Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frank Buckles, R.I.P.

Frank Buckles, R.I.P.

Frank Buckles, the last surviving American veteran of World War I, died yesterday at age 110.
    Born on February 1, 1901, Buckles enlisted in the arrmy at age 16. He was shipped to England in 1917 aboard the RMS Carpathia, a ship best known for having rescued survivors from the sinking of the Titanic in 1912. He served in the ambulance service in France during WWI.
    After the war he joined the White Star Line shipping company, traveled the world, and was in Manila when Japan attacked the Phillipines on December 8, 1941. He was taken prisoner and spent 3 1/2 years in Japanese internment camps.
    French President Jacques Chirac awarded Buckles the French Legion of Honor in 1999, the same year that Buckles's wife of 45 years, Audrey, died. Buckles continued to live on his farm near Charles Town, WV, and was still driving a car and a tractor (presumably not at the same time) when he was 102.
    In 2008 Buckles met with President George W. Bush in the White House. Then WV Governor Joe Manchin dedicated a section of a new highway in Buckles's name.
    He is survived by his daughter Susannah Buckles Flanagan. R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Frank Buckles, R.I.P.

RIP to a great West Virginian.

Here's a link to his obituary. He may have been the last living WWI veteran.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=13016383

Also a list of surving WWI veterans. Only two left.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...of_World_War_I
    Reds Fan Since 1971

And then there were none.

There were approximately 9,750,103 military deaths during the conflict.

Or put it this way, if everyone in the state of Georgia died today they still would be 80K short of that total.

Stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And then there were none.

There were approximately 9,750,103 military deaths during the conflict.

Or put it this way, if everyone in the state of Georgia died today they still would be 80K short of that total.

Stunning.
    Indeed it is. If you are a fan of graphic novels I highly recommend It Was the War of the Trenches by Jacques Tardi. It is written from the perspective of common soldiers and their horrible experiences. Not an uplifting reading but deeply thought provoking.

Are there any other known WWI survivors?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Are there any other known WWI survivors?
    2 verified and a 3rd (Polish)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...of_World_War_I

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Indeed it is. If you are a fan of graphic novels I highly recommend It Was the War of the Trenches by Jacques Tardi. It is written from the perspective of common soldiers and their horrible experiences. Not an uplifting reading but deeply thought provoking.
    Of course, "All Quiet On The Western Front" is the classic of that genre.

When I was a kid was when the last of the Civil War veterans had just died off. World War II vets are starting to get scarce now.

But with War not going out of style, I don't think we'll ever be lacking for veterans.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The movie is quite good, even a bit pre-Hayes Code racy.

A great book and great movie. I have to say that the Tardi graphic novel had more of an impact on me than either. There are images from it that will haunt me forever.

La Dolce Vita

well, speaking of classics, there's the 1925 silent "the big parade" with gilbert roland and jean renoir's "grand illusion", stanley kubrick's "paths of glory" w kirk douglas...and don't forget "sergeant york". i've seen all of these and "grand illusion" is my favorite, i think.

my maternal grandfather fought in the "war to end all wars".
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    if something happens to me today, I'm blaming you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    well, speaking of classics, there's the 1925 silent "the big parade" with gilbert roland and jean renoir's "grand illusion", stanley kubrick's "paths of glory" w kirk douglas...and don't forget "sergeant york". i've seen all of these and "grand illusion" is my favorite, i think.

my maternal grandfather fought in the "war to end all wars".
    Big Parade = Awesome

Just watched 1/2 of Grand Illusion on Saturday

One of the saddest of the many sad facts about World War I is that soldiers will still being sent forward toward the enemy, and were dying, right up until the armistice went into effect at 11:00 a.m. on November 11, 1918. The last American combat death was suffered at 10:59 a.m. that morning.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    One of the saddest of the many sad facts about World War I is that soldiers will still being sent forward toward the enemy, and were dying, right up until the armistice went into effect at 11:00 a.m. on November 11, 1918. The last American combat death was suffered at 10:59 a.m. that morning.
    WWI was never romanticized the way WWII has been. I have read a handful of books on WWII and have been fascinated with it ever since I saw Saving Private Ryan. Granted I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about WWI but it seemed like an antiquated form of warfare. Trench warfare seemed like a battle of attrition akin to that of the Civil War. To me some outside the box thinking or some non-traditional ideas could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives.

Turn Off Ads?