Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Story I Think Redszone Will Appreciate...

Worth The Wait

A Story I Think Redszone Will Appreciate...

This hardly deserves it's own thread, but what the heck....

In church this morning our pastor started talking about Pujols, his strong faith and te current contract negotiations. Point being that Pujols will follow his family and faith above the union, etc... As he wrapped up the story I couldn't resist...I leaned over to my wife and whispered:

"how will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?"

She looked at me with a very puzzled look, but I got a kick out if it

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A Story I Think Redszone Will Appreciate...

Sort of on the same topic, I selected Chris Carpenter in my fantasy baseball draft last night, and I have no idea how to explain that to my son.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Sounds like your pastor only read LaRussa's take on things.

Personally I find the subject of a millionaire baseball player used as a metaphor weak and misplaced in a church sermon.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Personally I find the subject of a millionaire baseball player used as a metaphor weak and misplaced in a church sermon.
    Amen...unless, of course, the subject is the love of money
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Was the pastor wearing the Cardinals Sunday game day hat?

Sounds like a story for the Padres...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

It would have been even more misplaced had it been with this morning's gospel reading read at Catholic churches throughout the world today (and some Protestant churches follow a similar lectionary) - it was Jesus preaching about the lilies of the field and not worrying about money.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It would have been even more misplaced had it been with this morning's gospel reading read at Catholic churches throughout the world today (and some Protestant churches follow a similar lectionary) - it was Jesus preaching about the lilies of the field and not worrying about money.
    I had to go look up who Mammon was.

Pay attention to the open sky

Worth The Wait

WOY- I found it a tad odd as well, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He was talking about the millions Pujols has donated to the DR and various other projects and organizations. By all accounts Albert is one of the most financially generous athletes around- I think that was more of the point- gotta remember most people aren't as big o fans as we are and don't really follow contract talks, etc

The best sermons, in my opinion, are the ones that people can relate to what the message is. Using baseball, if it is relative to the listeners, is just fine.

That said, I don't agree with the pastor. I think Albert is following his wallet here
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Interesting. I know a preacher in Tulsa who's a regular at the Cardinals fantasy camp and is widely known as a Cards fanatic.

btw, baseball can be used to explain absolutely anything. Ever. My younger sister always got mad at me for using baseball to explain math to her.

Oh, and Mammon played third for the Cardinals in '65.

Worth The Wait

I try not to be too cynical when it comes to stuff like this...when he first started talking about it, I was kind of like "hmmmm..." not wondering exactly where it was going to go, but this particular pastor is excellent and I know he is well intentioned. Again, the broader message is probably the more important one he was trying to convey..I would have probably left the contract talks out of it, but again, no reason to abandon the greater message there.

ANYWAY....that certainly wasn't even close to my reasoning for starting the thread

Just wanted to show you all that the "how will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son" refrain stretches into churches in Oklahoma City

BTW, have we shortended this saying yet like we did with the Mother's Day Massacre (MDM). Has anyone busted out the HCCGETHS yet?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    WOY- I found it a tad odd as well, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He was talking about the millions Pujols has donated to the DR and various other projects and organizations. By all accounts Albert is one of the most financially generous athletes around- I think that was more of the point- gotta remember most people aren't as big o fans as we are and don't really follow contract talks, etc
    then there's the widow's mite...
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

To be fair to Pujols, he is one of the most giving athletes in all of sports. He makes a trip every year to the DR to help out the poor. He does get down in the trenches with the poor to do things such as pay for medical care, etc. Yeah he makes a ton of money but that money does go to good use.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Alright dangit Rep Points for Edskin on that one. We need to see how we can work this phrase best into our lives and have some kind of contest for it, unfortunately Edskin may have just taken the cake. During church proceedings, you state it when it fits and strictly on impulse and the pastor of all people actually initiates the baseball discussion? Wow some serious points for that one Ed, could be a tough one to beat.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?