Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I was there on Saturday night and these are my impressions:

1) Fantastic views. Heck even Mike Brown turned on his lights at PBS for the event!
    2) Wonderful Cincinnati themes throughout the restaurant
    3) I counted 23 beers on tap right now, including 8 of the Moerlein brand
    4) Great professional service by the staff. If that's any indication, they will be a well run organization
    5) The "ceremony" was too long and too boring. Where was the Mayor?
    6) Parking could be an issue. Parking in the garage under the restaurant cost $8 for the night

I overheard one guy give his opinion that you'll have to get there by 8am on Opening Day if you expect to get a seat.
    I'm curious what the prices will be such as for a beer or a meal. As others test it out, please fill us in with your impressions
    I went tonight, to what I think was the public opening (i.e., no charge to get in).

I thought it was great. $7 for a 22 oz beer, which I don't think was too bad. The beer menu was even better than I thought, and my expectations were pretty high. I thought the food was a little overpriced for what it is, but not too bad.

It is going to be so great/crowded in the summer. Really great views from the deck. I think it's going to do very well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Banks is absolutely exploding. Toby Keith's has been slammed every weekend night it's been open and the weeknight crowds (I went on a Tuesday) have been quite large also. Add that to the immense popularity of Holy Grail and the gem that is the Moerlein Lager House and you have something that is uniquely Cincinnati - and just awesome.

And all this during the winter months, when people worried if the crowds will come. When the Reds start playing, The Banks is going to be off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    The Banks is absolutely exploding. Toby Keith's has been slammed every weekend night it's been open and the weeknight crowds (I went on a Tuesday) have been quite large also. Add that to the immense popularity of Holy Grail and the gem that is the Moerlein Lager House and you have something that is uniquely Cincinnati - and just awesome.

And all this during the winter months, when people worried if the crowds will come. When the Reds start playing, The Banks is going to be off the charts.
    Hopefully that will lead to an increase in attendance at Reds games as people now can make it a 1 stop evening. Stop and grab dinner at one place, head over to the game, head back to the banks for a few pops following the game, get back in your car and drive back home. The Reds have been missing that for a long while. As of last year, you went to the game, then pretty much had to jump in your car and head elsewhere aside from a few smaller joints around the area. It didn't exactly lead to a saturday conversation of "what do you want to do for dinner tonight? Oh lets go down to spot X, then walk over to see the Reds"

Here's the menu at the Lager House:

http://www.moerleinlagerhouse.com/menus/dinner-menu/

I will say there aren't any deals there. They'll be charging nearly $1 a (chicken) wing and $11 for a burger no fries. So if a family of three goes there for a soft drink, burger and fries, you'll be looking at a bill of over $50. We'll see how this goes but visits there will be a splurge for most of us

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I will say there aren't any deals there. They'll be charging nearly $1 a (chicken) wing and $11 for a burger no fries. So if a family of three goes there for a soft drink, burger and fries, you'll be looking at a bill of over $50. We'll see how this goes but visits there will be a splurge for most of us
    Well, count me out as stopping in there. I am a burger guy, and while I don't like paying 8-9 bucks for one, I will splurge every now and again on one to keep others happy with where they want to eat. But I am not paying that kind of money for a burger with no fries.

Eh, looks like a menu that you'd see at below average to average priced pubs in larger cities like New York, D.C., or Chicago. The price point may be a little high for mid-westerners but the Banks needs a place where you can go for more than just wings and cruddy burger.

Thirteen dollars isn't going to get me to stop from trying their Moer-Burger. Which sounds amazing!

These are city prices and are in line with (if not less than) what you can expect to pay in Denver, Washington, Chicago, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia or just about any other city's downtown that has professional sports.

For those that don't want to pay those prices, there are plenty of places within a four-block walk of GABP, including O'Malley's, Head First, Wendy's, Skyline and dozens of other places. And you can expect to see a Panera opening up at Fountain Square later this summer. Of course, that won't help people who don't want to walk more than 100 steps from their car to their ballpark seat, but downtowns aren't going to appeal to those types anyway.

The days of people saying there is nothing to do around the ballpark or nowhere to go before/after games are long over. Anyone who says that now is just wrong.

Some of those things diffently looked overpriced (Wings, Cobb Salad, Fish & Chips) but not overly priced to keep me from trying it at some point. I wondered if the price point was established to keep young children out of there, but then the kids menu seems very reasonable. It will be interesting to see how the menu holds up, or if they'll eventually be dropping everything by about $2 and including a side. I'm sure the place is going to be pretty busy this summer, but will it fill up more w/ people that have a couple of beers and an app prior or following the game, and get dinner elsewhere, or will the entrees take off?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Some of those things diffently looked overpriced (Wings, Cobb Salad, Fish & Chips) but not overly priced to keep me from trying it at some point. I wondered if the price point was established to keep young children out of there, but then the kids menu seems very reasonable. It will be interesting to see how the menu holds up, or if they'll eventually be dropping everything by about $2 and including a side. I'm sure the place is going to be pretty busy this summer, but will it fill up more w/ people that have a couple of beers and an app prior or following the game, and get dinner elsewhere, or will the entrees take off?
    My impression was everything was about $2 too high as well and I'll splurge for now but after it loses its newness I'll shop around more. They signed a 40 yr lease so they've got to make it for the long haul and I'm rooting for them

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Eh, looks like a menu that you'd see at below average to average priced pubs in larger cities like New York, D.C., or Chicago. The price point may be a little high for mid-westerners but the Banks needs a place where you can go for more than just wings and cruddy burger.

Thirteen dollars isn't going to get me to stop from trying their Moer-Burger. Which sounds amazing!
    PJ Clarkes in NYC is about $11 for a cheeseburger with nothing. Fries? $6 and change. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    PJ Clarkes in NYC is about $11 for a cheeseburger with nothing. Fries? $6 and change. Ridiculous.
    Lager House is also $11 for cheeseburger. Is Cincinnati ready for NY prices? We'll see

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Lager House is also $11 for cheeseburger. Is Cincinnati ready for NY prices? We'll see
    Not until I start getting NY pay.

What is their definition of sweet potato chips or coleslaw? They are included with a burger. There are times a good fresh coleslaw would be preferred to a pile of fries. Also the sweet potato chips, are they made on site, a "gourmet chip"? I usually detest potato chips. For that kind of location, I could be convinced to pay $2 more for fries, the key is the quality of the burger. If we are talking something outstanding, than yes.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I couldn't find it on the web, but the Enquirer's food critic Polly Campbell had a complementary photo/write-up article on the Moerlein Lager House. She is usually a tough critic. She did mention it was pricey (onion rings came out to be $1 per ring).

Maybe in a day or 2 it will be online.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

$11 is pricey for a cheeseburger but you go to a chain restaurant and they are going to charge you $8-$9 for a burger. The entrees aren't any more expensive than what you'll find at any mid-priced restaurant in town. If no one goes there because the food is overpriced, they will lower the prices. But I don't think that's going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?