Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Healthy Homer Bailey Ready To Bloom

A Healthy Homer Bailey Ready To Bloom

From Cincinnati.com:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ey-ready-bloom

Seems like Homer sure has matured, I'd love to see him live up to his potential. Any Predictions?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: A Healthy Homer Bailey Ready To Bloom

Predictions? That for every spring training there ever will be in the future, there will be a variety of articles talking about how this or that player is healthy and ready to bounce to bigger and better things after a fantastic September the year before.

That said, I'm really rooting for Homer to get it together this year and meet his potential.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

18-5, 3.25 era, 200+ k's, 200+ ip, 70 bb's ....and he firmly entrenches himself in the "ace" role for the staff.

I firmly believe that this is the year. I thought last year was going to be his breakout, but the injury quickly derailed that unfortunately. Last season I called for Bruce & Bailey to break out. Bruce started his in the second half last year...he'll continue it this season. Homer catches up QUICKLY. Can't WAIT for the season to start.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If this team is going to repeat as NL Central champions and wants any shot of advancing deeper into the postseason, they're going to need Homer Bailey to step up and throw a full season of good baseball. He and Volquez are the keys to the rotation -- as they go, this team goes IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    18-5, 3.25 era, 200+ k's, 200+ ip, 70 bb's ....and he firmly entrenches himself in the "ace" role for the staff.

I firmly believe that this is the year. I thought last year was going to be his breakout, but the injury quickly derailed that unfortunately. Last season I called for Bruce & Bailey to break out. Bruce started his in the second half last year...he'll continue it this season. Homer catches up QUICKLY. Can't WAIT for the season to start.
    I'll take whatever coffee you are drinking this morning.

That would be a miracle season beyond belief.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

IMHO it's unlikely, but not beyond belief. The numbers he threw out there are pretty comparable to what Volquez put up in '08.

I also agree with CE: this team's destiny in '11 is riding on Bailey and Volquez.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

If this team is going to repeat as NL Central champions and wants any shot of advancing deeper into the postseason, they're going to need Homer Bailey to step up and throw a full season of good baseball. He and Volquez are the keys to the rotation -- as they go, this team goes IMO.
    Have to agree, at least on the pitching side. Offense has a swing guy or two as well (probably Stubbs and Rolen).

Why is this season so dependent on a guy who has never proven himself to be a consistent major league starter?

I think it's more dependent on Arroyo & Cueto pitching like last year and Wood continuing to develop.

Certainly Bailey & Volquez could make things much, much better, but I personally hope this season does not depend on them, or we are all likely to be very disappointed.

I hope they prove me wrong, but I'm keeping my expectations for them fairly low.

Why is this season so dependent on a guy who has never proven himself to be a consistent major league starter?
    The idea is that the expected performances of Arroyo, Cueto and Wood seem somewhat certain. Those of Volquez and Bailey do not -- they could be real good or no help at all. They're the variables in the equation -- plug in their actual performance and it tells you how the team comes out.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The idea is that the expected performances of Arroyo, Cueto and Wood seem somewhat certain. Those of Volquez and Bailey do not -- they could be real good or no help at all. They're the variables in the equation -- plug in their actual performance and it tells you how the team comes out.
    I'd agree with Arroyo & Cueto for the most part, but I don't think we're anywhere CLOSE to being able to say what Wood can or can't do. As the SABR-guys like to say "SSS".

I wish nothing but the best for Homer as a Red and starting ASAP but I don't believe he has what it takes to be what so many wish for him to be. Hope I'm wrong but by July the rotation will be plus a Leake and minus a sieve.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

I agree with Wolfboy. Unlikely, yes, but not a miracle. He's got the stuff. He's shown it for portions of seasons. He's hitting the age that if he's going to put it together it's going to be sooner rather than later.

I would not be surprised if he puts up a monster season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't either.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I wish nothing but the best for Homer as a Red and starting ASAP but I don't believe he has what it takes to be what so many wish for him to be. Hope I'm wrong but by July the rotation will be plus a Leake and minus a sieve.
    I agree with you probably 95% of the time, MR, but I just don't get this stuff about Homer "not having what it takes". And I know quite a few people say it, so I'm probably more in the minority than you.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    The talent is there. That can be said for Volquez, Cueto, Wood and Leake too. With that kind of talent, someone or many will emerge this year. Do I think Homer will win 18 games? No. I don't see an 18-game winner in any of them, but I see better pitching than we've had in ages. Someone will emerge in this group. The rest will be adequate if not good. It's a nice problem to have.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I think it will all depend on his health. If he stays healthy, I think he can win 18 this year. I also think Volquez can win 18 this year, but I don't think he will...they've put him up against other teams #1 pitchers and I think he will lose quite a few close ones. Bailey on the other hand, will mostly be pitching against #3 - #5 pitchers...with our defense I feel he's got a distinct advantage against those types of pitchers. I look for Arroyo to up his win count for the same reason, he won't be up against the other team's #1 very often, or at least not as often as last year.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?