of making projections is saying what is likely to happen, not what could happen.

I don't see how the likelyhood of the Reds finishing at .500 is as good as the likelyhood of the the Cardinals winning 88 games.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Every team in the division has similar if not greater questions.

You are right, it's not incredulous that the Reds finish at .500, but I don't think it's likely that they will either.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

I understand that it's not to far fetched that the Reds could slide in games won.
    However, Make the case that the Cards and Brewers are that much better than the Reds.

Brewers added Marcum and Greinke? There nice additions, but Marcum is maybe a 15 game winner if lucky. Grienke is still a sub .500 pitchers in wins (60W and 67L) . It's cool to pick them, but I don't see it.
    The offense produced career years for McGehee, Weeks and Hart.
    Braun had a Braun type of year.
    Fielder can only go up from last year.

Cards got older and worse defensivley.

J Horsley

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    I understand that it's not to far fetched that the Reds could slide in games won.
    However, Make the case that the Cards and Brewers are that much better than the Reds.

Brewers added Marcum and Greinke? There nice additions, but Marcum is maybe a 15 game winner if lucky. Grienke is still a sub .500 pitchers in wins (60W and 67L) . It's cool to pick them, but I don't see it.
    The offense produced career years for McGehee, Weeks and Hart.
    Braun had a Braun type of year.
    Fielder can only go up from last year.

Cards got older and worse defensivley.
    Honestly, I could see the Reds winning 95 games this year, I don't see the Brewers being any better than they were last year, Can't agree more about the Cards. Only real addition was Berkman and if you ask me he's old and dried up at this point.
    When you play this game twenty years, go to bat ten-thousand times, and get three-thousand hits, do you know what that means? You've gone zero for seven-thousand. - Pete Rose for HOF!

http://jeremiahssportsblog.blogspot.com/

There's a lot of depth on this 2011 team. I don't see the inevitable 15-day DL trips hurting production at all. It would take multiple injuries to one position before we'll have to worry about injuries costing us wins.

The Reds are not a .500 team- too much pitching. This is the time of year when national media types who don't know what they're talking about make dumb predictions. Like those who predicted the Cowboys would be in the Super Bowl. Which websight is this from?

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

I really think they are off-base with this prediction. Last year the Reds gave up 685 runs. In this prediction they have the Reds giving up 740 runs - an increase of about 10% actually. I would think, if anything, the Reds pitching would be better this year. We shall see.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Turn Off Ads?