Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Erardi: No Platoon In LF Bad Move For Reds

Re: Erardi: No Platoon In LF Bad Move For Reds

This is the main reason I want the platoon. There isn't really a lineup that makes sense vs RHP that has Gomes in it. Here's what I'm guessing it will be:

Stubbs
    Phillips
    Votto
    Rolen
    Bruce
    Gomes
    Hern/Han
    Janish
    P

I would hate this lineup, and think it would be silly to hit Stubbs at the leadoff spot.

Doesn't this look a ton better?

Lewis
    Phillips
    Votto
    Rolen
    Bruce
    Stubbs
    Hern/Han
    Janish
    Pitcher

or even this? (I'm assuming Dusty is going to bat ER 2nd when he plays. Not what I would do, but I'm just assuming).

Lewis
    Renteria
    Votto
    Rolen
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Stubbs
    Hern/Han
    Pitcher
    Absolutely agree. Personally, I like #3 (could switch Renteria and Phillips, but whatever). To me #1 is a really bad idea, especially in key division games against righties like Greinke, Marcum, Gallardo, Carpenter, Zambrano, Myers, etc. And I fear that's where Baker is going to start out in 2011.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    He's a useful guy to have around.

And if Hermida was going to put it all together, he would have by now. Guys like him don't sign minor league deals unless something's seriously gone off the rails there. But he'll be useful as well in a limited role.
    Ryan Ludwick, Nelson Cruz, Jose Bautista, even Cody Ross just off the top of my head have became solid to pretty good players after their careers fizzled. Hermida is just now 27, there is a laundry list of guys who didn't really get their careers in shape until that age.

Our very own Brandon Phillips was 25 before he got things turned around in his career.

Nobody is banking on Hermida getting a lot of playing time and maybe not even making the roster. But you have to take minor league flyers on some guys that have talent, there is no risk in it.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    If Baker insists on playing Gomes most of the time for a couple months, no matter how well he does, I hope it does not also mean he's going to try to force Stubbs into the leadoff spot (because Lewis will be on the bench). Stubbs has said he prefers to hit lower in the lineup, and the numbers from last year show his performance has reflected that.

I'm usually not someone to harp on lineups, but I will be chirping if Stubbs is in that #1 spot week after week and not hitting well, come the regular season.
    This. Stubbs needs to be batting sixth or seventh ... not leadoff. That said, Dusty will probably bat him leadoff every game that Gomes starts and Lewis is on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    If Baker insists on playing Gomes most of the time for a couple months, no matter how well he does, I hope it does not also mean he's going to try to force Stubbs into the leadoff spot (because Lewis will be on the bench). Stubbs has said he prefers to hit lower in the lineup, and the numbers from last year show his performance has reflected that.

I'm usually not someone to harp on lineups, but I will be chirping if Stubbs is in that #1 spot week after week and not hitting well, come the regular season.
    It is entirely possible that Stubbs' rise had more to do with him gaining experience in the majors and less to do with his spot in the order. He was hitting lower in the order in June-July and he wasn't killing it.

He also hit leadoff in a bunch of games in August and September and didn't seem to struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    It is entirely possible that Stubbs' rise had more to do with him gaining experience in the majors and less to do with his spot in the order. He was hitting lower in the order in June-July and he wasn't killing it.

He also hit leadoff in a bunch of games in August and September and didn't seem to struggle.
    I agree. IMO, if Stubbs has really turned a corner then it's not going to matter where he hits.

It may have been true that early on he tried to change his batting style to his position in the batting order, but I think that is something he has/will grow out of.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

IF Alonso can play left field & IF he is ready on opening day then he would be my left fielder. thats two IFs.

Heisey or Sappelt could be an everyday player but they would have to tear up spring training to win the everyday job on opening day. Maybe one of them is eventually the everyday guy in left or maybe one of them could end up as a right handed part of a platoon.

Gomes & Lewis have been around enough to show their strengths & weaknesses. Neither is a good choice for an everyday player. Both will be productive if used correctly. Hermida is a reclamation project. He could turn into Nelson Cruz or more likely not amount to much.

To me left field seems a pretty straightforward platoon situation unless one of the kids wins the job. I think Lewis/Gomes in LF is worth about 3 WAR. Gomes as an everyday left fielder is worth ~0 WAR & Lewis as an everyday left fielder is worth ~1.5 WAR. Gomes shouldn't start vs a righty & Lewis shouldn't start vs a lefty. They have been around enough for a manager to see how they best help the team. If I ran the team a Lewis/Gomes platoon would be 'pencilled in' for left field until one of the kids wins the everyday job or shows themselves to be superior to Lewis or Gomes (ie maybe Hermida beats out Lewis for the left hand part of the platoon or maybe Heisey beats out Gomes for the right hand part of the platoon).

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

This is so much fun. Just talking/debating about this stuff. Gomes, Lewis, Hermida, Heisey, Sappelt ... it's perhaps our "weakest" spot on the team ... and it's not that weak at all.

Winning!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    This is so much fun. Just talking/debating about this stuff. Gomes, Lewis, Hermida, Heisey, Sappelt ... it's perhaps our "weakest" spot on the team ... and it's not that weak at all.

Winning!
    There is so much talent on this team. We're not used to that. Platoon in left field? I'm all for it if Lewis comes through. Gomes can be breath-taking both ways. And I agree, it's the weakest spot on the team, but not so weak at all. Isn't it wonderful that a platoon in left is the only weak spot we can discuss? I find that exhilarating. The dark days are over.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    There is so much talent on this team. We're not used to that. Platoon in left field? I'm all for it if Lewis comes through. Gomes can be breath-taking both ways. And I agree, it's the weakest spot on the team, but not so weak at all. Isn't it wonderful that a platoon in left is the only weak spot we can discuss? I find that exhilarating. The dark days are over.
    I agree with you WVRF about the talent and depth of the roster.

The dark days do indeed seem to be behind us, for the first time in years I honestly do believe the Reds are capeable of contending for a Championship.

Yet doubt keeps slipping into the back of my mind. No matter how hard I try to ignore them questions remain.

Is this just a break in the clouds? Or has this organization finally seen the light?

Turn Off Ads?