Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65

Thread: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

  1. #31
    15 game winner Danny Serafini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sultanes de Monterrey
    Posts
    4,183

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Your tree can be replaced. Also, you did it to your own property.

    If my neighbor has a super cool restored car, that he worked on for 10 years and takes a lot of pride in, the value is not just in the dollar figures associated with the car,(which would be significant) but in the value he places in that car.

    If I went and stole the car, then drove it off a cliff, and then called him up to brag about it, there would be value lost. Not just in the assessed value of the car, but in the value he placed in the car which he won't be able to get back, and in the value of destroying the car for no reason other than malicious intent.

    If the trees weren't valuable, he wouldn't have bothered to poison them.
    I'm not arguing the rights and wrongs of the situation. The guy is a jerk, and what he did was wrong. What I'm saying is that it's a gigantic leap to say that because he killed a plant he doesn't value life and that it's a possible precursor to him attacking people. Plant life does not equate to human/animal life.

    Is he an idiot? Yes. Is he a psychopath killer? No.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    It's more than just vandalism, if you ask me. It's destruction of property.

    The guy didn't kill anyone, but he did irreparable damage to a portion of land owned by a university and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

    If you go and release termites in someones house and it gets destroyed, you may not have killed someone, but I'd bet there'd be a nice hefty punishment in store for you.

    I think it's more than just trees. It's part of campus aesthetics. People get very attached to college campus surroundings, they relate it to one of their happiest times of their life. It's a huge place for Auburn's fans. Now it's going to be destroyed. It's something you can't just replace.

    Obviously, he shouldn't face the electric chair but I hope they hit him to the fullest extent of the law.

    I'm an OSU fan who hates Michigan, but I'm not going to take a wrecking ball to The Big House. There's a difference between being a loyal fan and a psycho, in my opinion.
    Vandalism is destruction of property though

    Ėnoun
    1.
    deliberately mischievous or malicious destruction or damage of property: vandalism of public buildings.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  4. #33
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,717

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Vandalism is destruction of property though
    Stop using facts, they are not welcome when debating with me.

    But in all reality, I consider "vandalism" to be more of damaging property, not destroying it beyond all repair. Vandalism is usually something that can be fixed, ya know? Sounds like these trees don't stand a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

  5. #34
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,949

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Experts on the subject have said that none of those things are really a concern.

    For me, a crime is a crime. Terrorism is just a silly adjective to describe things we already know are wrong. Committing a criminal act of any kind shouldn't need the added "terrorism" label slapped on.

    He vandalized property. He should be punished for that. Not as some environmental terrorist.
    No they haven't. They've said it's unlikely that the herbicide that has soaked into the soil will leach down to the water table.

    That does not address those who were exposed soon after application nor does it address the run off.

    He didn't key a car. He deliberately applied poison to a place where thousands pass daily. Then he deliberately went out of his way to incite fear and outrage to further an agenda.
    Last edited by jojo; 02-18-2011 at 07:01 PM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  6. #35
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    No they haven't. They've said it's unlikely that the herbicide that has soaked into the soil will leach down to the water table.

    That does not address those who were exposed soon after application nor does it address the run off.

    He didn't key a car. He deliberately applied poison to a place where thousands pass daily. Then he deliberately went out of his way to incite fear and outrage to further an agenda.
    He "deliberately" committed a crime of which he'll be punished. That's the extent of it.

    It was a stupid thing to do by a an idiot that takes things too seriously. Let's not make it out to be bigger than it was.

    Throwing around terms like environmental terrorism is hyperbole and really exaggerates the severity of the crime.

    He killed a tree. The risk of someone getting sick over what he did is extremely minimal and that has, in fact, been said.

    From the report:

    Manufacturer Dow Chemical says the substance should be applied with proper clothing protection and a typical use of the herbicide is to kill trees along fence lines. There is no reason to suspect any human danger from the herbicide.
    Last edited by Brutus; 02-18-2011 at 07:11 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  7. #36
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,949

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    He "deliberately" committed a crime of which he'll be punished. That's the extent of it.

    It was a stupid thing to do by a an idiot that takes things too seriously. Let's not make it out to be bigger than it was.

    Throwing around terms like environmental terrorism is hyperbole and really exaggerates the severity of the crime.

    He killed a tree. The risk of someone getting sick over what he did is extremely minimal and that has, in fact, been said.

    From the report:
    Dow basically recommends application with your eyes protected, mouth ventilated and body covered. They also caution to avoid contact with eyes and skin.

    You know what also happened a couple of weeks after the Iron bowl when "Al" was dumping several gallons of concentrated herbicide on Toomer's corner? Something called graduation. Do you know what that means? People were lined up in the Samford courtyard getting their pictures taken. Children were hugging the oaks. You know what they weren't wearing? The type of protective clothing Dow recommends someone should wear when applying the diluted herbicide. How is someone supposed to avoid contact with their eyes and skin if they don't know they're standing in an area dowsed with the concentrated stuff?

    "Al" poisoned a city block and intentionally tried to incite the community by calling a radio station and making several calls to the university. Environmental terrorism is much more accurate than calling this a simple act of vandalism. Dismissing this as a simple act of vandalism is a gross understatement.

    Is there anyone who would pour a gallon of that stuff in their backyard and then let their child play in the area? Heck who would even let their pet in the area? Clearly this rises above simple vandalism.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  8. #37
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,567

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Again, raise your hand if you want tebuthiuron dust in your eyes or tebuthiuron in your drinking water (or in the eyes and water of your children or pregnant loved one)....
    Raise your hand if you want urine in your drinking water? How show it be treated if my dog took a leak at that tree? No one has said that this (I agree criminal) act will cause human health problems. You're jumping the gun by assuming that at this time

  9. #38
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Dow basically recommends application with your eyes protected, mouth ventilated and body covered. They also caution to avoid contact with eyes and skin.

    You know what also happened a couple of weeks after the Iron bowl when "Al" was dumping several gallons of concentrated herbicide on Toomer's corner? Something called graduation. Do you know what that means? People were lined up in the Samford courtyard getting their pictures taken. Children were hugging the oaks. You know what they weren't wearing? The type of protective clothing Dow recommends someone should wear when applying the diluted herbicide. How is someone supposed to avoid contact with their eyes and skin if they don't know they're standing in an area dowsed with the concentrated stuff?

    "Al" poisoned a city block and intentionally tried to incite the community by calling a radio station and making several calls to the university. Environmental terrorism is much more accurate than calling this a simple act of vandalism. Dismissing this as a simple act of vandalism is a gross understatement.

    Is there anyone who would pour a gallon of that stuff in their backyard and then let their child play in the area? Heck who would even let their pet in the area? Clearly this rises above simple vandalism.
    Perhaps it needs reiterated...

    "There is no reason to suspect any human danger from the herbicide."

    Vandalism.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  10. #39
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,949

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Raise your hand if you want urine in your drinking water? How show it be treated if my dog took a leak at that tree? No one has said that this (I agree criminal) act will cause human health problems. You're jumping the gun by assuming that at this time
    Tebuthiuron is toxic to humans in concentrated levels. It's reasonable to assume individuals who gathered around the spot of application shortly after "Al" committed his criminal act were exposed to levels that Dow would consider unsafe.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  11. #40
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,949

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Perhaps it needs reiterated...

    "There is no reason to suspect any human danger from the herbicide."

    Vandalism.
    Perhaps it needs reiterated that the quoted statement refers to the present.

    Are you willing to stand in the saturated spot shortly after application of the levels "Al" criminally dumped?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  12. #41
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Perhaps it needs reiterated that the quoted statement refers to the present.

    Are you willing to stand in the saturated spot shortly after application of the levels "Al" criminally dumped?
    The comment refers to the herbicide in general. There was no reason to believe it was a threat to humans.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  13. #42
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,949

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The comment refers to the herbicide in general. There was no reason to believe it was a threat to humans.
    So you're answering yes, you're willing?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  14. #43
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    So you're answering yes, you're willing?
    The experts seem to think there's not any harm in it, so yes absolutely.

    No one of any credentials has said there's really much to be concerned about by this. So anyone suggesting otherwise seems to be spinning the circumstances of the incident into something it's really not: i.e. a danger.

    A chemical was applied to a plant... a chemical that is legal where it was purchased and applied in such a way that experts have said is not a threat to humans. That includes the individuals that were around that area after the fact.

    Really nothing to see here. An idiot vandalized a well known placemark on the Auburn campus and will assuredly be punished for doing so. That's really where the crime begins and ends. No one was hurt and the odds are that they wouldn't have been.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  15. #44
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,949

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The experts seem to think there's not any harm in it, so yes absolutely.
    Knock yourself out.....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  16. #45
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Knock yourself out.....
    As much as I appreciate the gracious invitation, I'll have to wait until the next time an Alabama loony pulls a harmless prank.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25