Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 251

Thread: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

  1. #136
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,429

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    But there's something to be said for enjoying your beer with others in a fun downtown atmosphere next to the ballpark.

    You know, you can also save a lot of money just watching the Reds at home instead of going to games. But where's the fun in that?
    Difference is, the game isn't the same at home as it is in person. The beer is.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #137
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,584

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Difference is, the game isn't the same at home as it is in person. The beer is.
    Not necessarily true. I prefer the taste of draft beer, which, while it's possible to have that at home, is not exactly convenient. I can drink a beer at a bar and then go buy the same beer at the store, and the store beer, just isn't as good to my taste buds.

  4. #138
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,684

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    So I met a few friends at the Lager House for a drink after work yesterday. 2 Makers on the rocks, a bowl of soup = $27 and change without tip. Seems a bit high to me, especially considering the bowl of soup was only $6 of that. I'm glad that places are opening up on the Banks and near the stadium, but with those prices, I'll go elsewhere for happy hour. Gorgeous space FWIW.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  5. #139
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,381

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    So I met a few friends at the Lager House for a drink after work yesterday. 2 Makers on the rocks, a bowl of soup = $27 and change without tip. Seems a bit high to me, especially considering the bowl of soup was only $6 of that. I'm glad that places are opening up on the Banks and near the stadium, but with those prices, I'll go elsewhere for happy hour. Gorgeous space FWIW.
    Again, this isn't anything that isn't commonplace in every MLB city. Check out Lodo in Denver, all of New York but especially Manhattan, Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego, downtown Minneapolis, Atlanta, Baltimore Inner Harbor, all of D.C., San Francisco, downtown Milwaukee even - cities are just more expensive. Frankly, Cincinnati got way too used to its Applebee's and Friday's out in the burbs.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 03-09-2012 at 05:33 PM.

  6. #140
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,429

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Again, this isn't anything that isn't commonplace in every MLB city. Check out Lodo in Denver, all of New York but especially Manhattan, Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego, downtown Minneapolis, Atlanta, Baltimore Inner Harbor, all of D.C., San Francisco, downtown Milwaukee even - cities are just more expensive. Frankly, Cincinnati got way too used to its Applebee's and Friday's out in the burbs.
    While I am sure some cities have similar living expenses as Cincinnati, comparing prices in Cincinnati to those in places like Chicago, New York and DC isn't working for me. The cost of living (and thus, the income of the people who live there) is much higher.

  7. #141
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,684

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Again, this isn't anything that isn't commonplace in every MLB city. Check out Lodo in Denver, all of New York but especially Manhattan, Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego, downtown Minneapolis, Atlanta, Baltimore Inner Harbor, all of D.C., San Francisco, downtown Milwaukee even - cities are just more expensive. Frankly, Cincinnati got way too used to its Applebee's and Friday's out in the burbs.
    Thanks for the quick education on the cosmopolitan lifestyle, but a $10.50 Makers on the rocks is expensive. Period, end of story. Oh, and having traveled extensively away from "Applebee's and Friday's out in the burbs," I feel pretty confident in my assessment.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  8. #142
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Sounds like the Banks needs a good bar--------a good sushi bar.

    Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

  9. #143
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,684

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Sounds like the Banks needs a good bar--------a good sushi bar.

    Rem
    I like it.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  10. #144
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Sounds like the Banks needs a good bar--------a good sushi bar.

    Rem
    Sushi is taking off in other parts of town. In fact in the Hyde Park/Mount Lookout area there's a sushi war of sorts going on that savvy folks are taking advantage of. They're running huge half price sales. I took advantage of that myself a few weeks ago. My wife and I had a whole table of sushi along with 3 or 4 drinks (total, not a piece) and the total bill was in the mid $40 dollar range. I'm learning to really like this sushi stuff!

    Yes, I agree. A good sushi place would do quite nicely down there. Good idea!

  11. #145
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,429

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Again, this isn't anything that isn't commonplace in every MLB city. Check out Lodo in Denver, all of New York but especially Manhattan, Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego, downtown Minneapolis, Atlanta, Baltimore Inner Harbor, all of D.C., San Francisco, downtown Milwaukee even - cities are just more expensive. Frankly, Cincinnati got way too used to its Applebee's and Friday's out in the burbs.
    Went to the Hofbrauhaus this weekend. Grabbed a Bacon Cheeseburger and a Pepsi (with plenty of fries) for under $12 (not including the tip). Isn't the Hofbrauhaus a strong comparison for the Lager House?

  12. #146
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Went to the Hofbrauhaus this weekend. Grabbed a Bacon Cheeseburger and a Pepsi (with plenty of fries) for under $12 (not including the tip). Isn't the Hofbrauhaus a strong comparison for the Lager House?
    It is comparable indeed but I gotta ask, why would a you, a non drinker, go to the Hofbrauhaus and get American food? A much better bet for a bacon cheeseburger, fries and a Pepsi would be Johnny Rockets. If I'm not in the mood for a beer and some German food I wouldn't choose the Hofbrauhaus.

  13. #147
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,124

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Went to the Hofbrauhaus this weekend. Grabbed a Bacon Cheeseburger and a Pepsi (with plenty of fries) for under $12 (not including the tip). Isn't the Hofbrauhaus a strong comparison for the Lager House?
    Sure, that's a good comp. Although I would venture to guess that they don't put a lot of thought into their burgers, and therefore charge less for them, with the focus being on their more traditional German fare (which the prices seem to back up).

    It's fine that you don't want to go to the Lager House. Just one less person I'll have to get by to secure my seat before a game.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

  14. #148
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,429

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It is comparable indeed but I gotta ask, why would a you, a non drinker, go to the Hofbrauhaus and get American food? A much better bet for a bacon cheeseburger, fries and a Pepsi would be Johnny Rockets. If I'm not in the mood for a beer and some German food I wouldn't choose the Hofbrauhaus.
    My buddy is heading to Afghanistan in April, but this past weekend was his last weekend in Cincinnati. He wanted to go there for dinner, so we did. I would have certainly chosen another place.

  15. #149
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,429

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Sure, that's a good comp. Although I would venture to guess that they don't put a lot of thought into their burgers, and therefore charge less for them, with the focus being on their more traditional German fare (which the prices seem to back up).

    It's fine that you don't want to go to the Lager House. Just one less person I'll have to get by to secure my seat before a game.
    Why would you think that they don't put a lot of thought into their burgers, but another brew house would? Because they "are german" based? There honestly isn't much you can do to a burger that makes it some special secret taste.

  16. #150
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,124

    Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why would you think that they don't put a lot of thought into their burgers, but another brew house would? Because they "are german" based? There honestly isn't much you can do to a burger that makes it some special secret taste.
    Because people don't go to Hofbrauhaus for the burgers. There's a reason it's on the last page of their food menu. It's not what they want people to order and the quality probably suffers as a result. I personally would be much more inclined to have a burger at the Lager House because I'd be eating Schnitzel or Wurst at the Hofbrauhaus.

    And we'll just have to agree to disagree on the things that you can do to make food taste better. I happen to think that if you have better ingredients and a higher grade of meat you can do a hell of a lot to a burger.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25