Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yasmani Grandal to start season in Double-A

Yasmani Grandal to start season in Double-A

This comes as a bit of a surprise. I thought he would start in High-A Bakersfield.

From John Fay:

I stand corrected on Grandal. Will start in AA, Bavasi says. "He really worked hard since we signed him. I think he'll be OK there." #reds

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yasmani Grandal to start season in Double-A

At one point, there was even the remote possibility that he would see a little time in Dayton. Personally, I was expecting a month or two in Bakersfield before Carolina. This is exciting news. It also probably means we'll see a lot of Tucker Barnhart in Dayton.

At one point, there was even the remote possibility that he would see a little time in Dayton. Personally, I was expecting a month or two in Bakersfield before Carolina. This is exciting news. It also probably means we'll see a lot of Tucker Barnhart in Dayton.
    I agree. I like it. Probably makes Fleury the #1 in Bakersfield. He came on very strong in Dayton in the 2nd half.

A little more from Fay:

“When we just get guys, I usually leave it up to (scouting director Chris) Buckley,” Bavasi said. “He knows him better. Grandal really worked hard after the season. He stayed here (in Arizona). The easiest thing for him to do would have been to go back to Miami.”

I’ve seen Grandal in batting practice a few times. Very impressive.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...o-start-at-aa/

I'm very surprised and very excited at the same time. This is awesome. Season can't start soon enough!

-The Insider-

So Deno or McMurry as the backup?

I think Denove has the better chance of sticking. Didn't McMurry play some outfield last year? Denove even made a stop in Louisville also as I recall.
    Last edited by muddie; 02-23-2011 at 05:16 PM.

-The Insider-

Deno has been in Trips a couple of times this and last year.

And now that I think about it, Mac might have played some left. I wanna say he did, but I can't fully remember.

Maybe I'm crazy, but didn't they have McMurry listed as being a native of Pinehurst, NC last year? Now he's a native Californian?

-The Insider-

He's from Cali.

McMurray hasn't played outfield. Why would he? He's too good of a catcher, and his bat doesn't translate to the outfield. You're probably thinking of Brandon Yarbrough, who is no longer in the system. Yarbrough is from Pinehurst and has played some outfield.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    McMurray hasn't played outfield. Why would he? He's too good of a catcher, and his bat doesn't translate to the outfield. You're probably thinking of Brandon Yarbrough, who is no longer in the system. Yarbrough is from Pinehurst and has played some outfield.
    I figured that out a few minutes back but thanks. I had everything right but the name. I knew Yarbrough didn't have enough to stay with the organization.

Denove is the vet. I'd hope that he serves the same purpose with Grandal in AA that we're hoping Corky serves with Mes in AAA.

Fleury and Coddington in A+.
    Barnhardt and Weems in Dayton.

Defensive guys like McMurray and Wideman just go wherever they are needed.

Catching depth is pretty sweet.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Denove is the vet. I'd hope that he serves the same purpose with Grandal in AA that we're hoping Corky serves with Mes in AAA.

Fleury and Coddington in A+.
    Barnhardt and Weems in Dayton.

Defensive guys like McMurray and Wideman just go wherever they are needed.

Catching depth is pretty sweet.
    A bit unexpected on my part, but this organization has more than its share of high potential catchers. A great future bargaining chip in that so many teams covet of a good catcher whose offense is worthy of more than 7th or 8th in the order.

Was it this time last year, or was it two years ago when the thought of moving Soto to catcher first came to light and many were excited as it potentially strengthened one of the weakest positions in the minors if he could make it work. Fast forward and the Reds appear to be as stacked at C as any team could hope to be.

Turn Off Ads?