Turn Off Ads?

Thread: hypothetical

hypothetical

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...ory?id=6124272

So to waste time I wondered about what would happen if a player in a right to work state (Rays, Rangers, Astros, Marlins, Braves) wanted to get out of the player's union. I know the supreme court ruled that the nfl teams were seperate entities, but I was under the impression that MLB operated as one entity.

Mods if this crosses the line feel free to delete, Im not trying to start a debate just curious if it could even be done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: hypothetical

Players don't have to be in the union to play MLB

Rick Reed wasn't in the union, of course they wouldn't let him in for crossing the picket line, but he won 16 games for the Mets in 98 and didn't pay a union due.

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...ory?id=6124272

So to waste time I wondered about what would happen if a player in a right to work state (Rays, Rangers, Astros, Marlins, Braves) wanted to get out of the player's union. I know the supreme court ruled that the nfl teams were seperate entities, but I was under the impression that MLB operated as one entity.

Mods if this crosses the line feel free to delete, Im not trying to start a debate just curious if it could even be done.
    I'm not sure they're obligated to join the union at all. Didn't Barry Bonds have a deal outside of the player's union a few years back?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

I'm not sure they're obligated to join the union at all. Didn't Barry Bonds have a deal outside of the player's union a few years back?
    Yeah, he wasn't allowed to be in any of the video games because of it.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Players don't have to be in the union to play MLB

Rick Reed wasn't in the union, of course they wouldn't let him in for crossing the picket line, but he won 16 games for the Mets in 98 and didn't pay a union due.
    Reed is a special case though, as he was brought in as a replacement player during the work stoppage. Part of the labor settlement was that the owners were allowed to keep the replacement players that they wanted to.

Let's say hypothetically that Alonso makes the opening day roster. I don't know if he has a choice on whether to join the union or not.

Bonds had a seperate merchanising deal outside of the union, but I think he was still in the union. Not 100% sure on that, but that's how I remember it.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Reed is a special case though, as he was brought in as a replacement player during the work stoppage. Part of the labor settlement was that the owners were allowed to keep the replacement players that they wanted to.

Let's say hypothetically that Alonso makes the opening day roster. I don't know if he has a choice on whether to join the union or not.

Bonds had a seperate merchanising deal outside of the union, but I think he was still in the union. Not 100% sure on that, but that's how I remember it.
    You are correct. Its the same thing that Jordan had with the NBA players association.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1661883
    During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball. ~Mickey Mantle, 1970

Turn Off Ads?