Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball America Top 100 (4 Reds)

Threaded View

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Re: Baseball America Top 100 (4 Reds)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    OK. Lets forget about Alonso being blocked specifically in Cincy. How does he rank in the pecking order of 1B overall (since at this point its all we know he can do)? How high would he have to be to be valuable and not simply an interchangeable part? He's ranked #73. That seems to be saying he has some value IMO. Below is a list of 70 guys who will probably play some 1B in the major leagues over the next 5 years (hastily put together so lets not quibble over the order too much). The list excludes Alonso. Where would he rank? Remember that 1B is a position where bats go to finsih their careers so this list could exclude lots of guys who may also be ahead of Yonder. Guys like Victor Martinez, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Carlos Beltran, Carlos Guillen, Casey McGeehee, Ryan Braun and young guys like Nick Weglarz, Josh Vitters and Pedro Alvarez may also be raising the bar on this list.

1 Albert Pujols
    2 Adrian Gonzalez
    3 Joey Votto
    4 Miguel Cabrera
    5 Mark Texiera
    6 Prince Fielder
    7 Ryan Howard
    8 Kendry Morales
    9 Justin Morneau

10 Billy Butler
    11 Ike Davis
    12 Carlos Lee
    13 Eric Hosmer
    14 Brandon Belt
    15 Audrey Huff
    16 Gaby Sanchez
    17 Carlos Pena
    18 Freddie Freeman
    19 Adam Lind
    20 Jesus Montero
    21 Matt Laporta
    22 Justin Smoak
    23 Derek Norris
    24 Logan Morrison
    25 Chris Carter
    26 Mike Napoli
    27 Adam Laroche
    28 Anthony Rizzo
    29 Dayan Viciedo
    30 Daric Barton
    31 Jonathon Singleton
    32 Mitch Moreland
    33 Brett Wallace
    34 Kyle Blanks
    35 Juan Francisco
    36 Bobby Borchering
    37 Kila Kalahuie
    38 Brad Hawpe
    39 Russell Branyan
    40 Lyle Overbay
    41 Xavier Nady
    42 James Loney
    43 Matt Gamel
    44 Andrew Lambo
    45 Dan Johnson
    46 Brandon Allen
    47 Chris Davis
    48 Lars Anderson
    49 Nolan Arenado
    50 Edwin Encarnacion
    51 Mike Morse
    52 Lucus Duda
    53 Jake Fox
    54 Juan Miranda
    55 Paul Goldschmidt
    56 Leslie Anderson
    57 Casey Kotchman
    58 Chris Marrero
    59 Mark Trumbo
    60 Brandon Snyder
    61 Ryan Strieby
    62 Neftali Soto
    63 Pablo Sandoval
    64 Lance Berkman
    65 Kevin Youkilis
    66 Paul Konerko
    67 Adam Dunn
    68 Luke Scott
    69 Todd Helton
    70 Derek Lee

Note: I've put guys who will probably fade away in a couple years or stick to DH or another spot at the bottom when they obviously should be much higher. Remember this is about the future.
    I bolded the ones I believe will be/are as good or better production wise than Yonder over the next 5 years or so strictly with the bat IF Yonder cuts down his swing a bit. There are a few I am on the fence about because I haven't studied them/their issues or lack thereof like Smoak, Morrison, Gaby Sanchez, Kila K., Rizzo and Viciedo. But others are fading (ex. Helton) or haven't shown enough yet (Soto) or I have seen enough and am not overly impressed (Butler, Ike Davis, Loney, Sandoval, Kotchman, Edwin) or not impressed at all (Francisco, Chris Davis, Brett Wallace, B. Allen, Borchering, Blanks). There are also some of those guys I don't know at all like Goldschmidt, Streiby, Trumbo.

Bottom line I would rate Alonso as a top 15-20 1B in all of pro ball right now because I believe he can hit for power, average & discipline with a bit of coaching. In fact I despise the fact the people want to pigeon hole the guy into a Sean Casey type of mold because he hasn't hit for tons of power in the minors...yet. I will blame all of that on his hand injury and assuming health I do expect him to hit for lots of power in Louisville this season, then the "experts" will give him a fast ascension up the ranks come mid season/late season.

The only question for me is can that translate to the bigs and none of these other big name prospects have proven that yet either. So until there is some seperation I will put him on the list if not near the top of it when it comes to minor league 1B prospects.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 02-26-2011 at 04:17 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?