Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to go?

Where to go?

So I'm now a couple years away from graduating college, and starting to think about where I want to live. I've been in Oxford, OH my whole life and hate it. Rude preppy students, rude redneck townies, winter that lasts forever and rainy summers. So anywhere but here really. I'm open to about anywhere in the country. Obviously, some of it is where you get job offers and such, but really, I can look wherever I want. So RZ'ers, what's a good place to live? I'm open to about anything not around here (OH, IN, KY), but would prefer somewhere warmer not colder, and with generally nice people. I used to think I wanted to live in Florida or Texas, but now I'm not sure. Might be too hot, Florida's expensive too. Based on browsing the internet, IDK, South Carolina looks pretty cool. Looking for opinions wherever I can find them.

Oh, also, I'm probably going to stay in the US, but am open to international possibilities I suppose.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where to go?

What degree are you pursuing?

San Diego fits your weather preference and is a really pleasant city.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-05-2015)

I travel all over the country with work, and I've learned this: People are the same everywhere you go. Different parts of town always have the different types but the makeup itself doesn't change from city to city. If you think where you are now doesn't have nice people, but some other place will, you're on a fool's errand.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-02-2015),dfs (01-03-2015),dougdirt (01-03-2015),Kingspoint (01-05-2015),nmculbreth (01-02-2015)

In my experience, South Carolina kinda sucks.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

Hypnotoad (01-03-2015),reds44 (01-21-2015),RedTeamGo! (01-05-2015),WrongVerb (01-05-2015)

My friend from England once told me this about the U S A, in a way it rings true

1. People who live on the east coast LOVE the city life, lots of cities and people there too, very urban, very built up, one has to make an effort to get to nature.

2. People on the west coast LOVE nature, lots of open space out there, everyone is always packing up the car for a road trip to a mountain or the beach.

3. People in the midwest LOVE their friends and family, they'll gladly spend an evening on a back deck at a local bar if they have their besties with them, they have everything they need.

Now of course that is a generalization (for the record he preferred Cincinnati to either coasts for #3 alone)

Weather is a factor always, as is what you do with your leisure time and who you do it with and where that might be. As is the cost of living and the future cost if you ever want to buy a home.

I left Ohio 33 years ago as a 19 year old because it sounded like an adventure, but I had also moved around my whole life so I wasn't looking at 19 years in the same space with an eye to leave. But OTOH I knew I was not a Cincinnatian for life, my family had moved and I wanted something else sooner than later.

In short what do you want to do with your professional life and your leisure time?

Cross reference those two things and you'll end up narrowing it down, but be aware, no place is perfect

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Lived there in 8th grade... not a fan

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-02-2015),BuckeyeRed27 (01-02-2015),oneupper (01-03-2015),reds1869 (01-03-2015),WrongVerb (01-05-2015)

If I was young and childless I'd give the Big Easy a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    If I was young and childless I'd give the Big Easy a whirl.
    I assume you mean you'd date Ernie Els. Not a bad idea, he seems like a fun time.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    North Carolina (particularly western NC) is much preferred. Asheville's a fine town, but maybe a bit too small for some (no pro or major college sports is kinda a tough one for me), mountains, expanding job market, good "local" scene, decent cost of living, not too far from the beach. I'd seriously do it in a second
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

15. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (01-11-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    North Carolina (particularly western NC) is much preferred. Asheville's a fine town, but maybe a bit too small for some (no pro or major college sports is kinda a tough one for me), mountains, expanding job market, good "local" scene, decent cost of living, not too far from the beach. I'd seriously do it in a second
    Yes this is a more eloquent way of what I was trying to say. My sister is in Asheville and loves it.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Alright, so to address some of the responses so far:
    I am majoring in Criminal Justice, but honestly am not committed to that field necessarily.
    I'm not sure how I feel about actually living in a big city (never done it), however I can say I'm not a big nature/outdoors person.
    What's wrong with South Carolina/ Why is North Carolina better?
    San Diego definitely sounds cool, though I don't exactly fit well with California politically.
    I understand that nowhere is perfect, but there has to be somewhere with nicer people than here. Has to be.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    What's wrong with South Carolina/ Why is North Carolina better?
    South Carolina just feels low rent and kinda trashy to me, and the best parts were the ones the closest to the NC border. But in fairness I have only explored pockets of that state, not every part of it. I lived in Charlotte, NC, the suburbs of Charlotte, and Wilmington, NC, and pretty much liked them all. A few things are more expensive than in SC but still reasonably low cost of living and the quality increase is worth it.

I myself am a New Jersey native and missed the northeast so while I liked NC alright, it really wasn't for me.

19. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-05-2015)

South Carolina (with a couple exceptions) is fairly cultureless. Charleston is pretty excellent and the "lowcountry" area between there and Savannah, GA is pretty nice, but tons of tourists and it's stinking hot down there. Areas like Columbia and Greenville/Spartanburg are a bit like Dayton only newer and not run down. They're acceptable, but pretty soulless.

I have family in Western NC and in the Raleigh-Durham area. I like both, but I love WNC, both setting and people.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Weather wise you really can't beat Southern California. As a whole California is pretty blue but OC and San Diego aren't if you actually feel that is an issue.

Ultimately you are going to end up where your job is and you can only control that so much. I would try to travel a bit and just visit areas you haven't been to before and see what you like.

Turn Off Ads?