Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rays to Royals to...Pirates?

Rays to Royals to...Pirates?

We've all seen what a team can do when they have a plethora of great young players mature at around the same time. The Reds were no exception to this.

However, what is interesting to me is when teams do it because of several consecutive years of futility and corresponding high draft choices. The Rays were the first example, with top picks BJ Upton, Evan Longoria, Delmon Young, Jeff Nieman, and David Price. The Royals are now stacked to the brim with the likes of Mike Moustakas, Eric Hosmer, Wil Myers, and several others.

What is interesting (and relevant to the Reds) is that the next team to follow in this course may be the Pirates. With young, high upside arms like Luis Heredia, Jameson Tallion and Stetson Allie, Tony Sanchez behind the plate, and the possibility of Pedro Alvarez and Anthony Rendon manning the corners of the infield, the Pirates could field a nice young foundation for the next 5-7 years (the pitchers especially are at least 2-3 years away from the majors). Of course a lot can happen to any of these guys between now and then. But if these players materialize as they are projected, and they can retain Andrew McCutcheon and Jose Tabata, which is a large if given their recent history, the Pirates could emerge from baseball purgatory like the Rays and potentially the Royals do/did before them, although it likely won't be for the next 2-3 years at least. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Benihana; 03-04-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rays to Royals to...Pirates?

I know it's all but a matter of time before the whole KC thing pops off, but it hasn't happened yet...As far as the Pirates, well, if it can be screwed up, they are likely to do so.
    2015 Rotation: Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani

Pittsburgh would have mattered a long time ago if it was a guarentee that high picks made it a certainty. The Pirates are a lot like the Cubs... if theres someway to screw it up they'll find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

The problem with the Pirates is it coudl still be a few years because they've consistently chosen signability picks until recently. They wasted a lot of time with the likes of Bullington and all.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I'm not seeing it yet. The 4 Rs (Rays, Rangers, Reds and Royals), who most recently went from have nots to haves, show a lot more depth to fill up the roster. I'm not seeing much beyond the top 7 or so in Pittsburgh and by the time most arrive. McCutcheon will probably be ready to leave town (and maybe Walker and even Alvarez). The Pirates should probably consider dealing McCutchon now to get 4 or 5 pieces. He'll be arb eligible soon and his value might just go down. A deep team with lots of prospects could probably afford to overpay for a guy like him to push themselves to the next level and the kids the Pirates get would more coincide with the others coming of age.

Hmm, I wonder where a team like that might be....
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

McCutheon is in Pittsburgh's hands for another four years, IIRC. That may be long enough for all the pieces to solidify and make them respectable.

But mth's take about a lack of depth is right on. Part of the reason Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, and now the Royals look so good is that depth of prospect just under the upper echelon.

The reason the Reds won last season was more Chris Heisey than Yorman Rodriguez. Paul Janish had more to do with the NL pennant than did Yonder Alonso. Ditto Matt Maloney, Sam LeCure, Ryan Hanigan, Logan Ondrusek, and even Jordan Smith.

That's similar to Tampa's depth at both AAA and the major league pipeline. Right now, KC looks to have a ton of top level guys, but, almost as important, they have some intriguing depth as well.

Pittsburgh has some top level guys, but almost no depth.

Good farms, IMO, have to have both.

Actually, of the hinterlands of the National League, I like Washington's depth and top end guys right now much more than the Pirates and think they can really push forward in their division. (Of course, I also really, really like Atlanta's young guys-- more than Washington's, if push comes to shove. They have a LOT of young guys almost ready.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Turn Off Ads?