Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Erardi: No Platoon In LF Bad Move For Reds

Erardi: No Platoon In LF Bad Move For Reds

I've always been a fan of John Erardi and thought I'd share this article with the members of RZ.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...bad-move-Reds-

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Erardi: No Platoon In LF Bad Move For Reds

Goldstein sees Leake and Wood as middle-to-back-of-the rotation guys (Leake a 3-4; Wood a 4-5) , "but you need guys like that to win divisions.”
    Wow...that opened my eyes, especially from a well respected guy like that. Conflicts with a lot of what I have read on here.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 03-03-2011 at 08:04 AM.

nm
    Last edited by edabbs44; 03-03-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: duped

Loved this article. Glad he wrote it.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Definitely agree. Sappelt should be starting over both the vets.

You know, a bench with Gomes and Lewis doesn't sound half bad, actually.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Yorman Grandal? :O)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Definitely agree. Sappelt should be starting over both the vets.

You know, a bench with Gomes and Lewis doesn't sound half bad, actually.
    What ever happened to Heisey?

I'd ask the same about Hermida. Guy's still got the highest ceiling of any of the LF candidates.

Couple of things that I caught notice of that I didn't agree with at all.

Goldstein sees Leake and Wood as middle-to-back-of-the rotation guys (Leake a 3-4; Wood a 4-5) , "but you need guys like that to win divisions.”
    To me this is too text book of an answer. Neither possess blazing fastballs or drop off the face curve balls so they can't be ace quality. It seems like he is to enamored with slotting pitchers on what they don't have instead of what they do have.

Goldstein thinks 84-85 victories could win the NL Central this year.

"The computer is calling for a three-team race: Cincinnati, Milwaukee, St. Louis, not in any order. Milwaukee improved their pitching a lot with Greinke and Marcum, but they've still got holes. And St. Louis lost Wainwright."
    I will be actually shocked if only 84 W's takes the division. I see the Cards without Wainwright as an 85 win team. I think both the Reds and Brewers can win upwards of 90 games this season.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I will be actually shocked if only 84 W's takes the division. I see the Cards without Wainwright as an 85 win team. I think both the Reds and Brewers can win upwards of 90 games this season.
    Same here. I don't think 84 wins comes close this year.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

A guy from a Pirates blog reworked the old Hardball Times analysis about what teams should expect from each pitching slot, and he came up with this based on 2010 numbers:

#1 - 3.36 ERA or better
    #2 - 3.36 - 3.88 ERA
    #3 - 3.88 - 4.38 ERA
    #4 - 4.38 - 5.15 ERA
    #5 - 5.15 ERA or worse
    So I think he's probably under-rating Wood, since a guy who definitely belongs in a major-league rotation -- as I believe Wood to be -- is (on a league-wide level) at least a #4. #5 starters are, almost by definition, not good enough to keep a job for very long.

Either of those two guys could potentially be better than a #3 but as to the distribution of "possible" versus "likely," it's hard to say.

Original article: http://www.piratesprospects.com/2010...tion-spot.html
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    He's a useful guy to have around.

And if Hermida was going to put it all together, he would have by now. Guys like him don't sign minor league deals unless something's seriously gone off the rails there. But he'll be useful as well in a limited role.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

And if Hermida was going to put it all together, he would have by now. Guys like him don't sign minor league deals unless something's seriously gone off the rails there.
    Ryan Ludwick started to emerge at age 28. His first big year in full-time duty was at age 29. Hermida just turned 27. Given the upside, you can't close the book on him.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 03-03-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Agree with lollipopcurve on Hermida having the most upside of any LF in camp.

Also can't say I strongly disagree with Goldstein, although I'd say both Leake and Wood have the potential to fit into the #3 role based off of the Priates blogger's slot expectations. Cueto is a #2, and Volquez and Chapman are the only two arms the Reds have above A ball (and possibly in the entire organization) that have real potential to be true #1's. One could make an argument for Bailey, but I need to see a season full of consistency from him before he can be factored into the conversation for an ace. All the more reason why Chapman should get reconsideration as a starter, especially if Volquez does not return to early 2008 form and/or Bailey can't maintain consistency this year.

Not the proper forum but I'd love to see the Reds bring in some high upside arms and power bats for the corners through the draft and international signing period this year. Those are far and away the biggest glaring organizational weaknesses, especially once you look beyond the major league roster.
    Last edited by Benihana; 03-03-2011 at 10:01 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I can't believe anyone actually thinks there won't be a platoon in LF. Dusty was simply building up Gomes' confidence and giving him credit for having a solid (yet inconsistent) 2010 season. Gomes was really one of the leaders of the team and Dusty doesn't want to disrespect him by saying there will be a platoon. He wants to make Lewis earn it first.

I also like Erardi very much. And I'm sure deep down he fully knows there will be a platoon in LF this year: Gomes against lefties, Lewis against righties (with some Heisey mixed in at times of course).

Turn Off Ads?