Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: HBO's Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)

I have a little less than 100 pages to go. Should be done in a day or so. I work 12 hour shifts so it is gonna be tough to squeeze in!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Anyone finish the 5th book yet? I finished it last week and have been looking to discuss/vent with someone. PM me to avoid spoilers for the show (I guess)
    Without spoilers, I'd be interested in knowing how people feel about the fifth book. I read the first four several years ago but HATED the fourth book. That combined with the wait for the fifth book really turned me off. I have a request in for it at the library (won't pay for it because I'm not a GRR Martin fan) but I haven't decided whether I want to invest the time to read it.

I am still in book one. Great stuff so far. Much better than Wheel of Time in my opinion.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

My GF is away for a few months on work, so I can get back to my reading (I actually got her hooked on the TV show and she's now reading the books too -- didn't realize how big a fan she'd become until I got a text message one day from her that said "Because I'm the Khaleesi, and I said so." I LOL'd quite a bit).

Just finished Book 2 this past weekend and immediately transitioned into Book 3. I'm still awaiting the moment I've been warned about by several people, so every time I pick the book up I give myself at least an hour or so to read so that if I get into something really interesting I'll have time to keep reading.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Finally into book 5, and wow does it get dark. Martin could write horror if he wanted to.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Finally into book 5, and wow does it get dark. Martin could write horror if he wanted to.
    My girlfriend just started book 5 as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I just started reading/listening (audiobook) this series and can only say....WOW! I had read some of Martin's work before and was never really impressed, but this series has me hooked.

Can't wait to get to the rest of the books now.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    CE:

I read Games of Thrones the day it was released by pure happenstance, but I have become a devoted fan of the series. I am writing to WARN you... there will be a point when you are reading Book 3 that you will have a dramatic emotional reaction.
    When that happens, close the book and please post here immediately.

I have bought the first book for close to 20 other folks and always given the the warning (above) as well as a warning that they will not be able to stop reading the series and will eventually be stuck with the rest of us waiting impatiently for the next book to come out. Every single one of them has contacted me when they hit the point in Book Three to curse me out for making them read and experience that.

It will be interesting to ready your reaction when you hit that point.

Brisco
    Bumping an older thread -- my reaction was "Wait, all this buildup and angst was leading up to THIS?!"
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Bumping an older thread -- my reaction was "Wait, all this buildup and angst was leading up to THIS?!"
    I know, right! I had to stop and rewind the audiobook and re-listen to that part just to make sure I didn't screw it up somehow.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Not sure if that's positive or negative, but I wish people wouldn't build it up like that. It's not nearly as interesting if you are waiting for the "big thing people told me about" to happen.

There's something about these books, as I learned from internet discussions about the TV shows, that really makes people want to discuss things that happen in later books with people who are reading the earlier books (or watching the TV show). I'm not sure why people do this, as being surprised and having expectations delightfully and painfully overturned is, I think, one of the great things about reading them for the first time.

The third book has been out since the year 2000, it's not like someone gave away the ending to the most recent book. It's not like anyone is telling you that Bruce Willis's character in the movie the Sixth Sense is dead through out the entire movie. Oops, maybe I should have said spoiler alert there.

There is also the option of not reading a thread that is discussing the series if you don't want anything spoiled for you.

Turn Off Ads?