Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sappelt's new stance?

Sappelt's new stance?

I saw Dave Sappelt in Sunday's game, and he had a COMPLETELY different batting stance then he used last year with the Bats. He held the bat in a completely different position, and his feet were probably twice as far apart as they were last year - it was a ridiculously wide stance. Has anyone else noticed this? So far, it seems to be working - though I am not sure why he would make such a drastic change after his success last year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sappelt's new stance?

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    I saw Dave Sappelt in Sunday's game, and he had a COMPLETELY different batting stance then he used last year with the Bats. He held the bat in a completely different position, and his feet were probably twice as far apart as they were last year - it was a ridiculously wide stance. Has anyone else noticed this? So far, it seems to be working - though I am not sure why he would make such a drastic change after his success last year.
    I noticed that, too. I'm really curious to see if he can have long term success like that. It reminded me a little bit of a right-handed Deion Sanders.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    The end result is very similar to last year. He doesn't set his hands like he did last year, but they are now starting where they were being set last season. The wider stance is ending with where he was at last season, but he just uses a small 6 inch stride now instead of a full stride.

Not sure why he changed it again, but that is now two straight seasons he has made a swing mechanics overhaul.

You get the sense Sappelt is a real swing technician. One of the recent articles about him talked about how he had a batting cage at his house throughout his youth. It appears to me he has the potential to be a very solid MLB bat.

Lockdwn11 told me recently that he read something about Sappelt watching film of Barry Bonds and Albert Pujols in the offseason and I got the impression he must have picked up on something with those guys. Damn smart to watch footage of the 2 best hitters of the past 20-30 years and 2 of the best of all time.

Would like to read that piece myself, if anyone knows what I'm talking about please direct me to it. I'll be asking Lockdwn11 again when I talk to him.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Lockdwn11 told me recently that he read something about Sappelt watching film of Barry Bonds and Albert Pujols in the offseason and I got the impression he must have picked up on something with those guys. Damn smart to watch footage of the 2 best hitters of the past 20-30 years and 2 of the best of all time.

Would like to read that piece myself, if anyone knows what I'm talking about please direct me to it. I'll be asking Lockdwn11 again when I talk to him.
    This was posted in The Sundeck by Big John. This may be what you are looking for. http://redlegnation.com/2011/02/27/f...-dave-sappelt/

-The Insider-

Does his new stance remind anyone of anyone else? I'm trying to create some of the prospects in The Show and I don't have his stance.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This was posted in The Sundeck by Big John. This may be what you are looking for. http://redlegnation.com/2011/02/27/f...-dave-sappelt/
    Thanks for that Dave. I'm encouraged he is going to the best for tips on hitting perhaps now he can hire Rickey Henderson as his personal baserunning coach.

"Lark, tell 'em, they can't hold Rickey"! Rickey Henderson
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Does his new stance remind anyone of anyone else? I'm trying to create some of the prospects in The Show and I don't have his stance.
    Not really it seems pretty vanilla. Maybe Jerry Hairston Jr.

Not sure maybe this kid can help us out!

YouTube - Justin Batting like the Reds

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?