Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Carolina Mudcats Roster - What will it look like?

2011 Carolina Mudcats Roster - What will it look like?

Just curious as to some thoughts on the Mudcats roster for 2011? I know that Grandal will be there, but will Hamilton and Yorman R. be there?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2011 Carolina Mudcats Roster - What will it look like?

I think both those guys start in Dayton. I would assume Negron, Soto and Puckett would be other positional prospects starting in AA.
    "I hate SF."

-Mat Latos

-The Insider-

Yea, no way on Yorman and Billy even sniffing Double-A this year.

I am thinking this, nothing official or anything I've heard, just kinda my "expert" knowledge.

C-Grandal
    1B-Soto
    2B-Puckett/Kahaulelio
    3B-The guy we signed from Independent league, can't think of his name
    SS-Negron
    LF-Day
    CF-Perez
    RF-Phipps

With a bench of Rojas, Denove/McMurry, Carlson and a guy or two from Single-A/free agent signing.

The pitching staff is harder to predict because the Reds have a ton of guys that could go to Triple-A or stay in Double-A. I won't attempt to guess that. But Carroll, Hotckiss, Webb, Freeman, Joseph are basically locks.

The outfield will probably be Felix Perez, Kyle Day, and possibly Dennis Phipps. There has been a lot of talk on this board of fast tracking Perez. I don't believe his performance to date warrants a spot in Louisville but we'll see how that works out and what they have open. I do believe he would be there some time this year either way. Kyle Day was promoted to AA late last year and I believe he sticks. Dennis Phipps should start here as well.

I'm probably the only one that thinks this way, but if read that Costanzo was back here to begin the season I wouldn't be surprised. I think he is between AA and AAA ready. That's just me. This would have to assume Francisco was in Louisville to start the season. I agree on Soto, Negron, and Puckett. Not knowing Kahaulelio's status contract wise, I'm thinking he doesn't come back.

I would guess, and it is a guess, Denove is here with Grandal as far as the catching duties go. My assumption is that Miller and Mez will be the two guys in Louisville.

As unusual a statement as this may be, I expect the strength of the team to be pitching. I am hoping the pen is much improved through experience and health this year. That was the achilles heel of the Mudcats last year.

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Didn't Neftali Soto start as a C and get moved to 3B? What's he doing at 1B now?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

-The Insider-

Muddie, Jake is still in the organization. And the thing with Perez is they really don't have an opening in Triple-A for him, do they?

And 320, I'm not sure about Soto. I just kinda thought/assumed he was playing first.

I see no reason to fast track many, if any OFers. We've got Stubbs and Bruce entrenched in CF and RF for years to come. Yes, LF is open long term, but that's only one spot.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

cinreds21, he is indeed playing 1B in ST for the big-league club, I'm just wondering when he moved there.

He was moved last year, 320. As a part-time catcher, part-time DH, and part-time 1B.

Of the offensive team listed as likely AA candidates, only five have any semblance of cache to move on to the majors. And all of them have their warts and questions.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Yea, no way on Yorman and Billy even sniffing Double-A this year.

I am thinking this, nothing official or anything I've heard, just kinda my "expert" knowledge.

C-Grandal
    1B-Soto
    2B-Puckett/Kahaulelio
    3B-The guy we signed from Independent league, can't think of his name
    SS-Negron
    LF-Day
    CF-Perez
    RF-Phipps

With a bench of Rojas, Denove/McMurry, Carlson and a guy or two from Single-A/free agent signing.

The pitching staff is harder to predict because the Reds have a ton of guys that could go to Triple-A or stay in Double-A. I won't attempt to guess that. But Carroll, Hotckiss, Webb, Freeman, Joseph are basically locks.
    Crowded IF. OF looks open. Not high on Phipps. I have to wonder if they'll go with Negron at 2B and Rojas at SS with a guy like Puckett spending time in LF. Rojas is a legit defender at SS (probably better than Janish or Cozart) and if the bat comes at all could end up really valuable. I'm guessing he'll get the chance to play ahead of a guy like Jake K. Negron is a legit MI as well and with a decision on Phillips on the horizon, they just may want to see him at 2B for a season. Puckett, like Frazier and Valaiaka before him, doesn't seem like a guy that a big league team would want at 2B every day but I could be wrong. He seems to have enough pop for 3B or maybe even LF but that's iffy IMO.

With Alonzo, Frazier, Dorn, Sappelt, Hermida or Heisey and maybe Griffin all getting some OF time at AAA, I have to wonder if a guy like Barton ends up in AA. They also signed a journeyman named David Cook who probably plays some OF there.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

-The Insider-

Yea, Negrón at second could happen. I'll do some digging.

I don't get all the Miguel Rojas praise. He may have a good glove but he also has a career minor league OPS of .593. Sure he may still be developing, but deciding to move a prospect with a pulse because of the presence of Rojas doesn't make sense to me.

If it was a move based on where a guy like Negron could provide the most long-term value that would be a more rational thought process IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Didn't Neftali Soto start as a C and get moved to 3B? What's he doing at 1B now?

You are absolutely correct about Soto starting as a catcher. I have a Hillcats program we bought last year when we went up to see Volquez first rehab start. The cover has Soto and Mez on it, both in full catchers gear. The June 2010 program has the cover titled, Masked Men.

Is outfielder Sean Henry still in the Reds system? If so, it seems like he would be assigned to Carolina.

Negron probably will start the season there as well, but I see him moving quickly up to Louisville, once the Reds have figured out the IF logjam involving Frazier, Francisco, Cozart and Valaika. At least one of the 'tweeners ought to be dealt before his luster fades and he's deemed more suspect than prospect. The big ? Who's the 'tweener?

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    Is outfielder Sean Henry still in the Reds system? If so, it seems like he would be assigned to Carolina.

Negron probably will start the season there as well, but I see him moving quickly up to Louisville, once the Reds have figured out the IF logjam involving Frazier, Francisco, Cozart and Valaika. At least one of the 'tweeners ought to be dealt before his luster fades and he's deemed more suspect than prospect. The big ? Who's the 'tweener?
    Luster has already faded. I'd say the tweeners are Frazier and Valaika. Francisco is a bench player and Cozart the most likely to be a regular player.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?