Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To cut or not to cut?

To cut or not to cut?

That is the question being posed in the Bay Area.

SF seeking to ban infant circumcision

Self-described "civil rights advocates" say that a ballot proposition to ban circumcision is on track for gathering signatures, meaning that San Franciscans may vote on the measure this November.
    The proposed law is being spearheaded by local resident Lloyd Schofield, according to the San Francisco Examiner.
    Last edited by Brutus; 02-22-2011 at 06:13 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: To cut or not to cut?

I wish I had something intelligent to add to this conversation, but all I can say is....

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

San Francisco is not seeking to ban circumcision.

A man in SF is seeking to ban circumcision by getting a initiative on the ballot.

Big big difference.

It only takes 7,000 signatures to get something on the ballot in SF. (Statewide ballot initiatives her in oregon require 50,000 signatures.)
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post

A man in SF is seeking to ban circumcision by getting a initiative on the ballot.

Big big difference.

It only takes 7,000 signatures to get something on the ballot in SF. (Statewide ballot initiatives her in oregon require 50,000 signatures.)
    True but it is "San Francisco". They've been known to vote nutty things in before. Let's hope they're intelligent enough not to impose their will on this patient/doctor decision. You wonder why anyone would care if this procedure is legal or not? I'd love to expound on how this issue compares to that area's strong opinions on reproductive rights but I fear that'll take this too far into the political realm if it isn't there already.

I love "San Francisco" and I get tired of people from the midwest using it as some sort of pejorative reference point.

Having grown up in Cincinnati I'm well aware of how negatively such references would be viewed were they turned the other way.

I'll leave it at that.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post

Big big difference.

Well it's more than one man as he's getting thousands of signatures, but I get your point.

It was meant more as a general statement that there is a movement in San Francisco to ban it, which is true.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Meanwhile in Cleveland this law is on the books, Women are forbidden from wearing patent leather shoes, lest men see reflections of their underwear.

Crazy place Cleveland, those folks are responsible for the future of our children!!

In the city I grew up in, Piqua, OH, there is a law on the books stating that it is unlawful for a woman to undress in front of a picture of a man that is not her husband.

It is also illegal to bathe after 8:00 PM
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Hey, I'm not going to argue with you if you think Cleveland needs to be erased off the map. I keed, I keed. Sort of

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    They've been known to vote nutty things in before.

I see this issue quickly coming to a head.

What would be really great is if it makes it on the November ballot as Proposition #4. That way, one of the sides could promote "For Foreskin on #4."

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

I see this issue quickly coming to a head.

What would be really great is if it makes it on the November ballot as Proposition #4. That way, one of the sides could promote "For Foreskin on #4."
    Vote YES on 4skin!

Why should the measure not be put to a vote? Many locations have outlawed "female genital mutilation" so it is not a stretch that someone will consider circumcision to be a form of male genital mutilation and seek protection for male infants. If someone feels strong enought that they wish to ge it done once they are adults then it can be a rite of passage here as it is in other places in the world.
    Now if only Fort Wayne would listen to the will of their people and put the city govt center to a real vote
    http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...OCAL/302089963
    (Really what other thread could this go in)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Why should the measure not be put to a vote? Many locations have outlawed "female genital mutilation" so it is not a stretch that someone will consider circumcision to be a form of male genital mutilation and seek protection for male infants. If someone feels strong enought that they wish to ge it done once they are adults then it can be a rite of passage here as it is in other places in the world.
    Now if only Fort Wayne would listen to the will of their people and put the city govt center to a real vote
    http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...OCAL/302089963
    (Really what other thread could this go in)
    I think the difference between this and the issue of female genital mutilation is that with a male, it doesn't take away the ability to find intercourse pleasurable or stimulating. This is more a ritualistic issue whereas with females, it's sometimes used as an issue of control over a spouse.

I guess I see both sides. Personally, though, I see no reason that the government should interfere (though I realize this isn't lawmakers trying to do so right now).

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    In the city I grew up in, Piqua, OH, there is a law on the books stating that it is unlawful for a woman to undress in front of a picture of a man that is not her husband.

It is also illegal to bathe after 8:00 PM
    Piqua.. Where most of my fathers side of the family is from.. I wonder if he knows of these silly laws
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Meanwhile in Cleveland this law is on the books, Women are forbidden from wearing patent leather shoes, lest men see reflections of their underwear.

Crazy place Cleveland, those folks are responsible for the future of our children!!
    Somehow, I get the feeling that laws like this are either a dead letter, as they've never been enforced, or were automatically repealed when the cities that enacted them enacted a new charter or extensive government reform bills over the years. I think there's a difference between a hundred year-old law that's been forgotten and a current initiative to put something on the ballot. But I see your point. San Francisco doesn't have a monopoly on people trying to get controversial proposals on the ballot.

Somehow, I don't see this particular law, even if passed, getting through court challenges. Especially since it would place a restriction on the religious practice of a significant minority of US citizens.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?