Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Lets cut the political correctness about injuries

takealeake

Lets cut the political correctness about injuries

I'm going to tell it like it is and bash me if you want, but deep down this is how people feel I think:

While on a personal level I don't wish anyone any harm, on a team level, am I glad Wainwright is out for the year? Hell yes.

And honestly, I don't feel that bad for St. Louis OR Wainwright. Why? Because even with the injury, he's been blessed with the talent and life that 99.999999% of do not have.

Summing up what he went through, he had a stiff arm, had surgery, and now can't pitch. That's it. He's making $6.688 million this year according to his contract. Not a bad workers comp sum is it? And $15 million over the 4 year contract he's on, with option years in the future I'm sure will be picked up.

The guy is set for life. Lets not make it more than it is. Yeah it sucks for him that he can't do what he loves to do, but I'm not shedding a tear for St. Louis and I'm not going to send him a Get Well card when he's a very rich man and set for life over needing a little surgery.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lets cut the political correctness about injuries

For me, I am not one to crow about someone being injured working more in my team's favor. Money or not, talent or not, set for life or not, these guys play pro ball because they enjoy it. I feel bad for any guy who has season ending surgery and spring training has barely begun. For the Reds and their season upcoming, I am focusing on what they accomplish regardless of the fitness of the other teams.

Your mileage, as always, may vary.

He'll be back. He's not that old, and this surgery is not the setback it used to be. He still has many years left to pitch.

Sorry, that's not how I feel at all -- and my feelings have nothing to do with political correctness. I really do feel bad for Wainwright, and even for the Cardinals' fans. I know their fans may not extend the same courtesy to me or to one of the Reds' players, but as I said in another post, I can just imagine how I'd feel if that were Votto suffering a season-ending injury. I've got a very strong sense of empathy, and it prevents me from taking pleasure in all of this. I realize the guy's not dying or anything, but Wainwright being hurt really does eliminate the Cards from contention. It would be rough to have these hopes of contending for the Central and maybe winning a World Series torn to shreds before the season even started. And as far as Wainwright goes, as aldotcs said, I'm sure Wainwright loves playing the game. It sucks for him to not even get to pitch in one single game this year. Plus there's always the chance that he doesn't come back from Tommy John surgery as the same pitcher (much less of a risk these days, but it's still there).

I'm not saying either of us is right or wrong, just assuring you that my feeling bad for Wainwright and the Cardinals' fans has nothing to do with being politically correct.

I actually have a second hand connection to Wainwright. A friend grew up in the same Georgia town and went to school with him. I'm sure it stinks for him and for the Cards fans. So I do express the same sentiments as the guys responding to the OP.

Having said that, better them than us...unfortunately, it's inevitable that we'll get our fair share of injuries too.

Quote Originally Posted by takealeake View Post
    I'm going to tell it like it is and bash me if you want, but deep down this is how people feel I think:

While on a personal level I don't wish anyone any harm, on a team level, am I glad Wainwright is out for the year? Hell yes.

And honestly, I don't feel that bad for St. Louis OR Wainwright. Why? Because even with the injury, he's been blessed with the talent and life that 99.999999% of do not have.

Summing up what he went through, he had a stiff arm, had surgery, and now can't pitch. That's it. He's making $6.688 million this year according to his contract. Not a bad workers comp sum is it? And $15 million over the 4 year contract he's on, with option years in the future I'm sure will be picked up.

The guy is set for life. Lets not make it more than it is. Yeah it sucks for him that he can't do what he loves to do, but I'm not shedding a tear for St. Louis and I'm not going to send him a Get Well card when he's a very rich man and set for life over needing a little surgery.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't happy when I heard about Wainwright possibly having a "significant injury". That being said, I still feel bad for him, not just being politically correct. I'm sure it's not just about the money to most professional athletes. If it was, they wouldn't be earning $ as professional athletes because they never would've made it. He's been blessed more than 99.999999%, but I would also be willing to bet he's worked harder than 99.999999% of the population at becoming a stud pitcher. If it were Carpenter, I wouldn't feel bad at all for the individual and i'd agree, because he's just a complete jerk. With Wainwright, i've never seen anything out of line, so I feel somewhat bad for him, but like I said, its great for the Reds so i'm happy about it overall.
    Last edited by mroby85; 02-24-2011 at 10:38 PM.

I feel bad for him and I wasn't glad. One less elite pitcher to pick in fantasy baseball, too.

I'm not glad, I'm not upset, it is what it is, it happens, its out of our hands and all those other good cliches.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Would anyone feel differently if it was Carpenter instead of Wainright? Just asking...

Honestly, yup. I Still wouldnt "celebrate" it, but any human emotion of "oh that sucks for him personally" would be out the window if it was Carp instead.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

My take is this...As a human, I don't wish any player to have an injury, but with that being said injuries happen...it's a risk and part of the game. I'm just happy that the Reds seem to have enough horsepower to beat the Cardinals with or without Wainwright.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pocoroba View Post
    I actually have a second hand connection to Wainwright. A friend grew up in the same Georgia town and went to school with him.

Quote Originally Posted by takealeake View Post
    It comes down to this. He didn't get paralyzed in a car accident or diagnosed with cancer; he's out for the year with an arm injury. Where do we draw the line with sympathy - sprained ankles maybe?

I'm glad he's out for the year because it helps the team I root for and there is nothing life threatening out this injury. If he was in the AL or out of our division, then that sucks for him, but I still can't feel bad for him and the life that comes with being one of the best major league pitchers.

Now on the other hand I do feel bad when injuries happen to young guys coming up from the minors as they have yet to break through and land a major league contract.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Injuries are a big part of any sports. The Reds have had, and will continue to have their fair share.

That's why it's good not to put all your money into one player, but develop your farm system. I truly believe the Reds depth is why they won the division last year and will win it again this year.

The only reason, besides the obvious, to not want players to get hurt is the bad Karma it brings when you do celebrate. Karma will get you, so don't mess with it.

Turn Off Ads?