Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who do you root for?

Who do you root for?

Ok... we all love the Reds and want everyone to do great... just because they are Reds... but setting aside that and any opinion you have about a players talent or lack thereof... which player in the Reds organization would you most like to see have a fantastic year/career just because you like who they are?

As a Bengals fan this is never a very difficult decision because most of the roster is full of guys you would not like to have live next to you if they were not pro athletes, but the Reds appear to be different.

Granted I have almost zero personal interaction, but just by watching and reading, this team seems to be filled with many folks folks I would enjoy spending time with even if they were ordinary joes. This makes the choice a lot harder. (Really, I think only Volquez and Cueto have given me reasons to wonder if I would not like them personally)

My initial thought was Jay Bruce or Joey... but I think that maybe skewed by my respect for their talent, but there smiles and attitude are infectious... I also am tempted to say Cordero after hearing about all the silent charity he does for Cincinnati... I really respect a guy who gives without fanfare.

But for some reason, and I am not sure why, I think I am gonna go with Wood. The guy seems dedicated, maturing,... I dunno... there is just something about him that screams home-grown old time Cincy baseball.

As far as newbies to the Reds... I confess that I am rooting hard for Willis... I love the idea of stars that lose their shine then learn humility and get rewarded... probably more than I like the story of the vet looking for one or two more years to shine, like that of Renteria. Willis is still very young in baseball pitcher terms.

Finally, on Scott Rolen... am I alone in hoping that this guy retires as a Red (BEFORE his body totaly falls apart) and moves immediately into a coaching position with the Team?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who do you root for?

Jay Bruce - Outstanding talent, 2 months younger than me, donates a lot of money to the Reds Community Fund, and seems like a very classy and respectable kid. He's probably my favorite player on the team, at this point.

-Matt

Paul Janish. He played down here at Rice University in Houston and seems like a decent, down-to-earth kinda guy.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

Jay Bruce

John Gomes
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

If the test is who you want for a neighbor- Dusty Baker. His in-game decisions are sometimes perplexing, but he seems like a pleasant person to borrow a cup of sugar from.

I think everyone hopes for Bruce to have a long Cincinnati career as a perennial all star. How can you not like the guy?

But two others come to mind.

Janish and Wood. They're not flashy. They don't have out of this world talent. But they are dependable and just get the job done.

Good topic! I was talking with my dad the other day about this-I am a Steelers fan but was saying how nice a guy Rogers seems like so easier to not be uspet when he wins vs a jerk like roth(class)lessburger. Besides being athletes I want to see play well, I enjoy when good people have success as well. And just because a player is on "my" team doesnt mean I pull for them individually if they dont seem like good people. If it is a team that is that way as a whole and seems a habit, I could not root for that team then.
    Ok, back to topic, I dont really know my answer. Honestly, when I see BPhil interact with fans I love him-he is a great guy and among the best with fans. Then I hear him talk or watch him do something and start to second guess myself and my thoughts. Volquez was mentioned, I have to stick up for hm, I met him in Durham last year when he was on rehab, he was really funny and cool to me, posed ofr pics, talked with me for awhile, and signed a jersey and ball for me, as well as a few kids that I pushed his way.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Recovering Cubs Fan

I will be rooting for Aaron Harang, especially when he pitches against the Reds, just because of the ignorant way he was treated last year.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

?? ^follow up^ ??
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Aaron Harang was treated more than fairly here in my opinion. He was given several more opening day starts than he deserved, and proclaimed the "ace" long after he wasn't the ace anymore.

To answer the original question, I always root most for Joey Votto. I think this is because he makes me happy more often than anyone else on the team, so in turn I root for him to be happy and do well, lol. He's just an amazing player, the best i've ever seen them have.

1. Jay Bruce
    2. Drew Stubbs
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Jonny Gomes. I love the way this dude plays ball. He's very intense, and gives 110%. Definitely my favorite player on the Reds

Now secondly, I'm gonna hope Willis and Janish have killer years also. Always liked both of them.
    Let's make some noise!

Legends Never Die

My top 5 in no particular order...

1. Johnny Gomes- love the way he plays the game and takes care of fans and knows the fans are the reason he makes the money he does.
    2. Brandon Phillips- Never afraid to speak his mind and can back it up.
    3. Joey Votto- MVP enough said
    4. Jay Bruce- The kid can play and may be about the most clutch player I have ever seen.
    5. Scott Rolen- Just the way he leads the team and is a good overall guy makes us see why most of us fell in love with the game to begin with.
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

Stubbs
    Rolen
    Votto
    Bruce
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Turn Off Ads?