Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Firefly returning to cable, Fillion would play Mal again, would love to buy rights

Firefly returning to cable, Fillion would play Mal again, would love to buy rights

If this could happen it would make me extremely happy. More at the following links.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/17/firefly-returns/

http://helpnathanbuyfirefly.com/
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Firefly returning to cable, Fillion would play Mal again, would love to buy right

I'd love to see the show come back, too.
    Really, none of the cast has seen a lot of success since FireFly. Baccarin is about to become available with the inevitable cancellation of V. Same with Glau and The Cape. And Baldwin in Chuck.
    At the same time, the show would not quite be the same without Washburne and Shepherd. And the Serenity universe is nowhere near the Star Trek universe, where dead characters come back to life constantly.
    Still, few shows were so perfectly cast by actors and actresses who seemed to be born to play those rolls.

Re: Firefly returning to cable, Fillion would play Mal again, would love to buy right

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I'd love to see the show come back, too.
    Really, none of the cast has seen a lot of success since FireFly. Baccarin is about to become available with the inevitable cancellation of V. Same with Glau and The Cape. And Baldwin in Chuck.
    At the same time, the show would not quite be the same without Washburne and Shepherd. And the Serenity universe is nowhere near the Star Trek universe, where dead characters come back to life constantly.
    Still, few shows were so perfectly cast by actors and actresses who seemed to be born to play those rolls.
    I dunno about that. Fillion seems to have a hit on his hands with Castle. Chuck seems to be doing well. Alan Tudyk gets bit roles in movies and is steadily working.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Actually "Chuck's" ratings are low. It has never been a big hit and each season its renewal is in question.
    Nathan Fillion though is doing well with "Castle" and he would be essential to any return to "Firefly."
    Most of the show's cast have consistently indicated they would love to return to the show; the one exception may be Gina Torres, who has said that she cannot imagine doing the show without Alan Tudyk's "Wash."
    Morena Baccarin probably will soon be available, and Summer Glau's "The Cape" is about to be axed. Joss Whedon himself has made it clear that he would love to return to the Firefly 'verse. The real question is making the show work financially, as neither "Firefly" nor "Serenity" were big hits. It almost certainly would have to be on a cable network and not on the main broadcast networks.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Actually "Chuck's" ratings are low. It has never been a big hit and each season its renewal is in question.
    Nathan Fillion though is doing well with "Castle" and he would be essential to any return to "Firefly."
    Most of the show's cast have consistently indicated they would love to return to the show; the one exception may be Gina Torres, who has said that she cannot imagine doing the show without Alan Tudyk's "Wash."
    Morena Baccarin probably will soon be available, and Summer Glau's "The Cape" is about to be axed. Joss Whedon himself has made it clear that he would love to return to the Firefly 'verse. The real question is making the show work financially, as neither "Firefly" nor "Serenity" were big hits. It almost certainly would have to be on a cable network and not on the main broadcast networks.
    I think with some shows - and I think Firefly is one of them - it might be better to have had the quality of the few episodes that they did than have it drag on for years and have the quality suffer. I think The Office may be one of those shows. That way there's no "Jumping the Shark" moment, no romances for ratings, no babies for ratings and no stunt casting for the ratings. As sincere as I believe Fillion and the other actors are about returning for a possible - if improbable - series, I think most actors would rather move on and do different things whether that be movies, a different TV series or the stage. I'm sure they all had a good time doing Firefly and Serenity but sometimes it's best to leave the past in the past and leave the fans with good memories.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Joss Whedon hasn't totally given up on Firefly. Every so often a graphic novel for Fireflyappears, such as last year's Shepherd's tale, giving some of the backstory of the characters. What Whedon has not done is have anything published that continues the story forward from the end of the Serenity movie, presumably because he wants to "save" that for a new movie or revival of the show. I do agree that it is unlikely that the show will ever return with new episodes, be it on the big or small screen.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Not this year though, NBC really has very little to replace it with.
    Go Gators!

Alan Tudyk has told this story about being willing to come back to "Firefly." On the final day of shooting the series he noticed the red button on the navigation control panel on the bridge of Serenity that had been installed by Wash in "Out of Gas." In that episode, with the rest of the crew about to leave Mal behind on Serenity, Wash showed Mal the red button, which was to be used to signal the two shuttles that help had come to Serenity. Wash told Mal: "When your miracle gets here, you just pound this button once. It'll call back both shuttles."
    Anyway, with the show cancelled, Tudyk sent the red button to Joss Whedon with a note saying: "When your miracle gets here, call us back."
    Whedon of course did call them back when the miracle of being able to make the feature film "Serenity" occurred.

'

I felt this same hope once before with a FOX sci fi show, Space: Above and Beyond. I kept hoping the Sci Fi Channel would pick it up and produce new episodes.

Of course, that never happened. Took years for it to be released on dvd too. That was some of the best scifi writing television had ever seen. IMO better than Firefly.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Odds are that nothing real will come from this, just based on history, but even the writer of Castle has said that he'd drop everything he's working on right now to go back and write more Firefly.

http://www.starpulse.com/news/Casey_...television_wit

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/fire...ers-39454.aspx
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I don't know a lot about this author. My wife is a fan and she forwarded the link to me earlier today. http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011...athan-fillion/
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I felt this same hope once before with a FOX sci fi show, Space: Above and Beyond. I kept hoping the Sci Fi Channel would pick it up and produce new episodes.

Of course, that never happened. Took years for it to be released on dvd too. That was some of the best scifi writing television had ever seen. IMO better than Firefly.
    I have mixed feelings on the SciFi Channel. Though I applaud them for putting quality shows on TV like Battlestar Galactica (although I could do without their cheesy made for TV movies with the horrible acting and god awful graphics), I feel that sometimes they ax shows too soon. The perfect example of this is Farscape. That show seemed to be just getting really good yet they cancel it. It seems that as soon as a show dips in ratings just a slight bit, they hit the panic button.

Maybe bringing back Firefly on FX would be the best way to go. There are a lot of quality shows on FX and that channel seems to give shows a chance to spread their wings a bit.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Turn Off Ads?