Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #40 prospect?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Scott Carroll

12 26.67%
  • IF Samuel Diaz

0 0%
  • LHP Matt Fairel

5 11.11%
  • UT Brodie Greene

1 2.22%
  • RHP Matt Klinker

7 15.56%
  • 1B/OF Jaren Matthews

2 4.44%
  • RHP Wes Mugarian

3 6.67%
  • LHP Tanner Robles

3 6.67%
  • SS Miguel Rojas

0 0%
  • RHP Mark Serrano

1 2.22%
  • RHP J.C. Sulbaran

6 13.33%
  • LHP Mace Thurman

0 0%
  • RHP Dan Tuttle

4 8.89%
  • 3B David Vidal

0 0%
  • RHP Chase Ware

1 2.22%

Thread: Who is Redszone's #40 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #40 prospect?

Prospect #1 - Aroldis Chapman, LHP
    Prospect #2 - Devin Mesoraco, C
    Prospect #3 - Yorman Rodriguez, CF
    Prospect #4 - Yonder Alonso, 1B
    Prospect #5 - Billy Hamilton, SS
    Prospect #6 - Yasmani Grandal, C
    Prospect #7 - Todd Frazier, IF/OF
    Prospect #8 - Juan Francisco, 3B
    Prospect #9 - Zack Cozart, SS
    Prospect #10 - David Sappelt, CF
    Prospect #11 - Donnie Joseph, LHP
    Prospect #12 - Ismael Guillon, LHP
    Prospect #13 - Brad Boxberger, RHP
    Prospect #14 - Chris Valaika, IF
    Prospect #15 - Kyle Lotzkar, RHP
    Prospect #16 - Ryan LaMarre, OF
    Prospect #17 - Juan Duran, OF
    Prospect #18 - Junior Arias, SS
    Prospect #19 - Sam Lecure, RHP
    Prospect #20 - Ronald Torreyes, IF
    Prospect #21 - Neftali Soto, IF
    Prospect #22 - Jonathan Correa, RHP
    Prospect #23 - Danny Dorn, 1B/OF
    Prospect #24 - Henry Rodriguez, IF
    Prospect #25 - Kris Negron, IF
    Prospect #26 - Daryl Thompson, RHP
    Prospect #27 - Didi Gregorius, SS
    Prospect #28 - Drew Cisco, RHP
    Prospect #29 - Cody Puckett, IF/OF
    Prospect #30 - Dan Corcino, RHP
    Prospect #31 - Phil Valiquette, LHP
    Prospect #32 - Felix Perez, OF
    Prospect #33 - Jake Johnson, RHP
    Prospect #34 - Mark Fleury, C
    Prospect #35 - Tucker Barnhart, C
    Prospect #36 - Jeremy Horst, LHP
    Prospect #37 - Kyle Waldrop, OF
    Prospect #38 - Humberto Valor, SS
    Prospect #39 - Jordan Hotchkiss, RHP

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #40 prospect?

Just looking at this list, we should have no shortage of options even if we make it 50+ deep on the list.

I'm in the relief-pitcher mode about now. For me, the choice here is Thurman or Ware. Blaine Howell would be in the mix, as well, if he were on the list.

If he hadn't missed most of last year with an injury, Thurman would be an easy choice. He only pitched 5.2 innings in April. Prior to that, only one of his four stops had produced an ERA over 2.93. In that one, a brief fling in Dayton in 2008, he struck out 27 in 16.2 innings. The only issue--and it could, of course, be a significant one--seems to be the injury. I don't know the nature of it.

Ware came on strong last year, and even started seven games for Lynchburg. He's 6-foot-6. I'll give him a shot.

That said, I could easily understand how any of several starting pitchers--Tuttle, Mugarian, Fairel, Robles, etc.--would look worthier to a lot of people.

You are right mace... That's the reason I'm going with Dan Tuttle lots of upside and i think he will step it up in 2011.

Tanner Robles is interesting at this point. BA's pre-draft writeup was anything but encouraging describing his mechanics as violent and his curve as inconsistent. His season at Billings, however, showed a remarkable turn around indicating that the Reds may have made some beneficial adjustments.

In his first 5 games: 16.1 IP 18 H 20 BB 16 SO .298 BAA

In his last 9 games: 44 IP 21 H 12 BB 50 SO .137 BAA

All appearances were starts.

Having made the case for Robles, I voted for Brodie Greene. He seems to be a hard nosed player who is going to get to the big leagues through exceptionally hard work and determination. He started at high A, perhaps because he was a senior sign, and handled it well. BA described him as a line drive hitter with plus speed. His chances of becoming a major league utility IF seem good.

Gotta go with Klinker. He's slipped way too far.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Tanner Robles is interesting at this point. BA's pre-draft writeup was anything but encouraging describing his mechanics as violent and his curve as inconsistent. His season at Billings, however, showed a remarkable turn around indicating that the Reds may have made some beneficial adjustments.

In his first 5 games: 16.1 IP 18 H 20 BB 16 SO .298 BAA

In his last 9 games: 44 IP 21 H 12 BB 50 SO .137 BAA

All appearances were starts.

Having made the case for Robles, I voted for Brodie Greene. He seems to be a hard nosed player who is going to get to the big leagues through exceptionally hard work and determination. He started at high A, perhaps because he was a senior sign, and handled it well. BA described him as a line drive hitter with plus speed. His chances of becoming a major league utility IF seem good.
    The pitching coach in Billings did make an adjustment with Robles, though it was getting him to trust his own stuff. He was trying to nibble and was struggling with it. Once they got him to trust his stuff and throw it over the plate, the results got much better.

Agree with RVH on Robles and Greene. Those are the two guys I considered for this spot.

I went with Robles at #39 and again at 40. As pointed out by RVH, he flat out dominated over his final nine starts, and Tony Fossas seemed to like him too when he was discussing guys who could appear in Dayton this season. IIRC, he was highly thought of out of high school but decided to attend Oregon State. He gets my vote here.

Sulbaran has better stuff than some of the guys already on the list. He has a ways to go before he could even be considered effectively wild but he did give up far fewer homeruns last year although I'm sure he found himself constantly in hitter's counts.
    He misses more bats than most of the reds sp prospects, I still like him. He would be a good upside guy to round out the list.

I was impressed with Robles when he was in school, but I never in a million years thought he would put it all together. So far--and I'm sure the Reds' staff has a lot to do with this--I am looking like I was very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I was impressed with Robles when he was in school, but I never in a million years thought he would put it all together. So far--and I'm sure the Reds' staff has a lot to do with this--I am looking like I was very wrong.
    What made you think that? His motion?

You guys are making me rethink my vote. After the fact, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    What made you think that? His motion?

You guys are making me rethink my vote. After the fact, of course.
    His delivery was just disgusting to look at. It was all arm and no body, kind of like Matt Klinker's was. There was no doubt that surgery was in Robles' future, but it looks like the Reds have taken steps toward correcting that. Not only is his delivery changed to help him stay healthy (well, healthier), but it appears to have improved his command as well. He didn't show a particularly good feel for pitching when he was at Oregon State, but based on what I heard when he was in Billings, he came around big-time. I'm not saying the guy is destined to become a top of the rotation starter--heck, he might even end up in the bullpen before long--but he's already doing much better than I ever thought he would.

I went with Serrano, but after thinking about it more, I wish I went with Tuttle. I prefer to go with higher upside in later picks.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

JC Sulbaran. Looked into him a lot as he signed with UF before the MLB draft. Very intriguing prospect. Really wanted him at UF but was not all that upset once he was drafted by the Reds. He's going to be a good one.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?