Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
I also spent some time in Austria and loved the food. I never once had a craving for a cheeseburger because the local food was just that much better. The small country restaurants, especially in Tirol, had some of the best food I've ever eaten, anywhere.
So true. When I moved there for school, I went months before setting foot in a McDonald's and only did so because I was feeling a little homesick around the holidays. I lived in Salzburg, which had some great restaurants that most people would never find, because they were located either in some small alley off the main street or in a residential neighborhood. And ironically, the best Chinese food I've ever had was attached to the soccer stands for a local athletic club. One of the things I learned was to strike up a conversation with a local and ask them where a good place to eat could be found. They usually tip you off to the best spots.

When it comes to German food here, I find the biggest problem to be that a lot of places cook the food ahead and just reheat it when someone orders it, rather than cooking to order. I love schnitzel and make a mean one myself at home, but when I'm out, I often find the schnitzel to be rather dry, a sign it was made earlier in the day and reheated.