Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Sea Ray:

I think that they have a very nice menu. After I posted yesterday I wanted Suchi. Ichiban has both a nice menu and very good prices. Here's what I had for lunch yestrday with the first price being on the Ichiban menu and the 2nd price what I paid. Hamachi: (2 pieces) 3.50/5.50 Ikura: (2 pieces) 4.00/5.25. Of course, if those prices are half-off it will be different if/when they go back to regular pricing.

Personally, I didn't think your observations regarding the staff were racist. Even in California, it's pretty much the same setup as you mentioned. Asians (in my experience, at least) are very good at picking up languages (certainly better than me---really, has anyone else ever taken 4 years of first year German? ).

BTW, the profession of being a shushi chef is very highly respected in Asia since it entails a lot of expertiese of choosing good fish and the required skills of sliceing it or cutting it. Some sushi chefs come from a long line of shushi chefs in their family while many are trained at the profession at schools that are as serious as many of the culinary schools that we train chefs of the future here in the US.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm a novice at sushi to be sure. At that particular place any written price is the regular price. You order something for whatever it is on the menu and your bill will show :

Salmon Roll $8
    -50% off -$4
    Shrimp roll $9
    -50% off -$4.50

I wouldn't know good sushi from anything else but it was "yummy"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My guess is Ruth Chris will do better than a soul food restaurant. I'd say keep Ruth Chris and trade Mahagony's for Sushi.
    It's certainly possible. Of the two, I'd be more apt to go to Ruth's Chris because I'm a somewhat picky eater and have never really developed an appreciation for soul food. That being said I've never felt like Cincinnati was lacking in upscale steakhouse options with Morton's and the various Jeff Ruby restaurants so I don't see Ruth's Chris adding much to the enhance the dining options in the city. As such I'd rather see the space used for a place like Mahagony's which has the potential to bring something unique to the table, rather than adding more of what we already have.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Good sushi places in Cincinnati:

Dancing Wasabi - Hyde Park
    Green Papaya - Hyde Park
    Teak - Mt. Adams
    Ichiban - Mt. Lookout

But, best sushi place, IMO, is Maki Express in Clifton. It's so small you'd miss it if you didn't know what you were looking for, but it's incredibly fresh and very fantastic.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Good sushi places in Cincinnati:

Dancing Wasabi - Hyde Park
    Green Papaya - Hyde Park
    Teak - Mt. Adams
    Ichiban - Mt. Lookout

But, best sushi place, IMO, is Maki Express in Clifton. It's so small you'd miss it if you didn't know what you were looking for, but it's incredibly fresh and very fantastic.
    I am not a sushi guy, but a good friend of mine swears by Dancing Wasabi for sushi in Cincinnati, so mark that down as another recommendation for them.

LOL. I've seen Wasabi make people dance. I once took a Customer and a mexican guy that was part of our staff to a Sushi Bar for lunch ' Natcho' (that's what he went by: his actual name was Ignatio) had been eating heavily spiced food from before he was ever born. Unfortunately, he thought the wasabi was avacado and swallowed it in one big gulp. Talk about having wide open eyes and dancing! I thiought we were going to have to find a fire hose and stick it in his mouth to calm him down.
    Anyway, thanks for the sushi rcommendations. I'll save this thread since I'd guess that they they don't serve shushi @ GAB. Or, maybe I'm wrong. A lot of ballparks are widening their selection of food these days.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    I'd love to see a sushi bar go up in the Banks.
    Looky what I found...

Crave – an American-cuisine restaurant that includes a sushi bar and locally sourced foods – is the latest tenant to join The Banks riverfront development.
    Also:

Early next year, Nashville-based live-music venue Tin Roof is scheduled to open, and Bengals defensive end Frostee Rucker has said he plans to open Orange Leaf, a frozen yogurt shop, by March.

Hamilton County officials also have said that developers are working to lure national chain Ruth’s Chris Steak House.

The Banks developers have yet to confirm Orange Leaf or Ruth’s Chris Steak House.

Meanwhile, three retailers remain in limbo for the riverfront development.

Huey’s 24/7 Diner, The Wine Loft and La Crepe Nanou were initially announced to have opening dates this year, but their owner, New Orleans-based Doyle Restaurant Group, is facing financing issues, according to Carter.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...staurant-Banks

Here's a few more updates on where things stand:
    It didn’t take long for The Banks development, Cincinnati’s answer to Newport on the Levee across the Ohio River, to spill into the county courthouse. Just a few months after a group of three New Orleans-based dining and drinking establishments failed to open as scheduled, Banks landlord Riverbanks Renaissance Phase 1-A Owner LLC has filed suit to collect back rent and more than $200,000 in improvements.

The suit, filed in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court by Earl Messer and Dominick Gerace of Taft Stettinius & Hollister, names as defendants TWL LCN TB Cincinnati LLC (the corporate name for The Wine Loft wine bar and La Crepe Nanou restaurant) and Huey’s TB Cincinnati LLC (better known as Huey’s 24/7 Diner). It also names their parent company, Doyle Restaurant Group, which guaranteed the lease. Doyle is based in New Orleans.

The Banks announced exactly one year ago that The Wine Loft, La Crepe Nanou and Huey’s were coming. As agreed under the lease, Riverbanks paid $128,160 to TWL as a first installment toward its interior improvements. It paid $80,000 to Huey’s. For their part, TWL was supposed to start paying $17,644 a month in rent – Huey’s $11,110 per month – six months after they signed the lease. They were also supposed to submit their building plans and contribute toward The Banks’ operating and marketing funds. They were supposed to open by Oct. 7.
    http://thebellwetherdaily.blogspot.c...laims-new.html

A new tenant has signed on for The Banks development.

The Wine Guy, Craig Decker, will expand his popular wine bar and shop concept on the south side of Freedom Way.

His Columbus location has been voted best new restaurant and best wine shop by several publications in that city.
    Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/money/30049448/d...#ixzz1oxPbjIGt

Is any of this outdated? If so please post updates to this thread

Orange Leaf will be open by Opening Day.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

I believe The Banks (and the development boom going on all over downtown and OTR) is going to have a significant impact on Reds attendance this summer and going forward. This is the first time, really since Crosley Field, that the Reds will play in a true neighborhood setting and not in a get-in/get-out island stadium surrounded by acres of surface parking lots. The ability of this area to draw casual and even non-baseball fans shouldn't be understated.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Orange Leaf will be open by Opening Day.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

I believe The Banks (and the development boom going on all over downtown and OTR) is going to have a significant impact on Reds attendance this summer and going forward. This is the first time, really since Crosley Field, that the Reds will play in a true neighborhood setting and not in a get-in/get-out island stadium surrounded by acres of surface parking lots. The ability of this area to draw casual and even non-baseball fans shouldn't be understated.
    The deal brings retail space in The Banks’ first phase to 84 percent leased, according to developers Carter and The Dawson Co. Other tenants include The Holy Grail, Johnny Rockets, Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill and the Police Welcome Center. Signed but not yet open are Tin Roof, Crave, The Wine Guy, Mahogany’s and Ruth’s Chris.

Retail at The Banks has brought more than 300 new jobs to the region so far, developers said.
    And that doesn't even include the Lager House who employs 200

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sushi is taking off in other parts of town. In fact in the Hyde Park/Mount Lookout area there's a sushi war of sorts going on that savvy folks are taking advantage of. They're running huge half price sales. I took advantage of that myself a few weeks ago. My wife and I had a whole table of sushi along with 3 or 4 drinks (total, not a piece) and the total bill was in the mid $40 dollar range. I'm learning to really like this sushi stuff!

Yes, I agree. A good sushi place would do quite nicely down there. Good idea!
    There's been a good amount of excellant sushi places in Cincy for over a decade now (and perhaps much longer, but that is as far back as my personal sushi awareness goes)

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    What are the names of these two warring sushi bars? In case I get to Cincinnati this summer. Right now I'm eting a lot of Ikura (the one with the nice salmon roe on top that pops in your mouth when you bite it and a lot of Hamachi (yellowtail tuna) which is very buttery. They catch a lot of Yellowtail off the coast of Newport Beach as well as the rest of SoCal and my favorite fishouse in NB has its' own fishing boat which they send out daily at dawn in a triangle from NB to Catalina Island (about 26 miles) and then down to San Diego (about 100 miles south).

They harpoon all of the fish they catch (no long lines) and they are back at the dock by noon. All of the fish they catch goes on the lunch or dinner menu that day so it's really, fresh! Sushi is very low fat and relatively inexpensive unless you are into sme of the more unusual offerings like sea urchin with a quail's egg.

Hamachi to you!

Rem
    Its been 8 years since I've lived in Cincy, but there used to be some great sushi places up in mount adams as well. The list above reminded of the name: Teak, I'd definently recommend that place.
    Last edited by medford; 03-13-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Its been 8 years since I've lived in Cincy, but there used to be some great sushi places up in mount adams as well. The list above reminded of the name: Teak, I'd definently recommend that place.
    My wife and I love Teak. It has yet to let us down.

I've been to Teak and I wasn't impressed. Maybe a 'West Coast' bias? (famous shrug.)

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    My wife and I love Teak. It has yet to let us down.
    I have only been to Teak once and wasn't impressed. For my money the best Thai (and my favorite restaurant) in the city is Bangkok Bistro.

For my money the local Krogers doesn't make awful Sushi. Its decent, priced right, and when you add soy sauce along with wasabi it makes for a decent meal.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have only been to Teak once and wasn't impressed. For my money the best Thai (and my favorite restaurant) in the city is Bangkok Bistro.

For my money the local Krogers doesn't make awful Sushi. Its decent, priced right, and when you add soy sauce along with wasabi it makes for a decent meal.
    got me thinking, any daytonians on this thread? Thai 9 remains my favorite Thai place that I've been to.

I'll agree w/ Kroger, the new one that we shop at (marketplace) has some great sushi, well at least the roll my wife purchased, can't speak to a large variety. Its not top notch, but for the convience and cost, it does a surprisingly good job.

Turn Off Ads?