Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Wainwright with "signifigant" elbow injury

Wainwright with "signifigant" elbow injury

Per Derrick Goold

Possible TJ surgery. I would never wish for someone to get hurt... but If Waino's out, the Cards are screwed, IMO. I didn't think they would do great this year anyway, this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Wainwright with possible "signifigant" elbow injury

Hate to see this happen to one of the game's best pitchers -- hopefully it won't mean the kinfe, but even if it does, TJ isn't the career killer it used to be. I expect someone as talented as Wainwright to be back sooner rather than later.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Interesting development for sure....
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

well sooner won't be until next season at the earliest. Interesting note there at the end about his contract. Obviously the Cards could take him off the DL (assuming he does go under the knife) in september and park him at the end of the bench as he continues his re-hab, but $21 mil for 2 seasons when he may not even be able to pitch more than half of next year would be a steep price to pay. As talented as Waino is, I'd have to consider picking it up w/ an eye towards an extension.

I'm sure Dave Duncan will find a scrap-heap project and they'll win 20 this year.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

More clouds on the post-2011 horizon for the Cards.

From Rotoworld.com...

Cardinals officials believe Adam Wainwright will likely need Tommy John surgery.

What a shame. We won't know anything definitive until later today, but baseball could be without one of the game's best pitchers for at least the next year. Wainwright, 29, has finished in the top three of the NL Cy Young balloting in each of the past two seasons. The Cardinals will find it very hard to stay in contention without him.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

I just bet on the Reds at 3.5/1 to win the division. Those odds are insane.

WOW....

And, on a related topic

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I'm sure Dave Duncan will find a scrap-heap project and they'll win 20 this year.

According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, early speculation among rival executives has the Cardinals going after Kevin Millwood.

And with Adam Wainwright possibly headed for Tommy John surgery due to a "significant injury" to his right elbow, this appears to be a pretty good fit. Millwood, 36, posted a 5.10 ERA over 31 starts with the Orioles last season, but would likely benefit with a move to the National League and the pitcher-friendly Busch Stadium. He's no Wainwright, but would at least chew up some innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I just bet on the Reds at 3.5/1 to win the division. Those odds are insane.
    What are Milwaukee's?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    What are Milwaukee's?
    2.5/1

How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

While its not nice to root for injury, I can't shed a tear if St. Louis loses one of its best players for the season. This puts the Cards in a very precarious situation and one the verge of implosion before the season starts.

What an offseason for the Cards. Pujols will enter FA and the Cards know they can't afford to pay him what other teams can. Now their best pitcher looks to be shelved for the entire season.

Didn't Wainright have some "minor" elbow issues towards the end of last season. I remember him either missing a start, or the Cardinals thinking about shutting him down after the Reds took the big lead or something... With a commodity like that, I am sure they took an MRI. Just goes to show how fragile an arm can be. Big, strong kid, doesn't seem like a max effort pitcher... I can't feel good about something like this, even if it possibly benefits the rest of the division. You always want to beat the best.

I can't feel good about something like this, even if it possibly benefits the rest of the division. You always want to beat the best.
    Yeah, but I wouldn't feel bad either. Injuries are a part of the game.

Turn Off Ads?