Thread: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Another fine addition to the Banks was announced today:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/newintow...-to-the-banks/

Here's their website:

http://www.yardhouse.com/default.aspx

Sounds like a great addition and will give us ber drinkers an option when the Lager House is packed. Might even help keep the Lager House honest on pricing...

Of course I'll believe the 200 beers on tap when I see it
    This is awesome news. I love watching The Banks grow. My wife and I spent the night downtown a couple of weeks ago. We had lunch at the Moerlein Lager House watched the afternoon 'Stros game (6-0 win for the Redlegs) then had dinner at Palomino on Fountain Square. Just two years ago, we would have stayed and eaten in KY. Finally, Ohio is getting it right.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's their website:

Sounds like a great addition and will give us ber drinkers an option when the Lager House is packed. Might even help keep the Lager House honest on pricing...

I was down at The Banks before a Reds game last week and the Moerline house was packed. My wife and I headed over to Johnny Rockets to grab a bite to eat and then after the game she had a craving for ice cream so we went to Orange Leaf. Its nice with everything being so conveinent.

I do think that several of the locations will become revolving doors. I think the Lager House as well as the Holy Grail will make it without much of an issue. I don't know about Toby Keith's bar or about Johnny Rockets. Rockets food isn't all that impressive and its priced pretty high. When Ruth Chris and Wine Guy Biestro open up they will have a bunch of options and it should draw more of a crowd down there. I just don't know if that many restaurants will make it in that area. One thing that I think needs to change is on non game days they can't charge $10 to park. Thats a little steep if you ask me considering you can eat in most places without paying to park and the Levee is about half the price.

Here's their website:

I've been to various Yard House locations at least five times the past few years when traveling for work. It's a very solid experience and this is a huge get for the city. So much so, that for my annual work trip to Vegas, it's a mandatory stop among my beer enthusiast co-workers. I'm very excited to have one coming to Cincinnati.

Their claim of 200 beers on tap may be an exaggeration but it's at least 150. They have a big windowed room with all the kegs visible and then run the lines via stainless steel pipes to a massive ring of taps in the center of an island bar. It's pretty cool how they integrate the beer lines into the decor of the place.

My only concern is that there will be overlap between the Yard House and the Lager House. They're similar experiences (both quite good) at the same price point.
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-08-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Sounds like a great addition and will give us beer drinkers an option when the Lager House is packed. Might even help keep the Lager House honest on pricing...

I found this disappointing on two fronts:

1. Another chain restaurant for the Banks.
    2. Another "Casual American" style pub.

I get that, in this economy, you're going to have a tough time luring any place to a development that isn't backed by a national brand... but at the same time, it'd be nice to see some different dining choices. If you're going to offer chain dining found any number of places, at least try to have some variety. You've got this place, Moerlein and the forthcoming Crave that will have pretty much the same type of menu.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

I get that, in this economy, you're going to have a tough time luring any place to a development that isn't backed by a national brand... but at the same time, it'd be nice to see some different dining choices. If you're going to offer chain dining found any number of places, at least try to have some variety. You've got this place, Moerlein and the forthcoming Crave that will have pretty much the same type of menu.
    Personally, I think it would be great to have a German-style restaurant/beer garden in the Banks to play on Cincinnati's German heritage. Not something on the scale of the Hofbrauhaus mind you, but something smaller. And rather than focusing on the beer, the focus would be on the food.

My idea for a restaurant would be in the style of a local German kneipe/gaststube. The menu would include some German standards folks are familiar with, but also have some Austro-Hungarian/Czech/Northern Italian fare as well. I'd work with a local butcher to get a selection of sausages as authentic to the German originals as possible. The restaurant would have a beer garden for good weather and a grill open to the street, where I would sell sausages on house-baked rolls to those walking by on their way to the game. Beyond just the standard bratwurst, I'd offer kaesekrainers, bosnas/currywurst, weisswurst, and other such street food typical of Germany and Austria.

Once that restaurant is successful, I would go for the real Authentic German experience and open up a Doner Kebab next door.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Once that restaurant is successful, I would go for the real Authentic German experience and open up a Doner Kebab next door.

Not only would that be awesome, but I garuntee the I'd be carrying one into every Reds game I attended if they're anywhere near as good as the ones I had in Bavaria.

Personally, I think it would be great to have a German-style restaurant/beer garden in the Banks to play on Cincinnati's German heritage. Not something on the scale of the Hofbrauhaus mind you, but something smaller. And rather than focusing on the beer, the focus would be on the food.

My idea for a restaurant would be in the style of a local German kneipe/gaststube. The menu would include some German standards folks are familiar with, but also have some Austro-Hungarian/Czech/Northern Italian fare as well. I'd work with a local butcher to get a selection of sausages as authentic to the German originals as possible. The restaurant would have a beer garden for good weather and a grill open to the street, where I would sell sausages on house-baked rolls to those walking by on their way to the game. Beyond just the standard bratwurst, I'd offer kaesekrainers, bosnas/currywurst, weisswurst, and other such street food typical of Germany and Austria.

Just my opinion but traditional German food is disgusting. Its a nitch market and I don't think traditional German food would work. Cincinnati may have been a German town but I think the Moerline house is about as German as it could get to work.

I do think that some kind of unique restaurant would really be cool at the banks. I think it would be very cool to have something unique and local down at the banks. Some of the best restaurants in the city are small local joints that have no other locations. There is a deli over in Mt Lookout on Observatory that is a very cool concept that I think would work down on the banks. Its more of an European style where you get deli sandwhiches and such. You get some thing like that and enable people to go over to a park and eat and you could have a great restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Just my opinion but traditional German food is disgusting. Its a nitch market and I don't think traditional German food would work. Cincinnati may have been a German town but I think the Moerline house is about as German as it could get to work.

I do think that some kind of unique restaurant would really be cool at the banks. I think it would be very cool to have something unique and local down at the banks. Some of the best restaurants in the city are small local joints that have no other locations. There is a deli over in Mt Lookout on Observatory that is a very cool concept that I think would work down on the banks. Its more of an European style where you get deli sandwhiches and such. You get some thing like that and enable people to go over to a park and eat and you could have a great restaurant.
    You must not have had real German food, but rather the cheap approximation some restaurants here serve, which I have found to be pretty lacking as well. German cuisine is actually a lot more diverse than what "German" restaurants here usually offer. Being in middle of Europe it has influenced and has been influenced by just about every other cuisine on the continent. There is a lot more to it than just pork, potatoes and sauerkraut. Styles differ from Berlin to Frankfurt to Munich to Vienna.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I'm okay with these chains going into the Banks. I think these type of restaurants cater to the folks who will be down on the riverfront (sports fans, concert goers). Plus, these are more unique chains and not your Applebees, TGI Fridays, etc. type chains.

If you're looking for local and unique restaurants, you're better off heading up into the main part of downtown or OTR...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

You must not have had real German food, but rather the cheap approximation some restaurants here serve, which I have found to be pretty lacking as well. German cuisine is actually a lot more diverse than what "German" restaurants here usually offer. Being in middle of Europe it has influenced and has been influenced by just about every other cuisine on the continent. There is a lot more to it than just pork, potatoes and sauerkraut. Styles differ from Berlin to Frankfurt to Munich to Vienna.
    Isn't Vienna in Austria???

Actually my German food experience was from Munich which I found pretty disgusting. But German McDonalds makes one hell of a double cheesburger, a little pricey though. It was only for a short period of time but I found the food to be bland and foul smelling in general.

What do you think of Mecklenberg's? Is that authenic German food?

I understand what you're saying and I do think they have to be careful how many of these types of places they put down there. I generally frown on chains as well but this isn't a chain that's found everywhere.

I like competition. Right now I'd be hesitant to go to Lager House on a Reds game night for fear of the crowds but if the Yard House were there, I'd head down and go there if Lager House was packed

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Some of the best restaurants in the city are small local joints that have no other locations. There is a deli over in Mt Lookout on Observatory that is a very cool concept that I think would work down on the banks. Its more of an European style where you get deli sandwhiches and such. You get some thing like that and enable people to go over to a park and eat and you could have a great restaurant.
    Sounds yummy. If you can recall its name, I'd appreciate you sharing it as I'm always looking for that sort of place to try.

Thanks

Sounds yummy. If you can recall its name, I'd appreciate you sharing it as I'm always looking for that sort of place to try.

Thanks
    Ask and you shall recieve. http://www.carlsdeli.com/

Turn Off Ads?