Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips - Extension or Walk?

Brandon Phillips - Extension or Walk?

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

Quote:
    "Seeing what the Reds are doing and passing out this money or whatever, it's not all about the money. I just want to be treated fairly. I don't want to be like [Alfonso] Soriano or Jayson Werth and all those guys, I want to be in the category of second base, you just put me in the middle of those guys and just pay me for what you think I should be paid between those guys, then I will be OK. I'm not trying to break the bank. I'm just happy to play the game and play for the Reds."

New article up on Phillips and how he views his future with the Reds (and his Tweeting habit, lol). I think you've got to sign this guy for another 3-4 years. Furthermore, he's apparently not interested in 'Breaking the bank' and just wants to be paid fairly. He's an outstanding 2B, good offensive producer, outstanding with the fans, etc. I know some of you are tired of him, but I think he's great for the team, and Cincinnati.

Without further ado, what are your thoughts? Extension or let him walk? For me, I say offer a 4yr/36mil w/ 4mil signing bonus spread over term of contract.
    Phillips: or :thumbdown ?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Brandon Phillips - Extension or Walk?

For the most part, I like BP. I hope he means it when he talks about being reasonable.

I just don't know how Chris Carpenter would explain a BP extension to his son, though.

You do not let him walk, you trade him

He is going to be nothing but a distraction, he wants to be the 'Ocho' of baseball.
    http://atmlb.com/fd53ZR

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post

He is going to be nothing but a distraction, he wants to be the 'Ocho' of baseball.
    It's the way of the world these days. You just have to take the good tweets with the bad tweets. Dusty doesn't seem to be too pleased with that decision. I think if a reasonable amount of common sense is applied it could be a good thing for fans. We shall see how it turns out.

A four-year contract wouldn't be bad. He deserves some money for what he does. I'd like to see an extension. Phillips is a good, quality 2nd baseman that any team would be happy to have.

His injury really hurt his final numbers. I wouldn't mind extending BPhil for 3 or 4 years. If Reds fans turn out to see a winning team it should be doable.
    Last edited by texasdave; 02-20-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Sign him....Sign him.....Sign him

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Yea, so far in his first 5 seasons as a Red he's acted EXACTLY like Ocho. Get outta here.

-Matt

There's no way BP could be like Ocho. BP has delivered. Ocho is all mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by aldotcs View Post
    AMEN
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

This team needs to win before Votto likely leaves. BP is a big part of that chance to win.

I am not sure the Reds can afford an extension. That being said, I would really hate seeing him on another NL central team. Although he seems to have ruled out STL...

Quote Originally Posted by aldotcs View Post
    In fairness, Ocho is past his prime but was more of a star on the field than BP has been in my opinion. That being said, i'm very sick of Ocho and think he's past his prime and nothing but a distraction, but he did produce on the field earlier in his career at a high level.
    I wouldn't be against an extension for Phillips if it can be afforded, but I think everything needs to revolve mainly around beng able to lock up Joey Votto.
    Last edited by mroby85; 02-20-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Exactly. We talked about this 3 years ago, that this (the next 18 months) would be the time period for getting the most out of him. We'll have his replacement ready.

Turn Off Ads?