Turn Off Ads?

Thread: NY Times: Andruw Jones ready to help Yankees

NY Times: Andruw Jones ready to help Yankees

Interesting read in today's Times about Andruw Jones and this upcoming season with the Yankees.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/25/sp...nkees.html?hpw
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NY Times: Andruw Jones ready to help Yankees

Is this from the Onion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Steroids? Nah. Jones ate himself off that HoF career arc. Towards the end of his stint in Atlanta, he would sweat gravy on a hot evening.

(And there's a lot of those in Atlanta during besbol season...)

Plus, he was known to socialize. A lot. A ballgame was merely a prelude to the rest of the evening. You could tell that even though his body was in the batters box, his mind was a gazillion miles away.

When the Braves parted ways with his buddy Raffy Furcal, that was supposed to be the final wake up call. Jones slept through it.

In his prime, though, I can't imagine a better CF. His ability to get a jump on a ball and run down anything gap-to-gap was other-worldly.

And I'll always give him a big thumbs-up for his testimony during the shake down of the Gold Club.

"Both of them, Your Honor."

I remember watching him play one time at Durham (A+), the year he jumped to majors. Prospects stand out at that level and we saw a lot of future major leaguers play there, but not one ever came as close as Jones to looking like an adult playing amongst children. That game he hit two dingers, and threw a guy out at third (one bounce) from the warning track in right center. One word could describe him back then - Freak.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I remember watching him play one time at Durham (A+), the year he jumped to majors. Prospects stand out at that level and we saw a lot of future major leaguers play there, but not one ever came as close as Jones to looking like an adult playing amongst children. That game he hit two dingers, and threw a guy out at third (one bounce) from the warning track in right center. One word could describe him back then - Freak.
    I saw Bo Jackson have a game like that once, hit a double, HR, threw 2 guys out, stole a base.

And that was against the Bash Brother A's

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Steroids? Nah. Jones ate himself off that HoF career arc. Towards the end of his stint in Atlanta, he would sweat gravy on a hot evening.

(And there's a lot of those in Atlanta during besbol season...)

Plus, he was known to socialize. A lot. A ballgame was merely a prelude to the rest of the evening. You could tell that even though his body was in the batters box, his mind was a gazillion miles away.

When the Braves parted ways with his buddy Raffy Furcal, that was supposed to be the final wake up call. Jones slept through it.

In his prime, though, I can't imagine a better CF. His ability to get a jump on a ball and run down anything gap-to-gap was other-worldly.

And I'll always give him a big thumbs-up for his testimony during the shake down of the Gold Club.

"Both of them, Your Honor."

Indeed.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Bump.

The Jones downward spiral continues.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/87...istmas-morning

Turn Off Ads?