Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you pick which games to go to..

How do you pick which games to go to..

For those who are not season ticket holders, I was wondering on average how many games do you go to each season, on average how far of a trip is it for you and which games do you decide to go to? I live in indy and I am hoping to get to at least 3-4 games this year. Plan on going to the votto bobblehead game, the Sparky game and 1 Yankee game...not sure if I will get to many others due to travel and costs...especially if gas continues to spike up....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How do you pick which games to go to..

I live in Huntington, and last year I went to 12 games. Most of the time I would get 2 for 1. Go up on Saturday, stay at the Netherland Hilton, and leave after the game Sunday. Never really went for any special reason. Other than a couple day games in April/May because I didnt have class, the HOF weekend against COL, and Strasburg. Throw in a couple Cardinals, Marlins, and Padres games, plus the playoff game. We were 6-6 in games I attended last year lol
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

I always go to the games that i want to see, i've been doing this for years now !!

I weigh in a lot of factors, and only a few of them I know in advance.

Promotions: fireworks night, bobblehead night, cheap seat days, dollar dogs, and stuff like that.

Team matchup. It just seems like a bigger game if you're playing a division leader, so this year Brewers and Cardinals games will be big ones.

Pitching matchup. When I saw that Tom Glavine would be facing Volquez in May '08 I knew that was going to be a good one.

Debuts. I wanted to see the Chapman debut badly but I wasn't able to make it. I got to see Volquez get a W in his 2010 debut in July against the Rockies though.

Weather. Living in Columbus I don't get to go to a ton of games, and when I go I want to ensure I'm going get at least 9 innings of baseball in.

I go to 5-6 games a year, from the Buckeye Lake area. One thing I did last year{that I will never do again} is go to a late July day game. Way to hot. It was the only time in my life I didn't enjoy a Reds game. Win or Lose.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I live just outside of Louisville and try to get to 8-10 games a year (usually make about 5). It takes me about about 1:35 from driveway to seat. I try to plan one around my dad's birthday (May 30) and I plan at least two Saturday night games. The rest of the games I go to are planned a week in advance or less. I've been known to ask my wife at 5:00 "You wanna catch a game?" and she doesnt' know until we get on I-71 if we are going to a Bats game or a Reds game.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I go to about 5 games a year. I generally choose which games I go to based on the opponent (great pitching matchup/division leader). I also do a first home weekend game in April as I am excited to see a game and anxious to get to the ballpark. This year I'll be there April 3rd as I want to bring the dog for Bark in the Park.

Easy, opening day or bobblehead or anything else given away only.
    Nah, seriously, I would say dates play a role (if it is a bday trip, etc), next would be team playing-maybe if a friend wanted to see them or there was a player I wanted to see from another team. I would love to see what they do for Sparky night this year to honor him, so that would make my list if I was picking Cincy game road trips. I avoid ballparks on kids days is my main rule of when not to go to a game.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

There's no such thing as a bad day at the ballpark. They're all good.......

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Agreed...The worst day at the ball park is better than the best day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    AMEN! Any random night will do. (Not much on 100 degree afternoon games though sense I burn super fast being a Red head.)

I decide the day of.

I don't have much money, and I live 2.5 hours away. I simply cannot stomach the idea of going down to the park, and having the game rained out, as there are only a few opportunities a year for me to make the trip.

This year, whatever days we get back from the "Straight A" promotion that the kids brought home from school. Wouldn't you know it, 2 kids earned it. They had different dates on their forms. Thought I was going to bring myself and 3 kids to 1 game for free, now the 4 of us are going to 2 games. Not to bad of a deal. 2 free tickets, and additional tickets are $7.50.

I live in the Cincy area so it's usually based on what the rest of my schedule looks like and the weather, so usually it's a last minute decision.

Well just bought my tix for the Sparky give away game in May....can't wait till that day.

Turn Off Ads?