Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 251

Thread: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

  1. #121
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    863

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Lower quality, perhaps, but is the 60% price increase of an already expensive burger worth it?

    I don't care if I eat at a local place or a chain place. I just want some good food for a price that isn't ridiculous. Right now, the prices are ridiculous. I can buy an entire large LaRosas pizza for the price of a burger and fries at this place.
    I think you need a better grasp of food cost. Pizza has and will always be one of the cheapest products to make. Looking at their menu, sure it seems lofty but it certainly isn't outrageous. Supposing they're using CAB their price of steaks and prime rib is and actually extremely reasonable given the inflated cost of rib-eye right now. People seem to think that business raise prices based purely on a profit system but between food cost and labor a lot of places come close to just hitting cost with their prices. Most of the profit they expect is from appetizers, desserts and drinks. I've worked at places where the profit margin on a $30 filet was only about $3 again not outrageous, just a product to get you in to buy other products.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #122
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,622

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Had a chance to sample some of the food there last night (after just drinking at my previous stop-in): Pretty good. Everyone at my table seemed to enjoy their meals. The BBQ Chicken Flatbread got especially rave reviews as an appetizer. I had a chicken sandwich that was excellent.

    I would definitely go back for dinner in the future.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-03-2012 at 12:29 PM.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  4. #123
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,875

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsIn07 View Post
    I think you need a better grasp of food cost. Pizza has and will always be one of the cheapest products to make. Looking at their menu, sure it seems lofty but it certainly isn't outrageous. Supposing they're using CAB their price of steaks and prime rib is and actually extremely reasonable given the inflated cost of rib-eye right now. People seem to think that business raise prices based purely on a profit system but between food cost and labor a lot of places come close to just hitting cost with their prices. Most of the profit they expect is from appetizers, desserts and drinks. I've worked at places where the profit margin on a $30 filet was only about $3 again not outrageous, just a product to get you in to buy other products.
    If a burger cost that much, then other places wouldn't be able to sell them, with the same amount of actual meat, for 60-70% off of that price. You are paying more for the burger because of where the place is located, not because of what it cost.

  5. #124
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    863

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If a burger cost that much, then other places wouldn't be able to sell them, with the same amount of actual meat, for 60-70% off of that price. You are paying more for the burger because of where the place is located, not because of what it cost.
    Oh there's no doubt location is part of the equation but it also depends what grade meat they are using. Burgers aren't the best example hence why I brought up ribeye, not to mention prices of certain items have to reflect the rest of the menu. My point is that this might not just be some overpriced bar as some people are writing it off to be. No sense in passing judgement when no one has really tried it yet.

  6. #125
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,410

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    I went to both places before the concert last night. Lager House was cool and I had a great beer but it was expensive and wasn't really my scene. Got to the Holy Grail just before it got very crowded and had a good time there. All being said, you can't beat $4 beers at O'Malley's...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  7. #126
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,875

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    All being said, you can't beat $4 beers at O'Malley's...
    Sure you can. I bet the grocery store sells them much cheaper.

  8. #127
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    628

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure you can. I bet the grocery store sells them much cheaper.
    And yet, that isn't really the point...

    Some people actually enjoy going out, being social and having a good time. Of course you can buy a six pack at your local grocery store, but that isn't the same thing as going out with friends, having an adult beverage or two and having a good time.

    Do you honestly enjoy your pompous, self-righteous know-it-all schtick or do you find it as tedious as the rest of us?

  9. #128
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,875

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    And yet, that isn't really the point...

    Some people actually enjoy going out, being social and having a good time. Of course you can buy a six pack at your local grocery store, but that isn't the same thing as going out with friends, having an adult beverage or two and having a good time.

    Do you honestly enjoy your pompous, self-righteous know-it-all schtick or do you find it as tedious as the rest of us?
    I enjoy it.

    My issue is that the idea of $4 beers is a good deal. I guess for some, it isn't terrible. But when you can by a case for $20 at the store of the same beer that is $4 at the bar, I am going to point out that you indeed can beat that.

    Of course I don't drink, so maybe I just don't get the idea of "going out and drinking socially".

  10. #129
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,410

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I enjoy it.

    My issue is that the idea of $4 beers is a good deal. I guess for some, it isn't terrible. But when you can by a case for $20 at the store of the same beer that is $4 at the bar, I am going to point out that you indeed can beat that.

    Of course I don't drink, so maybe I just don't get the idea of "going out and drinking socially".
    Actually, $4 for the beer I was drinking was a terrific deal. Just as you wouldn't pay for one of Terry's burgers, I'm sure you'd prefer beer of the $20 case variety. I wanted something I can taste.

    If you don't want to drink that's fine, but then you aren't going to have any perspective on this issue. I was downtown for a concert with some buddies. Six-packs were not a priority...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  11. #130
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,875

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Actually, $4 for the beer I was drinking was a terrific deal. Just as you wouldn't pay for one of Terry's burgers, I'm sure you'd prefer beer of the $20 case variety. I wanted something I can taste.

    If you don't want to drink that's fine, but then you aren't going to have any perspective on this issue. I was downtown for a concert with some buddies. Six-packs were not a priority...
    I would rather have a Coke, because like you, I want something that tastes good.

  12. #131
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,441

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    We went to the Lager House tonight and really enjoyed it. A 2 hour wait at 4 P.M. and when we left at 7:20 there was a line all the way to the sidewalk. So I'd say that at the moment the prices aren't deterring anyone. The food was very good and so was the beer.

  13. #132
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,376

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure you can. I bet the grocery store sells them much cheaper.
    But there's something to be said for enjoying your beer with others in a fun downtown atmosphere next to the ballpark.

    You know, you can also save a lot of money just watching the Reds at home instead of going to games. But where's the fun in that?

  14. #133
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,376

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Actually, $4 for the beer I was drinking was a terrific deal. Just as you wouldn't pay for one of Terry's burgers, I'm sure you'd prefer beer of the $20 case variety. I wanted something I can taste.

    If you don't want to drink that's fine, but then you aren't going to have any perspective on this issue. I was downtown for a concert with some buddies. Six-packs were not a priority...
    How was the concert? I heard the sold-out crowd was really into it.

  15. #134
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,410

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would rather have a Coke, because like you, I want something that tastes good.
    It's a taste you have to acquire over time. I didn't like beer at first either. Now there are times when I crave it. I don't think you can ever appreciate the taste of beer if you limit yourself to the kind of light beer they sell by the 30...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  16. #135
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,410

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    How was the concert? I heard the sold-out crowd was really into it.
    That's a tough question for me to answer because it was the third time I saw The Black Keys and second time I saw the Arctic Monkeys. I'm not the kind of person to hate a band because they become popular, but I do hold some animosity towards fans who don't appreciate their back catalog and didn't give AM a chance. This was my first "arena" show and I hated being stuck in front of a seat. 'course the floor looked kinda lame. All in all the two bands killed it and put on a great show...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25