Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Volquez gets Opening Day nod

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar
    Hope isn't a strategy

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Volquez gets Opening Day nod

Not that it truly matters what order they pitch in (IMO), why are they deciding this now?

Not that it truly matters what order they pitch in (IMO), why are they deciding this now?
    Several teams or doing so.

What the HECK has Volquez done to deserve the OD nod over Arroyo, or with him not liking day games and what not, Cueto???? How'd that work out in the DS, huh??

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...t-opening-day/

What a bunch of bull. Just everything Dusty says in that column. Ugh. I know it doesn't matter in the long run... but this is ridiculous.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

In the past Arroyo has said that he doesn't like to start on Opening Day. Therefore Volquez is as good a choice as any I suppose

Volquez is a bit older than Cueto who has had problems keeping his emotions in check. Arroyo likes to party the night before OD.

I have zero problem with this. Good choice.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    In the past Arroyo has said that he doesn't like to start on Opening Day. Therefore Volquez is as good a choice as any I suppose
    Yeah. Not a big deal. It's not like it's the first game of the playoffs or anything.

I'm sure someone will come in with the obligatory "He's going to go against the other teams #1s all year now."
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Ditto.

He's the guy with the best chance to be a true #1. It'll help him to know the team believes he can be that.

Not that it matters much, 1 of 162. By announcing it now, and assuming no injuries during ST to Volquez, it allows the Dusty to set his ST pitching charts today to build each starter up to the start of the season. It also diffuses the "who's going to start on opening day" question that each pitcher and Dusty would have seen multiple times a day until the announcement was made.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Volquez is a bit older than Cueto who has had problems keeping his emotions in check. Arroyo likes to party the night before OD.

Similar feelings. I'm less of a fan of Volquez as some others but I won't lose sleep over this.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Wow, first the playoffs and now this. Maybe it's just me, but I'm into making guys earn things like Opening Day starts. Bronson should be the OD starter and I can't believe it's even a debate.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Wow, first the playoffs and now this. Maybe it's just me, but I'm into making guys earn things like Opening Day starts. Bronson should be the OD starter and I can't believe it's even a debate.
    BUt it certainly isn't important enough to make Bronson do something he'd rather not do......

Arroyo doesn't want it.
    Cueto may not be able to handle it.
    Bailey, Wood, and Leake are battling out for 2 spots.
    I guess that leaves Volquez.

So 2innings of EV followed by Travis Wood then?

I could see how it would make sense to invert the pitching rotation against the competition to give the team the best chance to win. For example put your best/ most consistent pitchers up against the other teams middle and bottom of the rotation starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...t-opening-day/

What a bunch of bull. Just everything Dusty says in that column. Ugh. I know it doesn't matter in the long run... but this is ridiculous.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. I think it's wise to break up Volquez and Cueto. Obviously rotation changes occur pretty soon during the season but it sets up as Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto, Wood, Bailey. So that's hard, soft, hard, soft lefty, hard.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Turn Off Ads?