Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Andrew Miller's Vesting Option Allowing Red Sox to Circumvent Waiver Rules

Andrew Miller's Vesting Option Allowing Red Sox to Circumvent Waiver Rules

Not sure how the commissioner can allow something like this to be acceptable...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...esting-option/

Here’s the basics – Miller signed a minor league contract with the Red Sox, with the plan being for him to begin the year in Triple-A. If he is called up at any point, they will have to pass him through waivers before they can re-assign him to Pawtucket, as he is out of options. If Miller had a good showing in his time in the big leagues, there would be a decent chance that another team would have taken a shot at him, and used the waiver process to grab him for themselves. So, to prevent that from happening, the Red Sox gave Miller a $3 million option for 2012 that vests if he’s claimed on waivers by another team.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Andrew Miller's Vesting Option Allowing Red Sox to Circumvent Waiver Rules

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Not sure how the commissioner can allow something like this to be acceptable...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...esting-option/
    LOL that's creative. I applaud the Red Sox for thinking of it.

In my opinion, there's nothing Selig can do about it. It's a loophole that a team found and if baseball wants to stop it, the only thing they can do, or at least should do, is make a rule so that it doesn't happen again.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    LOL that's creative. I applaud the Red Sox for thinking of it.

In my opinion, there's nothing Selig can do about it. It's a loophole that a team found and if baseball wants to stop it, the only thing they can do, or at least should do, is make a rule so that it doesn't happen again.
    I believe the commisioner can rule against anything he believes is not in the best interests of baseball.

Why not make it a $10M vesting option?

I applaude their ability to think (and afford to think) creatively.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Should've tried that with Wily Mo. :

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I believe the commisioner can rule against anything he believes is not in the best interests of baseball.

That it was only a $3 million vesting seems to me that it's not something that is against the best interests of baseball. It's not making a mockery out of it, anyhow.

Yes, the commissioner can rule in "best interests of baseball," but to me, he shouldn't do so here. I think it would be overstepping his bounds. Frankly, if a player signs with a Major League team of his choosing and is willing to be demoted, I think he should have some presence of mind to be rewarded if another team claims him. That's what this does.

If it were some sort of ridiculous vesting option (like $10 million), that would be making a mockery of the rule.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

While some commissioners have abused that right, others haven't taken advantage of it at all.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Because it's a club option, they don't want it to cost themselves $10M if they want to pick it up. I actually think it's pointless, if they really want to keep him, they're not going to risk another team being willing to take on the $3M, so he won't get called up until they're either ready to keep him up or let him go.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

BTW, this came out from a good, in-depth, piece on Miller from Alex Speier, one of maybe 3 or 4 Boston sportswriters who I actually trust not to just make things up.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/ba...pect-tries-rec
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

He probably could but the Players Association would have him in court so fast it would make his head spin.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Yeah, definitely odd... but the Red Sox can't put that into a contract unilaterally. Miller had to agree to it. If he'd rather go to the minors with the Red Sox than allow himself to be claimed and stay in the majors with some other club, I guess that's ultimately his choice.
    Not all who wander are lost

http://www.necn.com/03/22/11/Red-Sox...52&feedID=3352

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Andrew Miller's unique contractual clause, in which the pitcher would see his 2012 option increase if he is claimed on waivers by another organization, is under review by both the commissioner's office and the Major League Baseball Players Association, and is likely to be modified in the coming days, multiple industry sources said.

Like the Yankees wouldn't claim him simply as an eff ewe. $3 mill to them is eff ewe money.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Turn Off Ads?