Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    784

    How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    This is based upon Baseball Prospectus 4 things for the Reds...

    Is he a top 5 guy defensively or a 5 to 10 or middle tier?

    I know the guy hit .243 or something like it last year.

    Also would him and Brandon be the best DP combo in the league or top 5?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member mattfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,839

    Re: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    Ill take a stab and say they'll finish in the top-3 in the NL for 2B/SS Combo this year.

    -Matt

  4. #3
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    Honestly, I think Renteria will end up starting. I think Janish has an amazing arm, and is very sure handed. I wonder about his range a little bit, and think that could prevent him from being "elite" defensively.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,585

    Re: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    I will not answer a question on a thread where the player's name is spelled wrong.

  6. #5
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    3,857

    Re: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    Who is "Jarnish?"
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,013

    Re: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    Honestly, I think Renteria will end up starting. I think Janish has an amazing arm, and is very sure handed. I wonder about his range a little bit, and think that could prevent him from being "elite" defensively.

    I totally respect your opinion.....but I think Janish has complete range unlike most IF's in this league.....Janish gets to so many balls up the middle that OCab would just run over and watch.....Janish makes the hard ones look easy, and Janish is not afraid to get dirty and try to make a play......

    one of my pet peeves of almost all average SS in this league is this....and Barry Larkin was the best I ever seen at doing this...along with Ozzie Smith...even Jeter does not do what I am about to explain very well......you got a guy at 2nd and a grounder makes its way up the middle, and the hitter is a fast runner or at last not the slow guy....basically you have no shot at throwing the guy out at 1st so most SS let it go through to the CF....or the LF if its hit to the 5-6 hole.....but the best SS's, like Larkin, and the Wizard and especially Janish will go dive and try to stop that ball in hopes of stoppign the guy at 2nd from scoring...even if its the 1st few innings....Janish will stop that ball and prevent the guy at 2nd from scoring and that is a major MAJOR play in my book that does not show up in the stats......I want Janish starting for this team. He has the range, he has the arm and he has the instincts to play MLB SS......Edgar does as well, but he is getting long in the tooth and i am not so sure he will make those attempts that Janish will.......time will tell, I am rooting for them both to make it hard on the coaching staff....

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Florida and Pickerington, Ohio
    Posts
    7

    Re: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    I believe that the Reds need to stop the rent an old SS and allow Janish to grow with the rest of the good young talent.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    369

    Re: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    This is based upon Baseball Prospectus 4 things for the Reds...

    Is he a top 5 guy defensively or a 5 to 10 or middle tier?

    I know the guy hit .243 or something like it last year.

    Also would him and Brandon be the best DP combo in the league or top 5?
    I think they will be the best DP combo in the league.

    Renteria will also get a decent amount of PT.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,585

    Re: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    Janish is among the five best in all of Major League Baseball Defensively. He's going to make our pitching staff excellent if he can log more innings than Renteria this year.

    Dang it! I answered the question on "Jarnish". I couldn't resist.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Who is "Jarnish?"
    Maybe a Pete Harnisch/Paul Janish hybred.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    228

    Re: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    His defense isn''t bad for being the back up.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    way-east of cincinnati
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    How good is his defense? My answer is, very. I remember being at Spring training 4 years ago, attending 4 games between Sarasota and Ft. Myers, and in every game this guy I knew nothing about (Janish), either started or played significant time. My thought at the time was Reds brass really liked something about him, and wanted him to have every opportunity to show MLB talent. We know his bat is just, Okay. Must be his defense, eh?

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    784

    Re: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    My bad on Jarnish....

    Too many man drinks at closing time.

  15. #14
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I totally respect your opinion.....but I think Janish has complete range unlike most IF's in this league.....Janish gets to so many balls up the middle that OCab would just run over and watch.....Janish makes the hard ones look easy, and Janish is not afraid to get dirty and try to make a play......

    one of my pet peeves of almost all average SS in this league is this....and Barry Larkin was the best I ever seen at doing this...along with Ozzie Smith...even Jeter does not do what I am about to explain very well......you got a guy at 2nd and a grounder makes its way up the middle, and the hitter is a fast runner or at last not the slow guy....basically you have no shot at throwing the guy out at 1st so most SS let it go through to the CF....or the LF if its hit to the 5-6 hole.....but the best SS's, like Larkin, and the Wizard and especially Janish will go dive and try to stop that ball in hopes of stoppign the guy at 2nd from scoring...even if its the 1st few innings....Janish will stop that ball and prevent the guy at 2nd from scoring and that is a major MAJOR play in my book that does not show up in the stats......I want Janish starting for this team. He has the range, he has the arm and he has the instincts to play MLB SS......Edgar does as well, but he is getting long in the tooth and i am not so sure he will make those attempts that Janish will.......time will tell, I am rooting for them both to make it hard on the coaching staff....
    Yeah, I don't discount the effort Janish would put forth. I think generally when you play a younger guy you're going to get a better effort most times. I think his defense is more than solid enough to play every day, with range being his only question mark at all, but I still think he's average in that area. Where I think Renteria will get the edge on him is offensively along with experience. He's a 2 time world series MVP, that alone calls for a lot of respect in my opinion. I just wonder if Janish is an every day player, I tend to think he's not, but I hope i'm wrong.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    256

    Re: How good is Jarnish at SS defensively??

    he's the next troy tulowitzki


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25