Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO's Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)

HBO's Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)

Anyone else excited for this show? For those who don't know, A Game of Thrones is the first book of George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, an epic fantasy series. HBO is attempting to turn the series into a television show, and Season 1 will cover the first book. The latest trailer for the HBO series is here. As a fan of the books, I have to say it looks almost perfect.

And in even better news, Martin has announced that - after an interminable wait - Book 5 (of a planned 7) - A Dance With Dragons - will be published on July 12 (shortly after season 1 of the TV show ends).

Without giving anything away to those who have not heard of it, the series basically concerns a series of political struggles and wars that take place in Westeros, a fictional continent in a world where seasons last for years. It is sometimes called Lord of the Rings for adults, but I don't really like the description too much, as I feel it cheapens both series. It is a fantasy series, but one that "feels" more realistic because, while there are some magic and supernatural elements, the story takes place in a world that is very grounded in a realistic political and social system. I am probably not doing the series justice, so I won't really try to describe it further, except to say that Martin has created really cool, interesting characters, and has told an addictive and highly entertaining story about them.

Let me put it in a way this board can understand. I have been a Reds fan since I was born, and I have to say I am almost as excited for April 17 - the day the series premiers - as I am for March 31 - when I have tickets for Opening Day. Wondering if there are any other fans on here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    And in even better news, Martin has announced that - after an interminable wait - Book 5 (of a planned 7) - A Dance With Dragons - will be published on July 12 (shortly after season 1 of the TV show ends).
    I think most people will be shocked if he meets that date. He certainly does not seem very driven to bring this series to a resolution.

I liked the series until the last book, which I hated, and now I'm convinced that he will never finish it. If book 5 ever comes out, I may pick it up but I've moved on to other authors at this point.

To your original point, I am looking forward to the TV series.
    Last edited by joshnky; 03-06-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'm reading the first book right now.

I hate the overwhelming majority of the characters involved, but it is very well written.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I think most people will be shocked if he meets that date. He certainly does not seem very driven to bring this series to a resolution.

I liked the series until the last book, which I hated, and now I'm convinced that he will never finish it. If book 5 ever comes out, I may pick it up but I've moved on to other authors at this point.

To your original point, I am looking forward to the TV series.
    Oh I am well aware of his lack of drive to finish the series. But surely even he can't miss this deadline. I have to think his publisher is going to publish whatever they have on July 12. If he does somehow miss it, it will be so hilarious I almost won't care.

In the end, I think the first 3 books are so awesome, that I don't really care if he finishes. They tell a complete story, in their way (minus some cliffhangers at the end). I also think that they are almost written like TV shows, and could be brilliantly adapted (not really surprising since GRRM was a television writer).

I think about getting to see some of the iconic characters and scenes that still stand out in my mind after having read the series several years ago... Would love to read them again someday, along with the Wheel of Time series.

Upon seeing this was being turned into an HBO production, and based upon the recommendations of a few on this board, I read the 1st book in anticipation of the series. While I'm not quite as excited as I was when Pillars of the Earth was turned into a series on Starz, I am looking forward to this and am glad I read the book. I'm waiting to read the 2nd until after watching the 1st series, in fear of having the 2nd book change my opininon of characters. In contract to CE, I loved a lot of the characters in the book. I can't decide which ones I liked best, lots of different view points to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I think about getting to see some of the iconic characters and scenes that still stand out in my mind after having read the series several years ago... Would love to read them again someday, along with the Wheel of Time series.
    The first 5-6 books of the Wheel of Time series were fantastic -- right up until the point where Rand started interacting heavily with the Aiel (sp?) guys from out in the Wasteland. It seemed, from that point onward, virtually every part of the books involving Rand was unbelievably tedious to read. It went from focusing too much on their culture (which was dull and tedious -- honor/bravery/Klingon nonsense) to focusing too much on Rand being chased by 3 women (despite being a moody, self-pitying ass) to focusing too much on Rand being crazy.

I finally punched out of the series for good when I read an entire book ("Winter's Heart" -- I think) where absolutely no major plotlines where moved forward or resolved.

Maybe I should give the series another shot someday -- but Wheel of Time really seems like a series that collapsed under the weight of all the ongoing plotlines and took it's characters down strange and odd pathes.

Or, really, maybe it's just me. I tend to lose patience with long fantasy series at some point -- I also dropped out of "The Sword of Truth" after 5 or so books. That series made the mistake of hooking the main characters up too quickly and then had to constantly do annoying things to split them up and create drama. Plus I got the sense the author had a lot of odd fetishes based on some of the subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    In contract to CE, I loved a lot of the characters in the book. I can't decide which ones I liked best, lots of different view points to the story.
    I dunno -- I'm about 50% of the way through the book, and I think the only two characters that I can actually say that I "like" are Eddard Stark and Jon Snow.

It generally seems like every character that gets introduced is miserable. The King hates being King. Ned hates being forced into politics for the King. Catelyn has the whole Bran thing going on and her deal with the Dwarf as a result. Ned's two daughters both have problems. And that Dany girl is just a total mess -- with an insane older brother and a totally effed up situation with her being married off to some savage.

It's an interesting book, and I really like the attention to detail as far as settings and political manuvering goes -- but I can't figure out really who I'm supposed to be rooting for at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I dunno -- I'm about 50% of the way through the book, and I think the only two characters that I can actually say that I "like" are Eddard Stark and Jon Snow.

It generally seems like every character that gets introduced is miserable. The King hates being King. Ned hates being forced into politics for the King. Catelyn has the whole Bran thing going on and her deal with the Dwarf as a result. Ned's two daughters both have problems. And that Dany girl is just a total mess -- with an insane older brother and a totally effed up situation with her being married off to some savage.

It's an interesting book, and I really like the attention to detail as far as settings and political manuvering goes -- but I can't figure out really who I'm supposed to be rooting for at this point.
    Oh, I didn't realize you were only 50% of the way thru. Different strokes for different folks for sure, so you may feel the same way 300 more pages in, but I feel where your coming from now. When I was 50% of the way thru, I thought much of the same thing, but by the time the book was reaching the end, I liked most of the characters. Aside from Jon Snow, The dwarf (Tywian? can't remember his name exactly) became one of my favorites, and I still didn't know by the end of the book if I should like him or not. I'd be interested to hear your take as you approach the end. I assume he's attempting to setup flaws in each character, as he progresses them along the book.

Maybe I should give the series another shot someday -- but Wheel of Time really seems like a series that collapsed under the weight of all the ongoing plotlines and took it's characters down strange and odd pathes.
    I agree with this for the most part but I'll point out that the last two books have been terrific since Brandon Sanderson has taken over for Robert Jordan. Jordan fell into the same problem most writers have in epic fantasy where he cared about all of his characters more than his readers' did. Sanderson was told to bring the series to a conclusion and has done well with the first two of the three final books. Of course, I'm a huge Sanderson fan (loved the Mistborn trilogy).

I'm reading the first book right now.

I hate the overwhelming majority of the characters involved, but it is very well written.
    Don't forget to use the appendix, it has a list of each "house" and it's characters.

A whole bunch of preview videos (not quite trailers; more like introductions to various families and characters) were released today. I won't list all the links here, but you can find them here.

I would comment on the posts about the books, but it's too hard to do so without giving anything away. It's interesting to read the reactions of people who are just reading the books, or have only read one. They are definitely not for everyone, but if you are a fan of fantasy it doesn't get much better, imo.

Series premiers tonight at 9. I think some (all?) cable and satellite companies that offer HBO are offering it free this weekend. I'm pretty excited, not going to lie. Also, it will be on HBO approximately 1000 times over the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Series premiers tonight at 9. I think some (all?) cable and satellite companies that offer HBO are offering it free this weekend. I'm pretty excited, not going to lie. Also, it will be on HBO approximately 1000 times over the next week.
    I bought HBO just to watch the series, absolutely the best fantasy series I've ever read.

I thought the first episode was about note prefect. It's been a long time (probably going back to the first "Harry Potter" movie) since I've seen the look and feel of a book captured so well on film.

Turn Off Ads?