Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BYU dismisses key player for "not following honor code"

Re: BYU dismisses key player for "not following honor code"

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Like others have said, I have no clue why anyone who isn't devoutly LDS would want to go there, even for sports.... especially if you're non-white. It's a very judgmental "holier-than-thou" atmosphere there and few non-Mormons have positive experiences attending.
    Is Davies not LDS? He grew up in Provo so I just assumed he was.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wonder how the story leaked out about why he was suspended.

Can't say I'd blame the kid if it was anyone close to him, being suspended creates the perception that he must have done something serious to get booted IMO.

He is a good player, if I were coach I'd probably send him a scholarship offer and a box of con...responsibilty.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    I wonder how the story leaked out about why he was suspended.

Can't say I'd blame the kid if it was anyone close to him, being suspended creates the perception that he must have done something serious to get booted IMO.

He is a good player, if I were coach I'd probably send him a scholarship offer and a box of con...responsibilty.
    As I said before, its BYU's perogative if they want to suspend a player for having premarital sex.

However, if I were the NCAA, I would take a different approach. Since he was dismissed by the school for such a frivolous reason, I would grant him full transfer rights and not have to sit out next season, even if he decided to transfer within the Mountain West or West Coast Conference.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Yeah, I'd never fit in there. Having said that, no one has a gun to these players' heads when it comes to choosing to attend BYU. How did Jim McMahon survive there?
    From what I've heard is that they looked the other way on McMahon since he was so good.

http://michaelweinreb.blogspot.com/2...nor-codes.html

http://sportsbybrooks.com/byu-expell...iked-hof-20774
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I think every girl at the college I went to also abided by this honor code. Not one of them would sleep with me.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Is Davies not LDS? He grew up in Provo so I just assumed he was.
    Apparently he is. There are almost no black Mormons, so I assumed he wasn't.

As for McMahon, a big reason they're so strict these days is a direct result of his time in Provo. He was pretty much free to do as he pleased and they caught a lot of heat for that. Ever since Jim, they've cracked down and are not known to make exceptions. But the overall culture of demanding strict obedience and coming down harshly on any who dare make mistakes goes beyond the honor code and athletes. They have serious academic freedom issues at the university and it wouldn't surprise me if one day they're accreditation is challenged. There are plenty in the academic community who already think it should be gone.

What's ironic is that the very person they've named the school after violates about half of what's on the current honor code. He wore a beard which is not allowed. He drank alcohol, tea, and coffee and certainly had sex with a lot of women who were not "legally" his wife (polygamous marriages were not recognized under the law).
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    As I said before, its BYU's perogative if they want to suspend a player for having premarital sex.

However, if I were the NCAA, I would take a different approach. Since he was dismissed by the school for such a frivolous reason, I would grant him full transfer rights and not have to sit out next season, even if he decided to transfer within the Mountain West or West Coast Conference.
    couldn't agree more that it's BYU perogative.

Does the NCAA have a good track record of looking at case by case scenarios? I always got the impression they were more precedent fearing than they were interested in making exceptions.

Why would the NCAA make an exception? Davies agreed to play by the rules. So he is not a victim here. I'd rather an exception go (if they are handing them out) to a player who was promised a starting position, but deceitfully placed on the bench. That player would have been treated more unfairly than Davies if you ask me.

Another example of the strict adherence to their rules is last year's women's rugby team at BYU. Last year they were ranked in the top 8 and reached the quarter finals of the national championship tournament. An oversight had them mistakenly put in a bracket that included playing a game on Sunday. They forfeited the quarter final game and didn't advance further as they were not going to play on Sunday.

It's a club sport, so it's not officially part of the BYU rules and they could have played without penalty, but the players unanimously voted not to play. This is how BYU operates. I have little doubt that if it were Jimmer himself, the same thing would have happened as happened to Davies.

The thing is, they love it when they can show everyone how righteous they are when these things happen. They had an offensive lineman named Eli Herring who played there in the early 90s who would have been a high round NFL pick. He declared to all NFL teams his intention not to play in the NFL because he didn't want to play on Sunday. The Raiders still drafted him in the 6th round hoping he'd change his mind. He didn't. This guy is still revered as a hero in the world of Mormonism and BYU. I think they're all nuts, but they simply don't care what everyone else thinks, for better or worse.
    Last edited by MWM; 03-06-2011 at 02:11 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

For a little more clear view of the ridiculous extremes the BYU "Honor" code takes itself, check out the link below. A guy was fired from working at BYU when he let out an expletive after hitting his shin on something. What's telling is not the letter itself, but the comments below. You'll see a lot of the same "when you agreed to work for BYU, you signed the honor code and knew what you were signing" comments.

http://universe.byu.edu/node/14838

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

You have to figure with BYU in the Sweet Sixteen in New Orleans that revenue from the local bars will be down by about 25% this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?