Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

The prices look a tad on the high side, but nothing to keep me away. The real question for me is what does their happy hour look like?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    $11 is pricey for a cheeseburger but you go to a chain restaurant and they are going to charge you $8-$9 for a burger. The entrees aren't any more expensive than what you'll find at any mid-priced restaurant in town. If no one goes there because the food is overpriced, they will lower the prices. But I don't think that's going to happen.
    Of course at a chain place I also get a nice large side of fries for that 8-9 bucks. Where as here, it is 13-15 bucks for that burger/fry combo. That is a significant increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I couldn't find it on the web, but the Enquirer's food critic Polly Campbell had a complementary photo/write-up article on the Moerlein Lager House. She is usually a tough critic. She did mention it was pricey (onion rings came out to be $1 per ring).

Maybe in a day or 2 it will be online.
    http://communitypress.cincinnati.com...ommunities%7Cs
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course at a chain place I also get a nice large side of fries for that 8-9 bucks. Where as here, it is 13-15 bucks for that burger/fry combo. That is a significant increase.
    True, but this is not a chain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

But you will also get lower quality chain food. Quality always trumps quantity in my book. I personally prefer to eat at a good local place once rather than a chain restaurant several times.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    But you will also get lower quality chain food. Quality always trumps quantity in my book. I personally prefer to eat at a good local place once rather than a chain restaurant several times.
    Lower quality, perhaps, but is the 60% price increase of an already expensive burger worth it?

I don't care if I eat at a local place or a chain place. I just want some good food for a price that isn't ridiculous. Right now, the prices are ridiculous. I can buy an entire large LaRosas pizza for the price of a burger and fries at this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Lager House is also $11 for cheeseburger. Is Cincinnati ready for NY prices? We'll see
    PJs burgers aren't exactly the biggest burgers in town.

While I certainly wouldn't call it cheap, I don't think the price point for the Moerlein Lager is all that unreasonable. A bacon cheeseburger from Terry's is right around $11 without fries and fries end up being around $2 a person, so a similar price at the Lagerhouse seems reasonable as long as the food is good.

Expecting Applebee's pricing at a place like the Lagerhouse seems unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    While I certainly wouldn't call it cheap, I don't think the price point for the Moerlein Lager is all that unreasonable. A bacon cheeseburger from Terry's is right around $11 without fries and fries end up being around $2 a person, so a similar price at the Lagerhouse seems reasonable as long as the food is good.

Expecting Applebee's pricing at a place like the Lagerhouse seems unreasonable.
    Never been to Terry's, but if that is their price, then they are also unreasonable.

Never been to Terry's, but if that is their price, then they are also unreasonable.
    According to you.

Alas, the world doesn't run by the whims of Dougdirt. I'm merely pointing out that the price at the Lagerhouse isn't all that removed from what you'd expect to pay at other places in town. I've never been to Terry's without some kind of wait, so it would seem that there are a lot of people who feel it's a reasonable price...

In fairness to Terry's, their burgers are much bigger than most places. And much better.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quality food costs a little more. If value is your number one concern there is always Red Robin or Applebee's.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Quality food costs a little more. If value is your number one concern there is always Red Robin or Applebee's.
    I find those places to be a little overpriced too. I am cheap, I will be the first to admit that.

I think the key word in the discussion is "location". You cannot compare the Lager House prices w/a chain out in the 'burbs w/free parking. You're paying for a unique dining and drinking experience. It's right next to GABP on the banks of the Ohio and a brewhouse as well. If you are into crafted beers this would be the place to go. Big ? would I go? Probably not, just like I rarely go to Rockbottom because I'm not much of a alcohol drinker.

Now, if they open up a gourmet pizza joint on the banks I'm there!
    Last edited by KittyDuran; 03-03-2012 at 09:13 AM.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I find those places to be a little overpriced too. I am cheap, I will be the first to admit that.
    Nothing wrong w/that...I take food and water/pop into GABP, and park on the street after 6pm!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?