Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Soccer viewing question

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Soccer viewing question

The U.S. Olympic qualifying group matches are coming to my neck of the woods in March, and my daughter wants to go watch a match. It's been forever since I watched a match she wasn't playing in, and looking at ticket prices, I have the typical noob viewpoint: what's the best compromise of "good place to watch" and "doesn't cost too much"? I figured I'd ask the more seasoned hands here. Here's a link to the seating/price chart:

http://www.ussoccer.com/Schedule-Tic...A060B7A19.ashx

Short version -- $20 end lines, $27 corners, $38 sidelines, $50 midfield. (I'm not springing for VIP, club seats or front row! Probably not midfield either but it's not completely off the table.)

Any advice? Stay as near to midfield as we can, or get close to a goal? Down low (close to the action) or up high (better perspective)?
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Soccer viewing question

I've always preferred the corners but it is really personal preference. The end line is good for watching strategy and set pieces unfold, the sideline gives you a nice sense of pace. The reason I prefer the corner is it is a combination of both.

I like being more towards the middle, but back a few rows. Like football you can be "too close" to the field and it makes it a little tough to see what's going on.

Also if you can find out which section Sam's Army is going to be in, sitting close to the supporters group is pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Also if you can find out which section Sam's Army is going to be in, sitting close to the supporters group is pretty fun.
    I second that. Sam's Army is a hoot.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Too close can be a problem. I prefer near the middle of the field just so I have an equal view of either end and kind of high up but not too high.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I like being more towards the middle, but back a few rows. Like football you can be "too close" to the field and it makes it a little tough to see what's going on.
    I agree with this. I truly started to enjoy soccer at IU when I had to broadcast games and could see things develop from the press box.

I have sat in the end zone on a couple of occassions which can be fun, but is difficult to follow when the actions running away from you..
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I usually prefer sitting near the supporters for my team. I don't like being near the other team's supporters. The supporters' groups usually choose one of the corners. They can get loud too. Google Sam's Army and you can probably find where they will be sitting and also possibly where the other team's supports will be too. Easier to make an informed decision that way.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Bump... yeah, we were there last night to watch the U23 guys lose to Canada and put the Olympic qualifying in major jeopardy. Yikes. I'm proud of my daughter for not being a front-runner and switching sides. Thanks to her Canadian-born mother, she has dual citizenship, but she was USA all the way. I even fetched my old Eagle jacket (a Starter windbreaker, so called for the bald eagle clutching Olympic rings on the back -- it dates back to before the '96 Games) out of the back of the closet. Still looks good after all these years!
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?