Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Volquez to start opening day

Legends Never Die

Re: Volquez to start opening day

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Deserves it? Based off what?
    He had some great outings last year, yes he had some bad one as well. But if they said he is the loosest and most focused so far through ST then based on his good outings last year and his focus this year then he deserves it.
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    J Horsley

If you ask me, I love the fact that Volquez is going to be the Opening Day starter. You know he's felt some heat after the post season start he made. It's got to feel good for him knowing his team still has trust in him and supports him enough to start him Opening Day.
    When you play this game twenty years, go to bat ten-thousand times, and get three-thousand hits, do you know what that means? You've gone zero for seven-thousand. - Pete Rose for HOF!

http://jeremiahssportsblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban_Missile View Post
    He had some great outings last year, yes he had some bad one as well. But if they said he is the loosest and most focused so far through ST then based on his good outings last year and his focus this year then he deserves it.
    He had like 1 great, 1 good and the rest were average at best, and LAST time I checked his final outing wasn't even worth discussing. Both Wood and Cueto put together far better seasons last year. There is NO defending this move, especially at this point. It's just more proof how stupid our manager is and how much incredible talent this team has to even outshine his stupidness.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahHorsley View Post
    If you ask me, I love the fact that Volquez is going to be the Opening Day starter. You know he's felt some heat after the post season start he made. It's got to feel good for him knowing his team still has trust in him and supports him enough to start him Opening Day.
    they offered him a multi year deal after coming a TJ season, he knows the team wants him. Not pitching your best option on opening day is a bad move.

J Horsley

they offered him a multi year deal after coming a TJ season, he knows the team wants him. Not pitching your best option on opening day is a bad move.
    Who says he's not the best option. Look back to 2008 and the way he pitched on a good elbow. His elbow is back to that condition and TJ surgery is supposed to make the elbow even stronger. Yes he may not have proven himself that much last season but I'm sure he's going to get his time in Spring Training to prove he's worth the start.
    When you play this game twenty years, go to bat ten-thousand times, and get three-thousand hits, do you know what that means? You've gone zero for seven-thousand. - Pete Rose for HOF!

http://jeremiahssportsblog.blogspot.com/

Legends Never Die

He had like 1 great, 1 good and the rest were average at best, and LAST time I checked his final outing wasn't even worth discussing. Both Wood and Cueto put together far better seasons last year. There is NO defending this move, especially at this point. It's just more proof how stupid our manager is and how much incredible talent this team has to even outshine his stupidness.
    Have you been in all the closed door meetings? Have you been there all of ST? Have you personally talked to Volquez about last season?

If the answer is no to all of these then I am pretty sure you should trust our manager in this move based on what he has seen so far. It is your right not to like this move but we all know Volquez has talent and promise. This is a proving ground for Volquez and shows him that Dusty and the team still have faith in him. If I was a pitcher and had a bad end to the season I would be determined to get better in the off season and when I start really showing my stuff in ST and coach goes hey would you like the start for Opening Day I would feel 150% better and more confident that hey I messed up last season here is a way to redeem myself in a HUGE way. So let him have his redemption start and show why he should be the OD pitcher.
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    I like the move, Volquez matches up stuff-wise the best with Greinke. I think he will be good to go, now that he has had a full offseason to recover after Tommy John.
    I guess I look at things a little differently than most people. I consider "control" part of a pitcher's stuff. You really can't separate the two items IMO. And a pitcher that averaged just over 5 IP a start, tallied a 1.50 WHIP and walked 5 batters every 9 IP does not have the best stuff on the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban_Missile View Post
    Have you been in all the closed door meetings? Have you been there all of ST? Have you personally talked to Volquez about last season?

If the answer is no to all of these then I am pretty sure you should trust our manager in this move based on what he has seen so far. It is your right not to like this move but we all know Volquez has talent and promise. This is a proving ground for Volquez and shows him that Dusty and the team still have faith in him. If I was a pitcher and had a bad end to the season I would be determined to get better in the off season and when I start really showing my stuff in ST and coach goes hey would you like the start for Opening Day I would feel 150% better and more confident that hey I messed up last season here is a way to redeem myself in a HUGE way. So let him have his redemption start and show why he should be the OD pitcher.
    I don't trust Dusty as far as you can toss that toothpick he chews on game in and game out. He has shown he can't manage in game situations, he has NO CLUE how to manage, set or use a pitching staff. This team should have been the No. 1 seed last year, instead we got stuck with the 3 seed and a first round matchup without HFA against the Phils. This is a bad move, this is a bad sign of what the rotation might be and WHOM Dusty is going to play (see Janish NOT playing SS everyday) and THE FRIGGIN ST GAMES HAVE NOT EVEN STARTED YET. :thumbdown

Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahHorsley View Post
    Who says he's not the best option. Look back to 2008 and the way he pitched on a good elbow. His elbow is back to that condition and TJ surgery is supposed to make the elbow even stronger. Yes he may not have proven himself that much last season but I'm sure he's going to get his time in Spring Training to prove he's worth the start.
    his elbow is back? Really and we know that how? How many innings in ST has he thrown in real game action? We know what Travis Wood can do, we saw it game in and game out AND IN THE PLAYOFFS. We don't have to 'worry" if he is healthy. Picking an injured and wild pitcher to be your "ace" and lead your staff is just bad baseball.:thumbdown

You guys need to remember that he just came off TJ surgery and him not having the best control was a factor of that. Yes, he does walk people even before the surgery but he also makes a ton of people take a walk back to their dugout too. Have a positive outlook on this because it is going to be one hell of a season.

Well Dusty has picked his opening day starter even before any real ST games have been played...so i guess within the next few days he will announce Gomes the full time LF and Edgar the full time SS.....boy can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I guess I look at things a little differently than most people. I consider "control" part of a pitcher's stuff. You really can't separate the two items IMO. And a pitcher that averaged just over 5 IP a start, tallied a 1.50 WHIP and walked 5 batters every 9 IP does not have the best stuff on the staff.
    Volquez has always had control problems. Even during his great first half of 2008, he was walking around a guy every other inning. Point being, even with bad control issues, he can still be lights out.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Volquez has always had control problems. Even during his great first half of 2008, he was walking around a guy every other inning. Point being, even with bad control issues, he can still be lights out.
    I honestly hope he puts up 2008 numbers and proves me wrong. Nothing would make me happier. But when you start issuing so many free passes the margin for error is very slim. Volquez would throw a ton of pitches and, as a result, went just over 5 IP per start. I am thinking a TOR pitcher should go longer than that. I hope I am wrong. If EV excels it just makes the Reds that much better.

I would have went with Arroyo out of respect.

Lol brm is in full on Dusty hating mode already...

I like the move. I would have thought it would be Cueto but I have no complaints. Of all of our 'good' pitchers on the staff I think Voltron has the best chance to become ace material in the near future.

Turn Off Ads?