Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball Prospectus: Four Suggestions for the Reds

Rojo Johnson #99

Baseball Prospectus: Four Suggestions for the Reds

This article looks at how the lineup should shake out for the 2011 season. I think all four points are legitimate. I think Hanigan catching for the Spanish speaking pitchers could be difficult, but his play indicates that he should be the everyday starter. Stubbs as the leadoff hitter is subject to debate as well. Thoughts?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=12957

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball Prospectus: Four Suggestions for the Reds

Good article, and on the money.

The ideal solution at catcher is for Hanigan to learn to speak Spanish. Unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon.

I'm more concerned about the leadoff spot. It eventually has to be Stubbs. But first he must become more disciplined at the plate, specifically by cutting down his swing with two strikes. Learning to effectively bunt would be huge also. This guy has so much potential it's scary. He could easily develop into a five-tool all-star, and he is so close to being that player.

And then there's left field. As the article suggests, Gomes just isn't that good. Very likable guy, but not an every day left fielder. He's a platoon level hitter who plays terrible defense. Even with Lewis sharing the spot, I still think this will be the Reds weakest position this year.

Rojo Johnson #99

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post

I'm more concerned about the leadoff spot. It eventually has to be Stubbs. But first he must become more disciplined at the plate, specifically by cutting down his swing with two strikes. Learning to effectively bunt would be huge also. This guy has so much potential it's scary. He could easily develop into a five-tool all-star, and he is so close to being that player.
    Couldn't agree more. The thing about Stubbs is that he should theoretically get pitches to hit because pitchers don't want to walk a leadoff hitter on principle, let alone one with Stubbs's speed. I think if he learns how to bat more efficiently he would be the ideal leadoff hitter for the Reds.

The ideal solution at catcher is for Hanigan to learn to speak Spanish. Unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon.

And then there's left field. As the article suggests, Gomes just isn't that good. Very likable guy, but not an every day left fielder. He's a platoon level hitter who plays terrible defense. Even with Lewis sharing the spot, I still think this will be the Reds weakest position this year.
    I agree with your thoughts, though I do think ideally the pitchers would learn English. Its the USA and they are making American dollars, it should be on them. Sorry, know thats a sensitive subject for another day/place.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Every suggestion is spot on. I only see 2.5 of them actually happening.

We'll probably see Stubbs leading off and I have a hunch Janish is going to be the starting SS. His production from the plate last year was too good to ignore for how good his glove is.

I do not see Gomes only facing lefties. Dusty has a huge man-crush for Gomes and the majority of pitchers are right handed. At best, I think it'll be 60/40 Gomes/Lewis but it ultimately needs to be Hesiey's LF after this year if this platoon doesn't work.

If not for the Hanigan injury I think we would have seen more of him actually. He calls a good game for not knowing spanish and it's fair to assume he'll be hitting his prime very soon if he's not already in it. I see him playing hopefully 90+ games, but I DON'T see Dusty playing him in the 2-hole. His OBP is up there around .400, it makes sense, but the highest I've ever seen Dusty put a C in the batting order is 7th and that's only if Janish is in the lineup.

NL Central champs

I dont like the idea of having someone that could potentially hit 30+ homeruns hitting leadoff. At the same time when you don't have any other options and you already have enough power in Rolen, Bruce and Votto it might not be a bad idea to give Stubbs a shot. I would give the spot to Lewis and see if he is fine at leadoff, but if he isn't I would give the spot to Stubbs and see if he can hit out of the leadoff spot

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Hanigan will play more. He has earned it. He will not hit second.
    PJ will play most of the innings at SS and bat 8th. I'm good with that.
    Stubbs is a stud and we need to get him ready for lead off. He can handle it.
    I like Gomes. Lewis is an interesting player. I still want to see Heisey out there most of the time.
    The rotation will be solid and I think defensively we are strong. This should be a great year for the Reds.

Rojo Johnson #99

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    I dont like the idea of having someone that could potentially hit 30+ homeruns hitting leadoff. At the same time when you don't have any other options and you already have enough power in Rolen, Bruce and Votto it might not be a bad idea to give Stubbs a shot. I would give the spot to Lewis and see if he is fine at leadoff, but if he isn't I would give the spot to Stubbs and see if he can hit out of the leadoff spot
    I think the Lewis/Gomes platoon will allow us to see where Stubbs bats most effectively in the lineup. When Lewis is playing, Stubbs could hit lower in the order and he could lead off when Gomes is playing. Obviously, the lineup is a fluid situation and having options and interchangeable parts is the best strategy to have. Bottom line is someone needs to get be getting on base for the heart of the order to have a chance to get RBIs.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I agree with your thoughts, though I do think ideally the pitchers would learn English. Its the USA and they are making American dollars, it should be on them. Sorry, know thats a sensitive subject for another day/place.
    I was somewhat joking about Hanigan learning Spanish, because the article made that comment. I agree, ideally the Hispanic pitchers will pick up some English along the way, and I assume that will happen. I would think learning English would be mandatory for all Hispanic players, but obviously it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    I just love Stubbs' speed in that spot. I agree his HR/RBI potential would be better suited elsewhere in the lineup, but I don't see any better options for the leadoff spot as of right now. I wouldn't have a problem giving Lewis a shot, but he likely isn't going to be an every day player. I'm for whatever works, though, even if it means different leadoff hitters for LH and RH starters.

I agree with everything it says:

1. Heisey should be the full-time LeftFielder.
    2. Renteria should be an afterthought.
    3. Phillips should hit in the bottom of the order.
    4. Stubbs should lead off.
    5. Hanigan should be the full-time Catcher.
    6. Hanigan should bat #2 in the lineup.

All six of these reasons are why I don't like Dusty Baker as a Manager because he won't consider doing any of them. Yet, because we are so loaded with talent, we'll win this year despite Dusty, just like we won last year despite Dusty.

The article may as well be written in Greek if it was in front of Dusty Baker to read.

I was somewhat joking about Hanigan learning Spanish, because the article made that comment. I agree, ideally the Hispanic pitchers will pick up some English along the way, and I assume that will happen. I would think learning English would be mandatory for all Hispanic players, but obviously it isn't.
    In years past, seems the Hispanic players wantedto learn English. And most of todays stars do speak English well. Volquez speaks perfect English, but I think I remember seeing his parents are educators.

I read it that way too, somewhat joking. Vol has come a long way (from what I recall hearing at first at least, or am I thinking just of Cueto, who I know had/has little English) with his English; we talked for a while last year and had no language barriers, his English is pretty good.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?