Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds to unveil statue of Johnny Bench on Sept. 17th

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reds to unveil statue of Johnny Bench on Sept. 17th

From John Erardi:

A bronze statue of Johnny Bench, currently in miniature clay model form, will be unveiled in front of the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum on Sept. 1.

The statue of Bench, one of the stars of the Big Red Machine, will feature him in a throwing motion toward an imaginary second base. Throwing out would-be base stealers is the skill for which he was most renowned, although it was only one of his many skills.
    The article also says the Reds plan on doing other statues too.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...2260358&Ref=AR

Re: Reds to unveil statue of Johnny Bench on Sept. 17th

Great news, and finally. IMHO, next should be Tony and Sparky. Not sure if they are allowed to put up a statue of Pete (most likely not), but perhaps some day.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Great news, and finally. IMHO, next should be Tony and Sparky. Not sure if they are allowed to put up a statue of Pete (most likely not), but perhaps some day.
    Eh, keep Pete away. Guys a disgrace to Cincinnati and the game.

Pete deserves a statue. I hope he gets one assuming MLB allows it. Others I'd like to see: Barry Larkin, Tony Perez, and Joe Morgan.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Eh, keep Pete away. Guys a disgrace to Cincinnati and the game.
    God knows he didn't have anything to do with the best era in the franchises history. I mean why not just forget about that whole era while we are at it?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    God knows he didn't have anything to do with the best era in the franchises history. I mean why not just forget about that whole era while we are at it?
    I don't see anyone asking for a Griffey Sr statue. He had things to do with the best era in franchise history too. Difference is, Pete also had everything to do with one of the worst things in franchise history too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    They are honoring the best era in franchise history, with a statue of Johnny Bench.
    During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball. ~Mickey Mantle, 1970

I love this. I know they've got the Crosley era player statues out front already, but they precede me, so getting Bench out there will be nice. Enough with the rose garden - let's get a bronze Pete out there next.

What about Barry Larkin once he's in the HOF. Good choice or to soon? I would be curious to see who everyone else would choose if you were given the chance to build a couple statues for former Cincy greats.
    During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball. ~Mickey Mantle, 1970

Quote Originally Posted by 1990REDS View Post
    What about Barry Larkin once he's in the HOF. Good choice or to soon? I would be curious to see who everyone else would choose if you were given the chance to build a couple statues for former Cincy greats.
    He should be in the HOF next year, so a Larkin statue in 2013 would be perfect.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

When they unveil the statues, can someone put up some pictures of it on the Red Zone somewhere?

Nice. Completely agree with the choice to showing Bench throwing.

Would like to see Rose too -- in mid-air, headfirst of course.

How about a statue of Pete up at the betting window about to turn in a winning ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    How about a statue of Pete up at the betting window about to turn in a winning ticket?
    Or how about when he's in prison taking.......never mind.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Here are some Photos of Johnny Bench from cincinnati. com.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...2260801&Ref=PH

Turn Off Ads?