Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Says.............

Dusty Says.............

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty Says.............

What are they going to do with all the outfielders,if Sappelt forces his way on,or is that even possible?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Just when I was starting to like Dusty, he goes and says something stupid like this. Ugh. Gomes is our everyday LFer? Geez, Milwaukee might win the division now.

Platooning is the smart thing to do. He actually kind of contradicted himself. Almost like he said Gomes is my starting left fielder but he knows he won't play everyday. Weird.

Dusty needs to play the best matchups. Our infield, Bruce, and Stubbs deserve to play everyday. LF needs to be where he mixes things up.

If Fred Lewis plays well he'll earn a lot of starts in left. Same for Heisey. From everything I've read Gomes worked hard this offseason to get leaner and be more productive for this team, if he's deserving he'll get the majority of the starts. No need to read too much into it now.

Dusty is a big believer in clubhouse chemistry. He likes winners, and he thinks Gomes is a winner.

Or maybe Dusty thinks the Reds need him for his fashion advice?

Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    What are they going to do with all the outfielders,if Sappelt forces his way on,or is that even possible?
    Granted. it's very, very early, but Sappelt is off to a notable start. You read his story growing up, Dad building him a batting cage, and so far, he appears to be absolutely demonic about making it in the Big Leagues. I wonder if Lewis, Hermida, et.al. might have been for naught. He may be our guy. On an earlier thread I asked from those that watch the Minors if he could be a lead-off, and the response was, "possibly".

Through three games here's Sappelt's stat line (per my stat upkeep):

2 hits, 4 runs, 2 RBI's, 1 HR, 1 SB, and a .571 BA.

The only outfielder near that line so far is Hermida...but it's still early.

NL Central champs

Using stat lines through three spring training games is absolutely pointless. None of the pitchers you are facing are at 100% and if I had to guess a long layoff from playing baseball is going to be tougher to come back from for pitchers and easier for hitters.

I think not platooning in left is a horrible idea here are Gomes splits from last season:
    Gomes 2010
    vs lefties
    165 AB 6 HR 35 RBI 18 XBH 31 K .285 AVG .378 OBP .856 OPS
    vs righties
    346 AB 12 HR 51 RBI 27 XBH 92 K .257 AVG .301 OBP .709 OPS

With those splits it is ridiculous not to use a platoon. If we don't platoon we will have a left fielder that will hit .257 everytime we face a righty and knowing Dusty's tendencies to have bad lineups he will probably hit Gomes 5 or 6 in the lineup.

Lewis 2010
    vs lefties
    93 AB 0 HR 7 RBI 6 XBH 26 K .247 AVG .314 OBP .637 OPS
    vs righties
    335 AB 8 HR 29 RBI 38 XBH 78 K .266 AVG .337 OBP .776 OPS
    Using these sets of splits it's really ignorant to say that you think Gomes should be hitting vs righties when Lewis is clearly a better and hitter and defensively he is head and shoulders above Gomes. The Reds signed Lewis to platoon with Gomes and I really hope that is what Dusty does.
    Last edited by VottoFan54; 03-01-2011 at 11:42 PM.

J Horsley

It really doesn't matter how well Sappelt plays if you ask me, he's not going to make the team out of camp, too much talent and experience for the Reds to pass on. One of Lewis Hermida or Heisey will make it before him just because they all have experience and have somewhat proven themselves to be in the Majors. One or possibly even two of these guys will make the team.

I just hope Dusty gets them all some playing time, Love Gomes but he isn't really an everyday guy as he showed to really slow down after his awesome start.
    When you play this game twenty years, go to bat ten-thousand times, and get three-thousand hits, do you know what that means? You've gone zero for seven-thousand. - Pete Rose for HOF!

http://jeremiahssportsblog.blogspot.com/

J Horsley

It really doesn't matter how well Sappelt plays if you ask me, he's not going to make the team out of camp, too much talent and experience for the Reds to pass on. One of Lewis Hermida or Heisey will make it before him just because they all have experience and have somewhat proven themselves to be in the Majors. One or possibly even two of these guys will make the team.

I just hope Dusty gets them all some playing time, Love Gomes but he isn't really an everyday guy as he showed to really slow down after his awesome start.
    When you play this game twenty years, go to bat ten-thousand times, and get three-thousand hits, do you know what that means? You've gone zero for seven-thousand. - Pete Rose for HOF!

http://jeremiahssportsblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahHorsley View Post

How long have you had this stuttering problem?

I could understand that if Heisey was the starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I could understand that if Heisey was the starter.
    What has Heisey ever done to warrant being a starter?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    What has Heisey ever done to warrant being a starter?
    Progressed properly at every level.

The worst he could do this season would be the best that Gomes could do.

I don't know how he's performed in the field since Sunday, but Marty and Jim made it sound as if Hermida acquitted himself about as well as your average knothole left fielder that day.
    If the brass isn't confident about his defense, I doubt he makes the club. Gomes is already a defensive liability because he can only play left and his range is terrible. They don't need one of the 2 OF on their bench to play like he's lost out there.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?