Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Carolina Mudcats Roster - What will it look like?

Re: 2011 Carolina Mudcats Roster - What will it look like?

Actually, Soto was a shortstop his first year (2007) in rookie ball, which is hard to imagine, given his distinct lack of foot speed. He played third base the next two years, and became a part-time, experimental catcher in 2010, when he was moved, primarily, to first base. I don't know if he's still tinkering with catching or not.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

No, Henry was a free agent and is no longer with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    No, Henry was a free agent and is no longer with the Reds.
    That's a good thing...He never did impress me too much anyway! Saw him when he was with the Mets (Kingsport) his rookie season. Seemed he thought he was a lot better than what he really was.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Luster has already faded. I'd say the tweeners are Frazier and Valaika. Francisco is a bench player and Cozart the most likely to be a regular player.
    If you're talking about middle infield, I agree that Frazier is a 'tweener (in that he probably can't play either MI position for more than a couple days without hurting the team).

If you're talking about Frazier as a tweener in terms of AAAA status, I disagree. He'll make the majors and should prove valuable as a super-sub who can adequately play up to five spots across the diamond with a plus (800-825 OPS) bat.

Francisco is still young for his league and has improved a great deal. Sticking the bench player label on him might be a quick trigger. His power and BA can play at the major league level. So can his arm. His range needs work as does his patience.

Puckett, too, is an awfully potent bat to be moving. He's proven he's not horrid at 2B. He reminds me a great deal of Dan Uggla, in terms of body type (short and squat-ish) and power. He'll probably never be a Gold Glover at the keystone position-- will probably, in fact, be a negative glove-- but his bat more than makes up for it.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 03-05-2011 at 08:49 PM.

I like Puckett's power potential @ 2B, how does his D there rate?

Right now, he's decent enough to try. That's about it. His range is okay (not great but not horrid), his glove work is alright (he makes the plays he should and little else), and his arm is good enough for 2B. There's definitely nothing special there, but, if he hits, 2B makes the most sense, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Right now, he's decent enough to try. That's about it. His range is okay (not great but not horrid), his glove work is alright (he makes the plays he should and little else), and his arm is good enough for 2B. There's definitely nothing special there, but, if he hits, 2B makes the most sense, IMO.
    Where have you seen him play?

My wife and I spend about a month a summer on the road, watching minor league ball. I try to follow the Reds' minor league teams most of that time. As a result, I've seen him as a Dragon and again last season in Lynchburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    My wife and I spend about a month a summer on the road, watching minor league ball. I try to follow the Reds' minor league teams most of that time. As a result, I've seen him as a Dragon and again last season in Lynchburg.
    A man after my own heart. Don't know if you've ever been to Carolina but if you think you may come down this year let me know.

Cool! I'll PM when we've decided our course. (That said, she'll be nine month's pregnant when we usually go. So we may end up staying closer to home and watching a ton of Bats games.)

IMO, Alex Buchholz and Brodie Greene are likely to move up as well. Carlos Mendez is also a candidate to move up, but as a 3B with little power, I can't figure where he would profile. It will be interesting to see how these players are positioned.

-The Insider-

Mendez was up a lot last year, he should be a backup in Carolina.

Hope Jake K. comes back this year, Tom Cochran, Jake, and Sean Danielson came and fished at my Grandparents pond this last season, nice guys.

The Reds signed David Cook, presumedly to help in Carolina. He hit 25 home runs in that league in 2009 with Birmingham. They need some help in the outfield in Carolina and he should provide it. Would look like Cook, Perez, and Fellhauer in the outfield with Day and Phipps on the bench. Not sure if Brian Barton would be willing to go back to Double-A or not. He has big league time but played independent ball last year. Not much room for him in Louisville.

The mention of Phipps reminds me that he got quite a few looks last year in spring training (with the big club, that is). Doesn't look like he's getting them this year. I suppose it means that other prospects have passed him by. This could be his put-up-or-shut-up season. I also wonder if the same applies to Fellhauer.

Turn Off Ads?