Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

Re: Auburn Trees Poisoned, Perpetrator apprehended

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    As much as I appreciate the gracious invitation, I'll have to wait until the next time an Alabama loony pulls a harmless prank.
    You really want others to think you truly believe an action that will likely result in significant jail time and civil and federal penalties of a magnitude that would bankrupt the vast majority of Americans is nothing more than just a harmless prank?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    You really want others to think you truly believe an action that will likely result in significant jail time and civil and federal penalties of a magnitude that would bankrupt the vast majority of Americans is nothing more than just a harmless prank?
    No one got hurt and the experts say it was likely no one would be hurt. It was idiotic, but yes, it was harmless.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Police charged Updyke with first-degree criminal mischief on Thursday for allegedly using a tree-killing herbicide to poison the oaks. His release came on the eve of a scheduled rally at Toomer's Corner, where fans traditionally celebrate big wins.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1EQtW0Bt1

In Alabama Criminal Mischief and Criminal Tampering are the most common property crimes. This serious property offense is a Class C felony punishable by 1 to 10 years in prison and up to $15,000 in fines.
    http://www.criminalpropertydamage.com/alabama/

This guy is 62 years old, he uses a significant amount of herbicide in a destructive act without apparently any consideration whatever of the larger dangers to the environment or to human beings, and then he brags about it as a matter of football loyalty. Am I getting this right? Why shouldn't he have to show cause that he ought not to spend the next ten years in jail? How would you go about educating such a person to taking a more responsible stance toward those with whom he lives? He's not 26 years old; he's 62. That, to me, is extraordinarily relevant here.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    ...then he brags about it as a matter of football loyalty...
    That was more boneheaded than the act itself. If he'd have kept his mouth shut he might not be facing jailtime

He better hope he gets a judge who is an Alabama alum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

From what I saw of the display around the tree, I could see it qualifying as a religious hate crime for defacing the temple of the tree.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly with you and Roy. These trees will have an assessed value, likely into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, but their actual value is much higher than that because they CANNOT be replaced.
    That appraised value will probably make the vandalism a felony. I'll bet the guy does some time for the crime.

Regardless of what sort of penalty comes of this, its a terrible shame that a rivalry has caused such damage to a beloved icon.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sklarbros tweeted that he should be tried for treeson.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Sklarbros tweeted that he should be tried for treeson.
    Oh dear God lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Officials at Auburn University have announced the iconic oak trees at Toomer's Corner will be removed. University officials made the announcement Friday and said in a statement that the trees are unlikely to survive despite efforts to save them after they were poisoned with a powerful herbicide.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2Jm8iOZNC

So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The last roll will be in April. There was a public vote on one of four plans to recreate Toomer's corner late last year.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

There is immense value in old and beautiful trees. I would think they could claim a significant amount of financial damage and by way of throwing the book at this jackwad ask for a huge fine in return. It's not about the value of a trees life in comparison with an animal at all. Of the things you could see to damage property wise, this would be up the list a ways.

Turn Off Ads?