Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    But there's something to be said for enjoying your beer with others in a fun downtown atmosphere next to the ballpark.

You know, you can also save a lot of money just watching the Reds at home instead of going to games. But where's the fun in that?
    Difference is, the game isn't the same at home as it is in person. The beer is.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Difference is, the game isn't the same at home as it is in person. The beer is.
    Not necessarily true. I prefer the taste of draft beer, which, while it's possible to have that at home, is not exactly convenient. I can drink a beer at a bar and then go buy the same beer at the store, and the store beer, just isn't as good to my taste buds.

So I met a few friends at the Lager House for a drink after work yesterday. 2 Makers on the rocks, a bowl of soup = $27 and change without tip. Seems a bit high to me, especially considering the bowl of soup was only $6 of that. I'm glad that places are opening up on the Banks and near the stadium, but with those prices, I'll go elsewhere for happy hour. Gorgeous space FWIW.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    So I met a few friends at the Lager House for a drink after work yesterday. 2 Makers on the rocks, a bowl of soup = $27 and change without tip. Seems a bit high to me, especially considering the bowl of soup was only $6 of that. I'm glad that places are opening up on the Banks and near the stadium, but with those prices, I'll go elsewhere for happy hour. Gorgeous space FWIW.
    Again, this isn't anything that isn't commonplace in every MLB city. Check out Lodo in Denver, all of New York but especially Manhattan, Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego, downtown Minneapolis, Atlanta, Baltimore Inner Harbor, all of D.C., San Francisco, downtown Milwaukee even - cities are just more expensive. Frankly, Cincinnati got way too used to its Applebee's and Friday's out in the burbs.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 03-09-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Again, this isn't anything that isn't commonplace in every MLB city. Check out Lodo in Denver, all of New York but especially Manhattan, Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego, downtown Minneapolis, Atlanta, Baltimore Inner Harbor, all of D.C., San Francisco, downtown Milwaukee even - cities are just more expensive. Frankly, Cincinnati got way too used to its Applebee's and Friday's out in the burbs.
    While I am sure some cities have similar living expenses as Cincinnati, comparing prices in Cincinnati to those in places like Chicago, New York and DC isn't working for me. The cost of living (and thus, the income of the people who live there) is much higher.

Thanks for the quick education on the cosmopolitan lifestyle, but a $10.50 Makers on the rocks is expensive. Period, end of story. Oh, and having traveled extensively away from "Applebee's and Friday's out in the burbs," I feel pretty confident in my assessment.

Sounds like the Banks needs a good bar--------a good sushi bar.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post

Rem
    I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post

Rem
    Sushi is taking off in other parts of town. In fact in the Hyde Park/Mount Lookout area there's a sushi war of sorts going on that savvy folks are taking advantage of. They're running huge half price sales. I took advantage of that myself a few weeks ago. My wife and I had a whole table of sushi along with 3 or 4 drinks (total, not a piece) and the total bill was in the mid $40 dollar range. I'm learning to really like this sushi stuff!

Yes, I agree. A good sushi place would do quite nicely down there. Good idea!

Went to the Hofbrauhaus this weekend. Grabbed a Bacon Cheeseburger and a Pepsi (with plenty of fries) for under $12 (not including the tip). Isn't the Hofbrauhaus a strong comparison for the Lager House?

Went to the Hofbrauhaus this weekend. Grabbed a Bacon Cheeseburger and a Pepsi (with plenty of fries) for under $12 (not including the tip). Isn't the Hofbrauhaus a strong comparison for the Lager House?
    It is comparable indeed but I gotta ask, why would a you, a non drinker, go to the Hofbrauhaus and get American food? A much better bet for a bacon cheeseburger, fries and a Pepsi would be Johnny Rockets. If I'm not in the mood for a beer and some German food I wouldn't choose the Hofbrauhaus.

Sure, that's a good comp. Although I would venture to guess that they don't put a lot of thought into their burgers, and therefore charge less for them, with the focus being on their more traditional German fare (which the prices seem to back up).

It's fine that you don't want to go to the Lager House. Just one less person I'll have to get by to secure my seat before a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It is comparable indeed but I gotta ask, why would a you, a non drinker, go to the Hofbrauhaus and get American food? A much better bet for a bacon cheeseburger, fries and a Pepsi would be Johnny Rockets. If I'm not in the mood for a beer and some German food I wouldn't choose the Hofbrauhaus.
    My buddy is heading to Afghanistan in April, but this past weekend was his last weekend in Cincinnati. He wanted to go there for dinner, so we did. I would have certainly chosen another place.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Sure, that's a good comp. Although I would venture to guess that they don't put a lot of thought into their burgers, and therefore charge less for them, with the focus being on their more traditional German fare (which the prices seem to back up).

It's fine that you don't want to go to the Lager House. Just one less person I'll have to get by to secure my seat before a game.
    Why would you think that they don't put a lot of thought into their burgers, but another brew house would? Because they "are german" based? There honestly isn't much you can do to a burger that makes it some special secret taste.

Why would you think that they don't put a lot of thought into their burgers, but another brew house would? Because they "are german" based? There honestly isn't much you can do to a burger that makes it some special secret taste.
    Because people don't go to Hofbrauhaus for the burgers. There's a reason it's on the last page of their food menu. It's not what they want people to order and the quality probably suffers as a result. I personally would be much more inclined to have a burger at the Lager House because I'd be eating Schnitzel or Wurst at the Hofbrauhaus.

And we'll just have to agree to disagree on the things that you can do to make food taste better. I happen to think that if you have better ingredients and a higher grade of meat you can do a hell of a lot to a burger.

Turn Off Ads?