Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2010-2011

NBA 2010-2011

I know other NBA stuff was being discussed in the Lebron thread but figured we need a just NBA thread. I'm sure this won't get popular for a few months though.

Watched the Pacers and Spurs last night. The Spurs look very healthy, it's a long season but if they can stay healthy they'll be a very good team in the West.

The Pacers looked like the Pacers, I was so disappointed. I think they look good when TJ Ford isn't on the floor, he controls the ball way too much. Collison is the best PG they've had in a long time, I love watching him play. Hibbert looked really good on offense last night. They're young and hopefully this will be a nice year for them to build on, but I'm not sure they get into the playoffs this year as I had previously hoped. We'll see how they look against the Bobcats.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NBA 2010-2011

The NBA is very underrated by the average American sports fan. I fully admit that regular season NBA games are not nearly as good as playoff games but that can be said about every sport.

If you have not taken notice of all the young players that the NBA has now you are missing out on some incredible athletes. The NBA regular season allows them to show off that athleticism fully.

If you haven't watched the NBA in the last couple years just sit down and watch a game on TNT or ESPN during the week and you will be surprised I'm guessing. A prime example would be tonight with John Wall making his debut.

The Cavs won't be going 0-82 and the Heat won't be 82-0. Apparently, the season is already a success.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I think the NBA is fantastic.It's even better this year, now that I have a team that I can hate(Miami).Those guys are probably ok dudes I guess but,I just keep thinking about the Fri. after Lebron announced his intention to sell out errrrr sign with the Heat.ESPN aired live, some kind of welcoming party/introduction for the big three.It was terrible and pretty much made me sick.I knew then that I'd enjoy rooting against those guys just as much as I enjoy seeing the Yankees fail.Watching Boston(and I'm even a Laker fan) beat them down Tues. night was very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    The NBA is very underrated by the average American sports fan.
    I have to disagree with this. I think it's the complete opposite if you ask me. Ever since ESPN bought the rights to the NBA, they have been shoving the NBA down their viewer's throats. Even in the offseason, ESPN puts the NBA on the pedestal over every sport, including baseball (which is in full gear by than). For a sport that comes down to individual talent more so than team talent, and has subjective foul calling at times, I can't think of a more overrated professional sport. If nothing else is on, sure I'll watch it. But I'm just happy the NHL can make up for the dark spot in the calendar year where there's no MLB or college football to watch.

My Jazz seem to be undergoing some growing pains with the roster turnover. They'll be fine, though.

It's probably just posturing since their CBA is up but Stern is talking contraction.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5715816
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Spurs looked good against the Pacers. As their roster is a bit younger now, they intend to play a more up-tempo offense this year, without giving up their focus on defense. Fans are looking forward to seeing off-season signee Tiago Splitter in the lineup. Splitter was the MVP of his Euro league last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    My Jazz seem to be undergoing some growing pains with the roster turnover. They'll be fine, though.
    Ugly first two games. They seem to have no energy and were constantly getting out worked for rebounds and loose balls. They have a lot of new pieces and it will take a little bit of time to get it together. I would like to see DWill take over a bit more than he does sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Spurs looked good against the Pacers. As their roster is a bit younger now, they intend to play a more up-tempo offense this year, without giving up their focus on defense. Fans are looking forward to seeing off-season signee Tiago Splitter in the lineup. Splitter was the MVP of his Euro league last season.
    Yeah, my wife's family goes to several Spurs a year. We are looking forward to heading down once he starts playing. It'll be interesting to see how much of a boost he can give them in his first season.

Kings need to trade one of their bigs for another guard or athletic SF.

Wizards are just beyond awful with Arenas and Howard out of the lineup. They need a quality big man desperately. Maybe they'll do poorly enough to be able to draft Kanter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's probably just posturing since their CBA is up but Stern is talking contraction.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5715816
    I think this combined with talk of a hard cap and the possibility of a franchise tag indicates that the league wants to prevent further shenanigans similar to what occured with LeBron and the Heat this past summer. Stern is clearly concerned about teams and players using similar tactics that would result in teams concentrating talent in a few high-profile markets. He's probably pushing to make sure the NBA looks more like the NFL, where marquee talent is spread among small and large market teams. Contraction is probably the threat to the players that tells them what will happen if they don't agree to new free agency rules that improve the ability of small markets to retain their best players. One of the commissioner's roles is to promote the health of the league as a whole, and recent developments don't bode well for that.

While having superteams in places like Miami, NY and LA may be good for ESPN's ratings in the same way all those Yankees-Red Sox games are, the NBA is probably not strong enough to punt fan interest in the rest of the country for ratings gains in a few big markets. MLB has a practical monopoly on summer and doesn't have to worry about fans losing interest and choosing to watch the college game or other pro sports during their season, although they would be wise to push ESPN to give more airtime to teams outside the Northeast.

Me personally, this is probably the last I'll post in this thread. I lost interest in the NBA well before the LeBron saga. Now that Time Warner and XBox Live are giving me access to ESPN3, I'll have a lot more choices in my sports viewing. I've got more college games as well as EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, and cup games to watch.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I think the NBA is fantastic.It's even better this year, now that I have a team that I can hate(Miami).Those guys are probably ok dudes I guess but,I just keep thinking about the Fri. after Lebron announced his intention to sell out errrrr sign with the Heat.ESPN aired live, some kind of welcoming party/introduction for the big three.It was terrible and pretty much made me sick.I knew then that I'd enjoy rooting against those guys just as much as I enjoy seeing the Yankees fail.Watching Boston(and I'm even a Laker fan) beat them down Tues. night was very enjoyable.
    I hope you really enjoyed it because you probably won't get too many chances this year to revel in their defeat. They looked very good against the Magic tonight.

The run and gun, no D Pacers won tonight. I really enjoy watching Tyler Hansborough play.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I hope you really enjoyed it because you probably won't get too many chances this year to revel in their defeat. They looked very good against the Magic tonight.

The run and gun, no D Pacers won tonight. I really enjoy watching Tyler Hansborough play.
    Don't get me wrong,I fully expect them to win every game I watch.They are going to be hard to beat this year during the regular season if the big 3 stay healthy but, in the playoffs there are a few teams that I'm sure can knock them off.

Turn Off Ads?