Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Snider, beloved Dodger in Brooklyn and Los Angeles, passes away at 84

Snider, beloved Dodger in Brooklyn and Los Angeles, passes away at 84

Hall of Famer Duke Snider was born and raised in Los Angeles before signing with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1943. He became one of the franchise's most revered players in Brooklyn and then moved back home with the team in 1958. The Duke of Flatbush won two World Series titles with the Dodgers, in 1955 and '59.
    More »

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Snider, beloved Dodger in Brooklyn and Los Angeles, passes away at 84

While an MVP award proved elusive, Snider finished second in voting in 1955 when he hit .309/.418/.628 with 42 blasts and 136 RBI. He finished second to teammate Roy Campanella by just five points and could have very well won the entire thing. According to Wikipedia , Snider's Duke of Flatbush book details the story of an ill baseball writer from Philadelphia who submitted his ballot with Campanella both at No. 1 and No. 5. It is felt the writer intended to write Snider into one of these places. However, the Baseball Writers Association of America decided to keep Campanella at No. 1 and count the No. 5 spot as a blank ballot. Even inserting Snider into the fifth spot would have been enough to edge Campanella.

His legacy marches on as he remains franchise leader in home runs (389), RBI (1,271) and led baseball in these categories during the entire decade of the 1950s.

The greatest respect and appreciation to one of the very best to ever put on a uniform.

Here's to you, Duke!

Above it all, he was a fan favorite for his style of play, personality, accessibility, and fondness for playing stickball with kids in the street of Brooklyn.

As a youngster, I remember seeing him play at Crosley. (Too young to really be up on anybody that wasn't a Red). But Dad said he was a great one and prodded me to get an autograph. I remember him ignoring me...

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    As a youngster, I remember seeing him play at Crosley. (Too young to really be up on anybody that wasn't a Red). But Dad said he was a great one and prodded me to get an autograph. I remember him ignoring me...
    Don't feel bad. Johnny Bench ignored me for an autograph. And, Pete Rose failed to show up (Winter of '72-'73) at a function I paid $12 to see him at, and traveled two hours each-direction by myself as a 13-year old to get to. Rose just blew off the engagement (a Pete Ward Clinic), though Mantle was there (he was the biggest jerk of them all, refusing to sign autographs for kids at a paid clinic when autographs were only for the enjoyment and not for selling them or anything). Billy Martin was there and signed all autographs as well as Maury Wills and Harry Walker.

Again, Go Duke!

Also, Mantle changed after his diagnosis with cancer and I really liked him after hearing what he had to say then.

Pete Rose always was and still is a jerk. (He still should have been a 1st Ballot HOFer.)

I can't say enough about Johnny Bench. I think he's great.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-28-2011 at 09:23 PM.

RIP Duke.

Turn Off Ads?