Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brewers sign Weeks to 5 year/$50M extension

Brewers sign Weeks to 5 year/$50M extension

Source: Weeks deal with #Brewers is 5 yrs., 50M. #MLB
    Per Ken Rosenthal.

That's some serious cash. Confirms what we already knew, that Prince will not be in a Brewer uniform next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Re: Brewers sign Weeks to 5 year/$50M extension

Wowza. That is some big-time dough for Rickie Weeks. So is he worth that much or not?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

He was a 6 win player last year in his first ever completely healthy season. Talent wise, I'd say he's worth it, but he's always an injury risk. He's only 28. A risk the Brewers likely had to take.

ESPN has the details a little different:

Second baseman Rickie Weeks and the Milwaukee Brewers have agreed to a $38.5 million, four-year contract that contains a 2015 option which could increase the value to $50 million, a person familiar with negotiations tells The Associated Press.
    How many of these years were free agent years?
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Seems like they locked him up at a decent rate through his prime years. I'm a fan of deals like this, even if they just buy out arbitration.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post

This was his last arbitration year, so it bought out 3 (or 4 with option or whatever that fifth year is).

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    ESPN has the details a little different:

Rosenthal tweeted that the Brewers can "get out" of the 5th year if he isn't a regular in 2013 and 2014, so I assumed it has a games played clause.

And he was set to be a free agent after this year.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Wowza. That is some big-time dough for Rickie Weeks. So is he worth that much or not?

Basically depends on the degree to which you think 2010 is a better reflection of his true talent than 2009.

He was a bit hit lucky last year, which boosted his rate stats some. But even if you regress his BABIP, everything else looks legit. Really, 2010 was basically the same season as 2007 but with more batted ball luck, slightly better defense and a full season's worth of plate appearances.

I see him as a ~4 win player on average over the next 5 years, which would mean the Brewers got a pretty darn good deal. That said, we're talking about a guy who had never made it through a full season healthy until last year. I'd be much more worried about that than I would about what he can do on the field when healthy.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Rickey can hit. He can't field much, but he can hit.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Wow.......I heard speculation this morning of a 4 year $28 million. This is way over that. With no real position he's good at, and the fact that he's beyond injury prone, I'm not sure this was a wise investment at all.

Somewhere Brandon Phillips' agent said: "Well Brandon is only 1 year and 3 months older than Weeks."

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Somewhere Brandon Phillips' agent said: "Well Brandon is only 1 year and 3 months older than Weeks."
    The deal is pretty similar to the extension we gave Phillips originally. Except Phillips had more than 1 arb year to buy out. As far as the 11 million salary once Phillips hit FA and the 12 million dollar option, I'd say its pretty comparable.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Turn Off Ads?