Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Defending National League Central Division Champion, Cincinnati REDS...

The Defending National League Central Division Champion, Cincinnati REDS...

We haven't been able to say that in 15 years.

It feels really nice.

The confidence I have going into this season hasn't been matched in 20 years since the 1991 season.

That year we had very little depth to sustain any kind of injuries that might come up, and they did come up.

Eric Davis (thanks, Marge) only started 77 games.
    Billy Hatcher started 81 games.
    Joe Oliver started 90 games.
    Bill Doran started 88 games.
    Barry Larkin started 119 games.
    Hal Morris started 128 games.
    Paul O'Neill and Chris Sabo started 150 and 151 games, respectively.
    They tried to make Randy Myers a starter (started 12 games and finished only 18, while losing 13 games and winning just 6).
    Jack Armstrong's ERA ballooned by 2 runs from 3.42 to 5.48
    The Relief Corps was simply terrible as a whole with no depth, whatsoever.

Going into this season, this team is loaded at every position. We could sustain several major injuries and still be battling for the Division Title in September. Even if Votto, Rolen, Bruce, Volquez, and Cueto missed half the season, we have players behind them who could step up and get this team wins.

Anything less than 90 wins this season, and I'll be shocked.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Defending National League Central Division Champion, Cincinnati REDS...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    We haven't been able to say that in 15 years.

It feels really nice.

The confidence I have going into this season hasn't been matched in 20 years since the 1991 season.

That year we had very little depth to sustain any kind of injuries that might come up, and they did come up.

Eric Davis (thanks, Marge) only started 77 games.
    Billy Hatcher started 81 games.
    Joe Oliver started 90 games.
    Bill Doran started 88 games.
    Barry Larkin started 119 games.
    Hal Morris started 128 games.
    Paul O'Neill and Chris Sabo started 150 and 151 games, respectively.
    They tried to make Randy Myers a starter (started 12 games and finished only 18, while losing 13 games and winning just 6).
    Jack Armstrong's ERA ballooned by 2 runs from 3.42 to 5.48
    The Relief Corps was simply terrible as a whole with no depth, whatsoever.

Going into this season, this team is loaded at every position. We could sustain several major injuries and still be battling for the Division Title in September. Even if Votto, Rolen, Bruce, Volquez, and Cueto missed half the season, we have players behind them who could step up and get this team wins.

Anything less than 90 wins this season, and I'll be shocked.
    Agreed, I except us to repeat winning the division this year AND win a playoff game@!

We should win more this year,I don't know how much.Because of the competition,I see a superior bullpen,and hopefully starting staff.So much of our success rides on young arms and Volquez.

Big breakout year for Bruce and Stubbs

I see the Cincinnati REDS' Official Website feels the same way that I do putting the NL Central Champions Logo in the upper left corner so it's the first thing you see:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=cin

Having been a follower of baseball since 1996 and never seeing the Reds win a division title or make the playoffs, last season was a great run and I hope that we can replicate that success. What will be a barometer for me is how we do against top teams. Last year, we did a great job feeding on bottom dwellers, but struggled against teams like the Phillies, Cards, etc. and that's why I knew we probably weren't going to fare well in the playoffs. Beating those teams in season series will be critical this year. I want to go storming into the playoffs instead of limping in.

Turn Off Ads?