Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 217

Thread: The latest on Jose Arredondo

  1. #1
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    The latest on Jose Arredondo

    All reports I've read are that he is fully healed and is already throwing mid-90s, topping out at 96 MPH. He had a lights-out rookie year with the Angels in 2008 as almost everyone on here knows, then got hurt midway through the '09 season and was out for the last 1.5 years. The Reds signed him to a two-year deal last offseason knowing he wouldn't be ready until 2011. Basically they paid him for rehabbing for a year with the hopes they would cash in this season.

    I can't overstate how huge it would be for the Reds' bullpen to have Arredondo pitch even close to as well as he did three seasons ago. And in my estimation, if he's healthy, there is no reason to think he won't pitch well. If he was that good as a rookie, he should be even better three years later and with a healthy arm. I know it's not that simple, but I'm very excited about the potential of this young man. The Reds already have the makings of a solid bullpen with the five locks (IMO) to make the team in Cordero, Chapman, Masset, Bray and Ondrusek. But Arredondo is the type of player that could push the bullpen over the top, turning it from a good one to a great one.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Phhhl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    3,895

    Re: The latest on Jose Arredondo

    It's probably not right to be so excited about a reliever. But, if Arredondo is as good as his last healthy season with Angels suggest he could be, it opens up so many possibilities. Don't forget that Nick Masset is not a bad late inning reliever either. Paired with Chapman, Masset and Cordero, a healthy and productive Arredondo makes it one NASTY bullpen. Needless to say, the evolution of Arredondo also gives the club tremendous flexibility with what to do with the Cuban Missile.

    The thing I am most excited about is the win total Arredondo compiled in 2008. For relievers, win totals are usually just a crap shoot. But, his peripherals showed that he was absolutely dominant that season in every respect. Without breaking it down, it seems to me that the ten wins was a byproduct of a guy coming into tight ballgames and pitching well rather than blowing leads and collecting upon dumb luck. Because of guys like this, I think we could be talking about a team that... if you don't get a lead on them before the sixth inning you are in deep trouble. The 1990 Reds won world series on something like that.

    This doesn't even touch on how good Ondrusek and Bray can be in their roles at times. It doesn't even include guys like Matt Maloney and Sam Lecure, pitchers who would have earned a major league paycheck at random points over the last 20 years simply due to the derth of pitching talent across the organization. It is almost overwhelming how good this pitching staff as a whole can be. I don't fret using Chapman out of the bullpen at all at this point, because there is no way you can lose so long as he is logging his innings on the major league level.

    This team is so loaded. It is somewhat annoying that they didn't go out and get a beast to man left field this winter. It would appear to have been so easy, with so much depth at almost every other important role to work from. The Milwaukee Brewers may have been discouraged from even looking at Marcum and Greinke if the Reds had fortified left with a true masher like Adam Dunn, for instance. Talent is so good that it might not matter, but failure will be painful. Make no mistake, the Reds are banking on winning the division again in 2011 and raising the value of the franchise. Bob Castellini wants to perform a facelift on this proud organization, and I am all in as a fan with that agenda. Anythhing less than a dvision title is an abject failure for this team.

    Travis Wood and Arredondo are two key pitchers in 2011. Not only for Reds fans, but for anyone who cares to follow how the 2011 season. The sudden imprtance of the Cincinnati Reds make them big stories in the cactus league.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 02-20-2011 at 11:33 PM.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: The latest on Jose Arredondo

    Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    Travis Wood and Arredondo are two key pitchers in 2011. Not only for Reds fans, but for anyone who cares to follow how the 2011 season. The sudden imprtance of the Cincinnati Reds make them big stories in the cactus league.
    Agreed on both. If Wood wasn't a mirage and Arredondo is healthy, this team is as least as good as last season's, probably much better.

    The Red pen could legitimately have six monster arms and Cordero as closer. And that actually makes some kind of sense, assuming he's not asked to enter a game with runners on base. Keeping another team from scoring before you record three outs in one inning isn't all that difficult to do, statistically.

    When was the last time a team's worst pitcher was its closer? Has that ever worked?
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  5. #4
    You're soaking in it! MartyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,350

    Re: The latest on Jose Arredondo

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    All reports I've read are that he is fully healed and is already throwing mid-90s, topping out at 96 MPH. He had a lights-out rookie year with the Angels in 2008 as almost everyone on here knows, then got hurt midway through the '09 season and was out for the last 1.5 years. The Reds signed him to a two-year deal last offseason knowing he wouldn't be ready until 2011. Basically they paid him for rehabbing for a year with the hopes they would cash in this season.

    I can't overstate how huge it would be for the Reds' bullpen to have Arredondo pitch even close to as well as he did three seasons ago. And in my estimation, if he's healthy, there is no reason to think he won't pitch well. If he was that good as a rookie, he should be even better three years later and with a healthy arm. I know it's not that simple, but I'm very excited about the potential of this young man. The Reds already have the makings of a solid bullpen with the five locks (IMO) to make the team in Cordero, Chapman, Masset, Bray and Ondrusek. But Arredondo is the type of player that could push the bullpen over the top, turning it from a good one to a great one.
    I'm with you. I think this signing was masterful on the part of the Reds. Reminds me (on a larger upside scale) of when Special K signed Balfour.

    If Arredondo shines this year would you want the team to lock him up for 3 more years?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,750

    Re: The latest on Jose Arredondo

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I'm with you. I think this signing was masterful on the part of the Reds. Reminds me (on a larger upside scale) of when Special K signed Balfour.

    If Arredondo shines this year would you want the team to lock him up for 3 more years?
    Definitely. At worst, he could step in to Masset's role when Nick replaces Coco. I'd definitely like to have him for more than one season. He could turn out to be a huge steal when all is said and done. Not much ventured either if for some reason he doesn't pan out (I believe he will though).

    Cordero, Chapman, Masset, Willis, Arredondo, Bray, Ondrusek, Herrera, Burton, Valiquette, Fisher, Smith - that's a solid amount of depth and L-R balance. Combine that with 8 solid starters (Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez, Wood, Bailey, Leake, Maloney, Lecure) and this staff has to be as deep in quality as I've seen a Reds staff.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-21-2011 at 01:36 AM.

  7. #6
    Dyslexic Taquitos Quatitos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    322

    Re: The latest on Jose Arredondo

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Agreed on both. If Wood wasn't a mirage and Arredondo is healthy, this team is as least as good as last season's, probably much better.

    The Red pen could legitimately have six monster arms and Cordero as closer. And that actually makes some kind of sense, assuming he's not asked to enter a game with runners on base. Keeping another team from scoring before you record three outs in one inning isn't all that difficult to do, statistically.

    When was the last time a team's worst pitcher was its closer? Has that ever worked?
    It should also be taken into consideration that Cordero will most likely perform better in 2011 than he did in 2010. His 2010 SV% was his worst since 2006, and his ERA in 2010 was his worst since 2000 and his second worst ever. His WHIP and SO/BB were his worst since 2001. Will we see 2004 Cordero? I seriously doubt it, but if we get the Cordero of the last couple years minus 2010, we will definitely be in good shape.

    Even if we get 2010 Cordero, if we have 6 other bullpen arms outperform him we will be very well off.

    Also, I know that if the Reds choose, they can control Fred Lewis through 2013 through arbitration before he hits free agency. So would the Reds have control of him for up to 4 years since he has only accumulated 2 years of service time so far?
    Last edited by Quatitos; 02-21-2011 at 01:46 AM.

  8. #7
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,713

    Re: The latest on Jose Arredondo

    Quote Originally Posted by Quatitos View Post
    Also, I know that if the Reds choose, they can control Fred Lewis through 2013 through arbitration before he hits free agency. So would the Reds have control of him for up to 4 years since he has only accumulated 2 years of service time so far?
    I was thinking the same thing.

    Did he not accumulate a year of service time for 2010? Either way though, I think he should still be under Reds control until his 6th year is up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

  9. #8
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: The latest on Jose Arredondo

    If Arredondo makes the team out of spring training and stays up with the big club all year, he will almost definitely qualify for arbitration as a 'super two'.

  10. #9
    Member medford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,081

    Re: The latest on Jose Arredondo

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If Arredondo makes the team out of spring training and stays up with the big club all year, he will almost definitely qualify for arbitration as a 'super two'.
    Does he have options left? Sounds like a case for "lets keep him in AAA to start the year, in a more controlled environement to help him ease back into full tilt baseball, then bring him back after a month" situation.

    At any rate, Cordero, Arrendondo & Masset from the right side, Chapman, Bray & Willis from the left side, plus 1 arm that can be used as a long man. that would leave Logan, Smith, Burton, etc.. down in AAA. That's pretty darn solid depth right there.

    One thing this may do, assuming all ifs become true, is allow the front office to move Coco and covering a good portion of his contract for a left fielder by the end of ST. Seems like some guys can't always make the transition from the 8th to the 9th inning. For all his ups & downs, coco always took the ball in the 9th and held up reasonably well compared to some in the past. W/ a cast of characters that deep, for a position (closer) that tends to get overhyped, there's got to be more than 1 w/ the mental makeup to make the move to closer.

  11. #10
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: The latest on Jose Arredondo

    Arredondo is out of options.

  12. #11
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,038

    Re: The latest on Jose Arredondo

    I've said all along he's a huge shot in the arm to the Reds and will make a guy like Arthur Rhodes leaving hurt a lot less. I know Rhodes was tough against LHP but Rhodes evolved into more of a critical outs/8th inning guy last season and I think Arredondo will be that guy by mid season this year.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

  13. #12
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: The latest on Jose Arredondo

    I agree - I think Arredondo was an excellent pickup. I remember making a few posts about him about two or three years ago where I was gushing over his stuff and how I wish the Reds would target him in a trade. When healthy, his stuff is filthy - mid 90's fastball, a splitter that drops off the table, and a nice slider too. Even though he's right-handed, he's been tougher on lefties early in his career. LH batters have a .529 OPS in 218 PA against him compared to a .744 OPS in 228 PA vs RH batters. I really think he's going to be a key component in the Reds bullpen not only this season but in the future too.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  14. #13
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: The latest on Jose Arredondo

    Update from Mark Sheldon:

    Reliever Jose Arredondo, who remained in Goodyear, Ariz., and on the DL after camp broke in order to rehab all the way back from 2010 Tommy John surgery, will start a rehab assignment in the Minors next week. Arredondo threw on Friday at the team complex without issue.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...k_cin&c_id=cin
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  15. #14
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,350

    Re: The latest on Jose Arredondo

    Send him to louisville and lets end the Danny Ray Herrera tenure.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  16. #15
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,379

    Re: The latest on Jose Arredondo

    Can he throw strikes? Not many in this bullpen can


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25