Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Louisville Basketball

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Louisville Basketball

I was shocked that I couldn't find a Louisville basketball thread.

Anyway, caught the end of that Pitt - Lou. game. How awesome would it have been if Pitt had hit a three to tie it after the male cheerleader got a tech?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Louisville Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I was shocked that I couldn't find a Louisville basketball thread.

Anyway, caught the end of that Pitt - Lou. game. How awesome would it have been if Pitt had hit a three to tie it after the male cheerleader got a tech?
    First off, it would not have been awesome. Second, I feel bad for the guy. He got caught up in the moment. I think everyone but the refs thought the game was over. Hopefully, people in Louisville will realize it was just a dumb, but human, error and not give the guy too much grief.
    Lastly, the only thing that makes me angry about the cheerleader thing is that is is taking away from the fact that they just beat a likely #1 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    First off, it would not have been awesome. Second, I feel bad for the guy. He got caught up in the moment. I think everyone but the refs thought the game was over. Hopefully, people in Louisville will realize it was just a dumb, but human, error and not give the guy too much grief.
    Lastly, the only thing that makes me angry about the cheerleader thing is that is is taking away from the fact that they just beat a likely #1 seed.
    I don't care if the game was over. He has no reason to touch the ball, ever.

I do agree that people aren't really talking about Louisville's win because of it. But it's really funny. It would have been even funnier to me if they had to go to a second OT.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

It would have been funny to see Pitino explode at the news conference, for sure.

Is Pitt really number one seed good? Is the Big East for real? After having watched that stinker, I'm not really certain.

I'm definitely for a NBA team in Louisville.

Oops, sorry, wrong Louisville thread.

On a more serious note, I kinda wonder how much flack would have been thrown if it had been a female cheerleader instead of a male.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    It would have been funny to see Pitino explode at the news conference, for sure.

Is Pitt really number one seed good? Is the Big East for real? After having watched that stinker, I'm not really certain.
    You mean the stinker where both teams played outstanding defense and made a guy pay every time he got near the rim?
    The Big East may not always be pretty, but every win is earned.(Ok, maybe not DePaul but that is one of 16)
    Right now the BE has 8 teams in the top 25 of the RPI. 3 more in the Top 51. How can that be overrated?
    Last edited by BoxingRed; 03-01-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    You mean the stinker where both teams played outstanding defense and made a guy pay every time he got near the rim?
    The Big East may not always be pretty, but every win is earned.(Ok, maybe not DePaul but that is one of 16)
    Right now the BE has 8 teams in the top 25 of the RPI. 3 more in the Top 51. How can that be overrated?
    The Big East is hands down the most brutal conference and plays an extremely brutal tournament right before the NCAA. Once March Madness hits, those teams start dropping like flies, especially in the first week.

Look at last year:

First round exits:
    Georgetown (3)
    Notre Dame (6)
    Louisville (9)

Second round exits:
    Pitt (3)
    Villanova (2)

Sweet Sixteen:
    Syracuse (1)

Final Four:
    West Virginia (2)

Overrated? Possibly. Victim of its own conference? That would be my guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The Big East is hands down the most brutal conference and plays an extremely brutal tournament right before the NCAA. Once March Madness hits, those teams start dropping like flies, especially in the first week.

Look at last year:

First round exits:
    Georgetown (3)
    Notre Dame (6)
    Louisville (9)

Second round exits:
    Pitt (3)
    Villanova (2)

Sweet Sixteen:
    Syracuse (1)

Final Four:
    West Virginia (2)

Overrated? Possibly. Victim of its own conference? That would be my guess.
    The problem I see this year with the Big East is that there really isn't a great team. They don't have a OSU, Kansas or even Texas type team. They have good teams that will beat up on each other and wear each other down as the season goes along. They are a conference with historically great teams that have great coaches but since the merger they seem to under-perform in the NCAA Tournament.

FWIW I see the same thing playing out again as last year. They will get a record number of teams in the tournament but I have a feeling they will struggle to place a final four team.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The problem I see this year with the Big East is that there really isn't a great team. They don't have a OSU, Kansas or even Texas type team. They have good teams that will beat up on each other and wear each other down as the season goes along. They are a conference with historically great teams that have great coaches but since the merger they seem to under-perform in the NCAA Tournament.

FWIW I see the same thing playing out again as last year. They will get a record number of teams in the tournament but I have a feeling they will struggle to place a final four team.
    How is 2 Final Four teams and 2 more Great 8's and a sweet 16 in 2009 under
    performing? You guys have really high standards for your conferences.
    Sure, since 2008 the SEC has had 1 Sweet Sixteen and 2 Great 8s, but who's counting?: I think the fallacy behind criticizing the BE's performance is that if other conferences got the same number of team's in, they might perform better.

On the other hand, I agree the the BE is brutal and that affects NCAA Tourney results. I think Pitt was a victim of winning the BE Tourney in 2008. You could see they had nothing left for the NCAA. Same might be said for Syracuse in 2009 even though they made the 16. They had an absolute battle to get to the BE finals.
    I have also wondered if the BE isn't hampered in the NCAA by the fact that no one else plays their rough and tumble style. Maybe they get called for fouls they aren't used to getting called etc.?

Those fouls are part of the reason I think the Big East could rightfully be considered overrated. Even poor teams can play great defense when fouling virtually every time down the court.

That's what I saw during most of the Louisville Pitt game this past weekend. Lots and lots of (uncalled) fouls, lots of missed shots.

If that's the best the BE has to offer, they won't put anyone in the Elite 8. For a team with 11 supposed NCAA teams, I'd call that overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Those fouls are part of the reason I think the Big East could rightfully be considered overrated. Even poor teams can play great defense when fouling virtually every time down the court.

That's what I saw during most of the Louisville Pitt game this past weekend. Lots and lots of (uncalled) fouls, lots of missed shots.

If that's the best the BE has to offer, they won't put anyone in the Elite 8. For a team with 11 supposed NCAA teams, I'd call that overrated.
    I think of the BE as a conference full of 6 foot 7 inch 220 lb guys that can jump, shoot at little and dribble a little. Every one of those players thinks they're going to the NBA.

It is also a conference of great coaches, which levels the field because a great coach can win with mediocre players. It's a weird conference. I think it's fair to say it's overrated a bit. When facing NCAA teams with good coaches as well it's clear these teams BE are not as dominant as we're led to believe.

Personally, I don't care for most teams in the BE due to the all too common result - 58-56. Lot's of bad shooting. 1 or 2 over hyped blue chip players per team. One team gets hot from 3 and it usually results in the win. I prefer the Big 12 and Big 10 matchups I've seen this year. I think OSU and Kansas will go far.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Personally, I don't care for most teams in the BE due to the all too common result - 58-56. Lot's of bad shooting. 1 or 2 over hyped blue chip players per team. One team gets hot from 3 and it usually results in the win. I prefer the Big 12 and Big 10 matchups I've seen this year. I think OSU and Kansas will go far.
    You must be watching too many Pitt and Georgetown games. Louisville, Notre Dame and St. Johns can score points in a hurry.

BTW, I do agree that the Big East may be overrated but who would you rate higher? College basketball is extremely down this year and outside of OSU and maybe Kansas, there are a ton of mediocre teams in that second tier.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    You must be watching too many Pitt and Georgetown games. Louisville, Notre Dame and St. Johns can score points in a hurry.

BTW, I do agree that the Big East may be overrated but who would you rate higher? College basketball is extremely down this year and outside of OSU and maybe Kansas, there are a ton of mediocre teams in that second tier.
    This.

Like I said, criticizing the depth of the BE implies there is something better out there. I don't think 11 BE teams deserve to be higher seeds than their opponents, but you'd be hard pressed to convince me that those teams don't belong in the tourney.

Glad to see a couple Cards fans post in a Cards thread.

One of the most exciting years I've ever had following my Cards. The Yum center has been rocking this year, and Pitino has done a hell of a coaching job. GO CARDS!!
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Turn Off Ads?